Matt Ryan: What I Believe; What I Want...

Quarterback

I did not mind Gonzo trade cause after 08' season and what I saw from Ryan ..I thought adding Tony G to control middle of the field would open up things for Roddy and Jenkins.. The problem has been Ryan staring down his safety blanket instead of going through his reads.Can you blame a young QB for staring down Tony G and picking up first down..

I wasnt a fan of Julio trade cause it showed me TD has no clue about value/risk and is a HYPOCRITE ...Dez Bryant a year prior fell into our laps yet we passed on him ..I understand the character concerns but you have Tony G and a veteran wr like Roddy to groom a young Dez and set up in on the right path ..Instead 1 year later we traded away multiple draft picks for Julio ...Julio and Dez are on the same plateau of young wrs...Dez hands are more consistent but Julio looks to have slight more upside .

Onto where I think TD has been hypocritical

We went 13-3 and lost to Packers we needed to be come more explosive which 100% was against the mind set of these team 3 years ..We were a run first team but a playoff loss to Packers where our defense gets shredded to core , our oline allows Ryan to get sacked 5 times and Ryan throwing 2 ints and 1 returns to the house but his THOUGHT PROCESS we needed to get more explosive after playoffs loss in which was total opposite what we were trying to build first 3 years with Tony G ...did TD think a aging Tony G was explosive

- Why did TD who just gave Jenkins a ext and let a top 10 pick slide past him in draft but 1 year later he turns around and trades 5 draft picks for Julio Jones?

The Packers playoff loss set this team down the wrong path and Im not sure we can recover..It set in doubt and combine with this latest playoff game ..This team has no confidence. The media now is also starting to chime on Ryan failures in playoff game I feel we will go 9-7 this year and next year the three main components of what we have been trying to build will be on hot seat in 2013 ...If no deep playoff run in 2013 I fully expect to see a new HC /GM and QB ..

That would be 6 years -0 playoff success... thats enough for me to say goodbye to all..Cause its a trend and not sure they can break out of it

You have some pretty nice stuff in here, especially that which I underlined...good post!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a point that will probably forever divide you and me. While I don't disagree that Ryan certainly had his shortcomings in this game, it certainly isn't plausible that Ryan didn't know what the Giants were doing and what he needed to do to handle this. I certainly can't imagine you or anyone critical or skeptical or Ryan doubts his cognitive, recognition skills of defensive alignments and schemes.

If you'll have the chance to review the Giants game again, what you'll see is a linebacker and defensive backfield strategy to shadow White, Jones and Gonzalez for at least 3 seconds. As good as those three are, they are the more physical type of receivers and are not super quick off the line.

If you look again at the first 4th down, you'll see Quizz briefly uncovered at the bottom of the screen, with Phillips running over late to cover him with about a 3/4 yard cushion. it was just the matchup they should have been looking for; a RB in space. If you can't make a quick throw and catch yard in that circumstance, then you've really got issues.

Also, if Smith doesn't think his elite group of WR can get quick separation, thus isn't confident in giving his QB even a pass audible and knows the opponent will stack the line against his under-powered O-line, he needs to punt or FG try.

If you look again at the first 4th down, you'll see Quizz briefly uncovered at the bottom of the screen, with Phillips running over late to cover him with about a 3/4 yard cushion. it was just the matchup they should have been looking for; a RB in space. If you can't make a quick throw and catch yard in that circumstance, then you've really got issues.

Also, if Smith doesn't think his elite group of WR can get quick separation, thus isn't confident in giving his QB even a pass audible and knows the opponent will stack the line against his under-powered O-line, he needs to punt or FG try.

Agreed, but clearly Ryan wasn't given this option. They first tried a long shift and rotation deception, followed by a quick snap and hand off, and the Giants never budged. This was sound, discipline coaching, by the way on behalf of the Giants.

Several times Ryan has converted fourth downs with a pass. How on earth they thought our line could open a hole against the much larger and more phsyical Giants is simply baffling.

Agreed, but clearly Ryan wasn't given this option. They first tried a long shift and rotation deception, followed by a quick snap and hand off, and the Giants never budged. This was sound, discipline coaching, by the way on behalf of the Giants.

Several times Ryan has converted fourth downs with a pass. How on earth they thought our line could open a hole against the much larger and more phsyical Giants is simply baffling.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning, running to the sidelines after that play and screaming at the coach for A| Hanging him out to dry and B| not giving him some kind of opportunity to audible to a throw. That's the kind of fire I'd like to see from Ryan, the kind that motivates the coaching staff to make a different call the 2nd time around.

I know people don't like 4th down audibles, but what better time to have it discounted by the defense who is concentrating on staying onside, thinking the audible is just an attempt to draw them over the line.

I actually liked the call on 4th down. It didn't work and made it ever more clear just how outmatched our OL is. However, trying to get guys offsides, so they can't get a good jump, nearly always will let you pick up a foot. That's one of the easiest calls in football. Way better than a handoff to the RB, giving the DL time to recover and push. But this showed just how much their DL was beating our OL. Without even getting a jump, the DL was able to not budge an inch. That's incredible.

I wouldn't have kept an empty backfield, though. Spread the WRs out, leave 1 RB in. It's frankly hard to win when you can't pick up a foot on 4th down.

Can you imagine Peyton Manning, running to the sidelines after that play and screaming at the coach for A| Hanging him out to dry and B| not giving him some kind of opportunity to audible to a throw. That's the kind of fire I'd like to see from Ryan, the kind that motivates the coaching staff to make a different call the 2nd time around.

I know people don't like 4th down audibles, but what better time to have it discounted by the defense who is concentrating on staying onside, thinking the audible is just an attempt to draw them over the line.

When it's 4th and a foot in the red zone of your opponent, down 8 points, 3 minutes left, you're absolutely right...all options should be available to a 4th year starting QB with the brains to make the right choice and audible to a pass if he sees an opportunity.

I actually liked the call on 4th down. It didn't work and made it ever more clear just how outmatched our OL is. However, trying to get guys offsides, so they can't get a good jump, nearly always will let you pick up a foot. That's one of the easiest calls in football. Way better than a handoff to the RB, giving the DL time to recover and push. But this showed just how much their DL was beating our OL. Without even getting a jump, the DL was able to not budge an inch. That's incredible.

I wouldn't have kept an empty backfield, though. Spread the WRs out, leave 1 RB in. It's frankly hard to win when you can't pick up a foot on 4th down.

Amen!