Matt Ryan: What I Believe; What I Want...

Quarterback

Folks,

Partly Turner's problem was gaining some extra pounds, but both Ryan and Turner would have done better last season with an OL that could either push for a foot or give our receivers and QB more than 2-3 seconds for deeper routes to develop and deliver the ball at the ideal opening in the route.

Just look what the Cowboy line of the mid 90's did for Aikman, Smith, Irvin and company. I have never in my life seen holes like Smith ran through or the 4-5 seconds Aikman had to find the open receiver!

ive said it a million times. Ryans game is perfect for the 80s and early 90s pre cap league. Theres just not enough money to carry average qbs anymore.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely spot on......and until this FO does a better job of getting some aggressive difference makers on both lines they will essentially be spraying perfume on a turd.

And this is the one single thing that just ticks me off about our management’s shortsightedness.

We've build a pristine house with a fancy decor on a foundation of wet sand and this is bassackwards of how championship teams should be constructed.

The O-line, prior to 2011, certainly exemplified the old whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts adage. Got to point out again, why blow your load on Julio Jones, knowing neither of your front lines are adequate? There is a missing piece to the puzzle and it's not a flattering one. The GM and coaching staff were either desperate or made poor evaluations of personnel.

I'm not quite at the point of declaring JJ an incorrect move. There was a lockout, no trades, no true known dominant OL or DL at where we would have picked last season, or even this season.

We should have addressed our OL during the draft and FA periods in 2009 and 2010. Then, the move to get a Jones like we did would have been more acceptable. Again, this team's management is doing everything in reverse of what it should have. If I were to build a solid OL, the only player on this team I would want right now is Justin Blalock. I think the rest are well below average and even Clabo is average at best (yes, I know he was in the pro bowl, but not in my eyes is he pro bowl talent).

You practice more shallow routes cause every team throws more shallow routes. To try and claim we didn't practice deep routes and thus limited the performance of said patterns on the field is absurd and excuse-making.

how u figure that??? In TC ur installing your plays(playbook).. better yet ill go even before that.. before even TC starts the OC has a very good idea wat plays he will and will not intall going into TC... They even kno how many snaps there going to run... There arnt any two a days so time is even that more important...

Look im not saying they dnt run deep routes in ppractice but if you think they run them as much say saints or packers etc then your wrong...

I'm not quite at the point of declaring JJ an incorrect move. There was a lockout, no trades, no true known dominant OL or DL at where we would have picked last season, or even this season.

We should have addressed our OL during the draft and FA periods in 2009 and 2010. Then, the move to get a Jones like we did would have been more acceptable. Again, this team's management is doing everything in reverse of what it should have. If I were to build a solid OL, the only player on this team I would want right now is Justin Blalock. I think the rest are well below average and even Clabo is average at best (yes, I know he was in the pro bowl, but not in my eyes is he pro bowl talent).

Great OL's aren't cheap. Most OL's in the NFL aren't elite, most are just average, solid, or good. Chicago is the only one that sucks, Philly is below average. That's about it.

Blalock is good. Clabo is good. Todd M is good. RG sucks. Will S. is below average and Baker is bad as is the others. Hawley is above average at center but sucks at RG. You act like it's easy to draft o-linemen. They are just as hard to draft as DE's.

And this is the one single thing that just ticks me off about our management’s shortsightedness.

We've build a pristine house with a fancy decor on a foundation of wet sand and this is bassackwards of how championship teams should be constructed.

I agree. I've been a little dumbfounded as to why it hasn't been addressed. Now, I know that there are many factors we don't know and probably will never know. Deals lost, negotiated badly, targeted players picked up by other teams, etc., and other issues we can only imagine - but still. Enough is enough. It's time to do the thing that will put us over the top and make us competetive against elite teams.

It's impossible to have an elite OL nowadays. The DL's are too big and athletic nowadays.

huh.png

Use whatever term you like, but there are at least 16 teams in the NFL with better OL's that the Falcons and this makes them below average. Did you miss the total domination by the Giants and Packers DL's the last two playoff playoff games?

huh.png

Use whatever term you like, but there are at least 16 teams in the NFL with better OL's that the Falcons and this makes them below average. Did you miss the total domination by the Giants and Packers DL's the last two playoff playoff games?

Falcons line has been rated average. Below average in pass blocking and good in run blocking. It's not hard to dominate with talent when you know Atlanta can't stretch the field.

Falcons line has been rated average. Below average in pass blocking and good in run blocking. It's not hard to dominate with talent when you know Atlanta can't stretch the field.

Did it at all cross your mind when you wrote above we are "below average in pass blocking" and "Atlanta can't stretch the field" that there just might be a cause and effect relationship there?

Did it at all cross your mind when you wrote above we are "below average in pass blocking" and "Atlanta can't stretch the field" that there just might be a cause and effect relationship there?

I think you have the assessment right, but not the chronology. Defenses decided to stack the box and make the QB be the one to beat them, as opposed to the RB. The QB has yet to make them pay for that strategy.

I think you have the assessment right, but not the chronology. Defenses decided to stack the box and make the QB be the one to beat them, as opposed to the RB. The QB has yet to make them pay for that strategy.

Those defenses that stacked the box didn't just stand there waiting for Turner to come to them, did they?

No, they would attack and easily penetrate our weak OL, often getting to Turner behind the line, or pushing him laterally, thus also limiting the time for routes to develop. The opponent’s defensive backfields were instructed to man up with the Falcons receivers for just 3 seconds, and by this time, Ryan was being pushed, shoved or dropped.

It is just baffling to me how some of you do not comprehend that the primary issue with the Falcons offense is their.......OFENSIVE LINE.

Edited by Quarterback

You know how you beat 8 men in the box? Not curls and comebacks.

Those defenses that stacked the box didn't just stand there waiting for Turner to come to them, did they?

No, they would attack and easily penetrate our weak OL, often getting to Turner behind the line, or pushing him laterally, thus also limiting the time for routes to develop. The opponent’s defensive backfields were instructed to man up with the Falcons receivers for just 3 seconds, and by this time, Ryan was being pushed, shoved or dropped.

It is just baffling to me how some of you do not comprehend that the primary issue with the Falcons offense is their.......OFENSIVE LINE.

Again it's semantics. Is the line average in talent, but under too much pressure from a consistent defensive strategy of stacking the box that they look poor? How come the Giants, boasting essentially the same quality of O-line personnel, did not suffer a similar fate?

I think the Julio Jones trade tells us that Dimitroff thought the line was adequate and the best way to optimize the value already invested in QB and skill players was to get more "explosive" with another attacking weapon.

Again it's semantics. Is the line average in talent, but under too much pressure from a consistent defensive strategy of stacking the box that they look poor? How come the Giants, boasting essentially the same quality of O-line personnel, did not suffer a similar fate?

I think the Julio Jones trade tells us that Dimitroff thought the line was adequate and the best way to optimize the value already invested in QB and skill players was to get more "explosive" with another attacking weapon.

And this is exactly why I blame MM. Eli won a SB with a porous OLine. You know why? YAC. It makes the QBs job easier. MM does not know how to draw up route designs to get his playmakers in space and the ball on the move. The only route he knew was that drag to Julio.