Milledgeville Police Handcuff 6-Year-Old Girl For Misbehaving At School

I almost always come down on the side of the police, at least to the extent of benefit of the doubt, but C'mon Man

"Our policy is that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," said Milledgeville Chief of Police Dray Swicord.

I'm not crazy about all the excuses being made for the child's behavior that led up to this, but that is a separate issue from cuffing a six year old little girl and hauling her downtown. Had to be in Georgia.

There is a video at the link

http://www.13wmaz.co...6-Year-Old-Girl

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. - Milledgeville's acting police chief, Dray Swicord, said Tuesday that he stands by an officer's decision to handcuff an elementary school student for safety Friday after she allegedly threw a tantrum.

Swicord said the arresting officer is not under investigation for his actions.

According to the police report, kindergartner Salecia Johnson is accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture.

She was crying in the principal's office at Creekside Elementary before police arrived Friday. The report says the girl knocked over a shelf that injured the principal. It also says she was seen biting the door knob of the office and jumping on the paper shredder. And, it says, she attempted to break a glass frame above the shredder.

The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted and was cuffed.

"Our policy is that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," said Milledgeville Chief of Police Dray Swicord.

They took the child to the police station where she was charged with simple assault and damage to property. Because of her age, she will not have to go to court.

13WMAZ spoke with several other Central Georgia police and sheriff's departments. None of them could remember handcuffing a child that young. They say the use of handcuffs would be at the officer's discretion and based on whether the child is a threat to herself or others.

"A 6-year-old in kindergarten. They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," said Earnest Johnson, Salecia's father.

"Call the police? Is that the first step? Or is there any other kind of intervention that can be taken to help that child?" asked Candace Ruff.

Police say they tried to contact Johnson's mother but weren't able to reach her.

Her mother, Constance Ruff. says her daughter was suspended and cannot return to school until August.

"She has mood swings some days, which all of us had mood swings some days. I guess that was just one of her bad days that day," said Constance Ruff.

"She might have misbehaved, but I don't think she misbehaved to the point where she should have been handcuffed and taken downtown to the police department," said her aunt, Candace Ruff.

Edited by silentbob1272

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok fess up who saw the headline and initially thought is said midgetville and a certain posers..I mean poster here came to mind?

That could never happen. If the officer tried, said shorty would be barking about how tough he is until the officer was intimidated and let him go.

The only reason I can agree with handcuffing the girl is because she posed a danger to herself if she was not restrained. Reading the article, it states that she was throwing furniture, biting door knobs and knocked a shelf over on the principal. I don't think the officer handcuffed her just because she was going to be in the car, but rather to further restrain her while she was being transported.

Nice to see reason and logic down here. If they didn't handcuff her and she slices her wrists open on broken glass, then the Mob wants someone to swing for NOT restraining the precious lil darlin.

I work with K0 K1 (ages 3, 4, and 5) I can think of at last twenty incidents in which children should be cuffed. And if she decides she's going to keep this behavior going she might as well get used to the bracelets now.

Not trying to antagonize...I'm sincerely curious. What are some of the twenty incidents in which children the age you described should be cuffed.

When children black out they are dangerous to the dainty sol teachers and other children in their class. And children that age cannot control their emotions so when they wild out trying to calm them often times makes it worse. There were easily twenty incidents but they all revolve around the same unsafe types of actions. Hitting, kicking, spitting, throwing, going for scissors, s swinging big wooden blocks, running away from the building, all kinds of just general unsafe ****.

But I always forget I got a regular Ed and special Ed mix of inner city kids in my room so maybe my experiences aren't typical.

When children black out they are dangerous to the dainty sol teachers and other children in their class. And children that age cannot control their emotions so when they wild out trying to calm them often times makes it worse. There were easily twenty incidents but they all revolve around the same unsafe types of actions. Hitting, kicking, spitting, throwing, going for scissors, s swinging big wooden blocks, running away from the building, all kinds of just general unsafe ****.

But I always forget I got a regular Ed and special Ed mix of inner city kids in my room so maybe my experiences aren't typical.

Interesting...do you think that handcuffing senior citizens w alzheimers is a sensible solution? It's noted that they can be dangerous to themselves and others. How about mentally disadvantaged children?

I know you mentioned them in your class, I'm asking if you're a proponent of cuffing them also?

If they are a danger to themselves or others and cant be soothed then yeah, restrain them. Not necessarily in cuffs but if thats what you got handy.

Of course not like they cuff black males tho. Nobody deserves that. I mean like cuff em to a rail or something. So they cant cause harm to themselves but more importantly others. I'm a fan of rifton chairs in my class but all of my kids that would need one are smart enough to get out of them.

If they are a danger to themselves or others and cant be soothed then yeah, restrain them. Not necessarily in cuffs but if thats what you got handy.

Of course not like they cuff black males tho. Nobody deserves that. I mean like cuff em to a rail or something. So they cant cause harm to themselves but more importantly others. I'm a fan of rifton chairs in my class but all of my kids that would need one are smart enough to get out of them.

Oh. Well I can see it from your point of view. I'd like to think better options are available. Just can't get behind this one...

Oh. Well I can see it from your point of view. I'd like to think better options are available. Just can't get behind this one...

if a kid is throwing furniture and biting, what do you do? If I did this back in the 80s I would get the beatdown of the century when I got home. I remember stealing a dime once. Told on myself by telling my mom I ate a cupcake at lunch... She beat me to the school. On the way back and when I got home... Never stole again... Till I found the Internet. :)

if a kid is throwing furniture and biting, what do you do? If I did this back in the 80s I would get the beatdown of the century when I got home. I remember stealing a dime once. Told on myself by telling my mom I ate a cupcake at lunch... She beat me to the school. On the way back and when I got home... Never stole again... Till I found the Internet. smile.png

Do you think your own mother disciplining you is the same as a 6yr old being handcuffed? I'm not saying the little girl is without fault...but as a father I'd be beside myself if my daughter was handcuffed.

Truthfully speaking, although I hate the thought of handcuffing a 6-year old girl, but I can't fault the police for their actions. Since schools are not allowed to spank/paddle anymore and since we've become so sue happy in this country at just about everything, I can't fault the cops.

Do you think your own mother disciplining you is the same as a 6yr old being handcuffed? I'm not saying the little girl is without fault...but as a father I'd be beside myself if my daughter was handcuffed.

so what would you do if the child was acting like this in the class? what should the teacher do? if the child would harm them self by biting a doorknob how do you stop it.

If it was my child i would have been upset, but understood why it had to be done. though I would hope I had raised my child not to behave this way.

so what would you do if the child was acting like this in the class? what should the teacher do? if the child would harm them self by biting a doorknob how do you stop it.

If it was my child i would have been upset, but understood why it had to be done. though I would hope I had raised my child not to behave this way.

It wasn't reported that anyone, including the child was injured. Well, I guess the principal was "injured" by a "shelf pushed over" She must've been drinking the same super negro serum that Trayvon was.

I can't honestly answer you, I have zero expertise in this area. I'm a father, but my children haven't ever displayed this type of behavior. I'm ok with saying I don't know what I would've done...as I don't function in that capacity. It's just that common sense tells me that there just HAS to be a more sensible solution. The PD said she was cuffed because it's protocol...not that she was a tazmanian devil of ninja stars and 9MM's...