Matt Ryan: What I Believe; What I Want...

Quarterback

Let's talk about the type of person who would be predisposed to give Matt Ryan a pass on just about anything. That person was probably born and raised in Georgia and dreamed of being the QB of the Falcons while growing up. That dream may have been cemented in his mind, had he been fortunate enough to play QB in high school and maybe even star at the position for one of the state universities. For close two 20 years, this person would have dreamed about being in the shoes Matt Ryan now wears. How could Matt Ryan be anything but the ultimate in hero worship for a man with this hypothetical background? That's the one person I would expect to be least objective of anything to do with Matt Ryan.

I haven't a clue about the above fairy tale, but comments like this below are not a hypothetical but factual statement that cleary defines one's true colors:

Mr Jay on Matt Ryan: Put in the right system & with a good o-line he could really step into the "elite class."

Your reply: Only if there is a terrorist attack at next year's Pro Bowl.

Your honor...the defense rests.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the team has no salary cap room and only a 2nd and 3rd pick with which to add talent, you're spinning that as a vote of confidence in the players? What was the alternative?

we had over 30mil under the cap.. we had room and if oit was the players we could of easily got rid of turners 7 mil.. babs 5mil dunta big hit.. we could have just as easily made room with the cap as keeping our players and getting rid of the coaches...

the more i talk to u iit seems like you blame the players and think the coaches did everything the playes could do...

If that's the case, then the Steelers FO and HC when MM was there is just as incompetent as our's currently is because the same exact issues arose there as well. I'd be willing to bet MM was going to be the Jags HC last year if there was no lock out. The lock out scared teams from making moves that they could get by without making (ie changing OCs). No lockout, MM gets the HC job in JAX and we get a new OC. MM has never made it beyond 3 years anywhere else but here and the lockout is the only reason he did here.

And to think TD made a bad decision by getting Tony G and Julio and that staying with Peelle and Jenkins would have been the same offense, then you're crazy. Jenkins was a marginal WR and Peelle was not even better than Palmer. Getting Tony G allowed TD to go defense heavy in the 09 draft. Adding Julio gave us the most dynamic player we have had since Vick.

What swift basic point is that the offense really didn't improve with the move of those two guys. Because of their pricetag, he could have addressed other needs and still wouldn't have been much worse on offense. I understand his premise but I agree with TD. If you feel you are close and want to make it official, you make the moves he made.

QB, you basically took my talking points, changed them a tad then when it was time to explain your theory you then went into another dimension of nonsense. You are the last person who should call anyone an idiot. Your whole premise is false and I doubt anything you say. You claim you played QB in the NFL but yet you are talking about the offensive line as if offensive lines can pass block for as long as they did in the 1990's. If you know anything about Football today, you would know that is not possible due to the size and speed of today's defensive linemen.

Honestly, arguing with you is worst than paulitik. Do not get me wrong, you a superior person to that plebe. But as a poster, you are a hypocrite. You do not have a foundation. You take my talking points, twist it just a tad and then go into full blown delusion as well as silly insults. Muskokas sonned you so many times in just this thread alone, I've lost count. It's really tiresome to try and understand how elusive you are mentally. If you go from the 1st page to the last, I don't even think QB is the same person.

Well I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong, and I'm not going to waste any more of my time teaching you something you couldn't be bothered to learn for yourself. You act as though your stupidity is a virtue.

QB, I hope you were a better QB than you are as a Football connoisseur because you absolutely suck at this. Fanboys like 567 have more logic and a better foundation than you. You said it best in your first post to paraphrase.

By Quarterback

Me? I course I've never pulled against any player on a team I support, but in Matt's case, the guy is such a class act, dedicated and tireless worker, and all around good leader by example on an off the field, I've never wanted more to see a man succeed

QB, this might just say it all. Regardless of Ryan's obvious flaws, because me and Matt share such a connection, I will go the extra mile in support of hoping he succeeds. When I read that, it lets me know you will say whatever possible even if it's unrealistic in hopes that Ryan does become what you dream he becomes. In other words, you are just like paulitik. You are living your NFL dreams through Matt Ryan. With that comes delusion. Comparing him to the greats. Saying he is right there. Giving him abilities that he doesn't possess. Blaming all others but Ryan. You can say, well #1 pick, you just don't like Ryan. Well, your right, I don't like him. At the end of the day, I still hope he succeeds because that means my Falcons succeed. Either way, no need to waste my time or others who actually have common sense. It's not that hard. Ryan has a weak arm. Ryan has no mobility. Ryan has to improve that or he's basically what Pennington and Kosar is. An excellent game manager but nothing close to what's needed to win a ring in this league if he lacks a great defense and running game. I will need you become more realistic. Nothing wrong with living your life through Matt Ryan. Kind of pathetic but to each it's own. I personally hope Ryan does become elite but I seriously doubt it.

Edited by #1 pick

I haven't a clue about the above fairy tale, but comments like this below are not a hypothetical but factual statement that cleary defines one's true colors:

Mr Jay on Matt Ryan: Put in the right system & with a good o-line he could really step into the "elite class."

Your reply: Only if there is a terrorist attack at next year's Pro Bowl.

Your honor...the defense rests.

If the subtlety of sarcasm eludes you, that's not my fault. Nobody else jumped on that. The only person who might, would be someone desperate to validate their incorrect suppositions..

we had over 30mil under the cap.. we had room and if oit was the players we could of easily got rid of turners 7 mil.. babs 5mil dunta big hit.. we could have just as easily made room with the cap as keeping our players and getting rid of the coaches...

the more i talk to u iit seems like you blame the players and think the coaches did everything the playes could do...

I think there are many reasons for our playoff failure. Mike Smith would take the lions share of the blame directed at the coaching staff IMO. I find much of the blame leveled at the OC to be very convenient, especially in light of his moving onward and upward.

QB, I hope you were a better QB than you are as a Football connoisseur because you absolutely suck at this. Fanboys like 567 have more logic and a better foundation than you. You said it best in your first post to paraphrase.

QB, this might just say it all. Regardless of Ryan's obvious flaws, because me and Matt share such a connection, I will go the extra mile in support of hoping he succeeds. When I read that, it lets me know you will say whatever possible even if it's unrealistic in hopes that Ryan does become what you dream he becomes. In other words, you are just like paulitik. You are living your NFL dreams through Matt Ryan. With that comes delusion. Comparing him to the greats. Saying he is right there. Giving him abilities that he doesn't possess. Blaming all others but Ryan. You can say, well #1 pick, you just don't like Ryan. Well, your right, I don't like him. At the end of the day, I still hope he succeeds because that means my Falcons succeed. Either way, no need to waste my time or others who actually have common sense. It's not that hard. Ryan has a weak arm. Ryan has no mobility. Ryan has to improve that or he's basically what Pennington and Kosar is. An excellent game manager but nothing close to what's needed to win a ring in this league if he lacks a great defense and running game. I will need you become more realistic. Nothing wrong with living your life through Matt Ryan. Kind of pathetic but to each it's own. I personally hope Ryan does become elite but I seriously doubt it.

huh.png

What makes more sense: A) The OC is a poor coach who hurt our chances to succeed, but ended up leaving for a promotion + the incompetent HC didn't didn't diagnose or correct the OC problem + the incompetent GM didn't diagnose or correct either. or option cool.png The coaching staff gave the QB a scheme tailored to his skills and comfort level, but said QB couldn't make that work.

You talk about an NFL coaching staff like it is a high school outfit. Be realistic. An NFL franchise doesn't pay $1 million salaries to bunglers.

Here's where purposeful oversimplification leads to a seeming conclusion, but incorporation of more facts makes it clearer.

How unlikely is it that:

1) A fairly conservative HC hires a conservative OC who prefers the power run game, as the HC doesn't know what kind of QB he's going to be dealing with as a rookie, and is fine to lean on a powerback

2) Said OC hadn't previously demonstrated ability to use multiple backs, or create a diverse passing attack, but that was ok due to 1

3)All have a great first year and everything looks lovely

4) The next year the limitations that didn't seem critical with an unknown rookie start to be more concerning because the QB has shown definite strengths in presnap reads and complexity, with weaknesses in the deep ball

5) By the middle of year 2, The HC and FO are concerned about their OC but decide it makes more sense to provide some stability for the organization than fire the OC and completely restart with a young team, and around a young QB when your RB, FB, etc. won't fit new scheme

etc. Last two pieces being you go 13-3, and maybe his scheme will work with better WR even though it doesn't fit your QB...

All I'm laying out above is a very plausible reason why an OC who wasn't good with a diverse passing attack could stay around for awhile (conservative coach, stability, RB who can't catch). My guess is it went down something like that.

The other aspect is, people give far too much credit to coaches/FO/CEOs/etc. "He's the coach so he must know better" is the kind of quote that I often see that mostly isn't true. Most of my life's jobs have revolved around going in to guys who've been in an industry for 20 years and helping them, and seeing that they don't know best...and sometimes they don't know at all. And coaches aren't even fortune 100 CEO's who've competed against tons of people. They're not rocket scientists and often make mistakes. So, sometimes, things that seem like they don't go together aren't part of a grander plan...they actually don't go together.

As I've said, Ryan's not the type of QB I'd draft typically, and I think MM's offense is horrible for the type of QB he is, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the OC last for awhile in an organization craving stability, with a young QB, and with a pounding RB.

Here's where purposeful oversimplification leads to a seeming conclusion, but incorporation of more facts makes it clearer.

How unlikely is it that:

1) A fairly conservative HC hires a conservative OC who prefers the power run game, as the HC doesn't know what kind of QB he's going to be dealing with as a rookie, and is fine to lean on a powerback

2) Said OC hadn't previously demonstrated ability to use multiple backs, or create a diverse passing attack, but that was ok due to 1

3)All have a great first year and everything looks lovely

4) The next year the limitations that didn't seem critical with an unknown rookie start to be more concerning because the QB has shown definite strengths in presnap reads and complexity, with weaknesses in the deep ball

5) By the middle of year 2, The HC and FO are concerned about their OC but decide it makes more sense to provide some stability for the organization than fire the OC and completely restart with a young team, and around a young QB when your RB, FB, etc. won't fit new scheme

etc. Last two pieces being you go 13-3, and maybe his scheme will work with better WR even though it doesn't fit your QB...

All I'm laying out above is a very plausible reason why an OC who wasn't good with a diverse passing attack could stay around for awhile (conservative coach, stability, RB who can't catch). My guess is it went down something like that.

The other aspect is, people give far too much credit to coaches/FO/CEOs/etc. "He's the coach so he must know better" is the kind of quote that I often see that mostly isn't true. Most of my life's jobs have revolved around going in to guys who've been in an industry for 20 years and helping them, and seeing that they don't know best...and sometimes they don't know at all. And coaches aren't even fortune 100 CEO's who've competed against tons of people. They're not rocket scientists and often make mistakes. So, sometimes, things that seem like they don't go together aren't part of a grander plan...they actually don't go together.

As I've said, Ryan's not the type of QB I'd draft typically, and I think MM's offense is horrible for the type of QB he is, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the OC last for awhile in an organization craving stability, with a young QB, and with a pounding RB.

Savvy appraisal. Somewhere between "the OC is a bungler who held the QB back" and "the coaches gave the players every tool they needed to succeed" lies the happy median and real answer.

You've got to stop bringing rationality into this. We're all more comfortable jumping right to excess.

I think there are many reasons for our playoff failure. Mike Smith would take the lions share of the blame directed at the coaching staff IMO. I find much of the blame leveled at the OC to be very convenient, especially in light of his moving onward and upward.

i dnt put more blame on smitty then i would BVG or MM for the fact tthat smitty doenst step on anyone toes.. he lets them do their job and he manages the game accordingly...

Does he deserve some absolutely... Everyone does since we haven't been successful in the playoffs but i truly think our corridinators were holding us backk... More so MM then BVG.. our defense was competitive more consistently then our offense...

i dnt put more blame on smitty then i would BVG or MM for the fact tthat smitty doenst step on anyone toes.. he lets them do their job and he manages the game accordingly...

Does he deserve some absolutely... Everyone does since we haven't been successful in the playoffs but i truly think our corridinators were holding us backk... More so MM then BVG.. our defense was competitive more consistently then our offense...

If Smith and BVG aren't calling the game Smith wants, it's up to the HC to order a change of tactics or take over himself. Smith also made the poor strategic decisions on 4th downs.

If Smith and BVG aren't calling the game Smith wants, it's up to the HC to order a change of tactics or take over himself. Smith also made the poor strategic decisions on 4th downs.

its his choice if he wants to intervine or not.. and from the actions and bone head playcalls that he is letting his coaches do their job and he is trusting them...

On this we are in near complete harmony. The only interjection I would have with this is "Smith also made the poor strategic decisions on some 4th downs.

There were some when you're up against a great QB and offense (like the Packers and the Saints) where going for it on 4th down was the wiser decision given previous evidence that our defense couldn't stop them.

Just one example of this is the 2010 season, 2nd game, between the Falcons/Saints. We had the ball with a few minutes left, punted on 4th and 1, and the Saints drove it about 80-85 yards and beat us.

Mike Smith has a split personality...he wants a conservative, low risk, offense and defense yet he switches personalities on 4th and one's. That latter personality is a highly emotional one as it is also evident when he throws the challenge flag on a play without a chance of a reversal. He sticks out that bottom lip as if he intends to will the decision in his favor.

I agree to an extent.

I think Ryan was fine in this offense in his first year as it limited mental errors. I'll give MM some credit for this. However, to your point about Ryan's strength and weaknesses, it should have been realized what Ryan needed thereafter was either a rock solid OL or a system that fits his strengths.

I could see Matt Ryan flourish in a Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick type of system. However, with the exception of a couple of playoff games, he's been pretty darn successful in the Mularkey system. I just strongly believe we were incredibly out-coached and out schemed in the Green Bay playoff game, and completely outmuscled by the Giants.

Sure, a lot of credit goes to Manning, but it is fun playing QB when your OL is whipping your opponent's DL, and your defense (particularly the DL) is whipping their offense. As we saw, this, at a certain point in the game, sets you up for the long ball completely ripping the throats out of your competition. The past three seasons we have trying to build a powerful, "explosive" offense without once critical component...a powerful OL to enable this.

Lastly, and I strongly believe this to be true and evident. After the decision to overhaul our defense after the issues so evident in 2008 (like the infamous 3rd and 16 in the Cardinal playoff game) I believe with the acquisition of Tony Gonzalez, our offense was asked more to grind it out with many short plays to protect our defense. If I remember correctly I think we may have led the league in # of plays and time of possession. I believe we still have been stuck in this mode and both the Packers and Giants game planned perfectly to do unto us as we do unto others.

Edited by Quarterback

You talk about an NFL coaching staff like it is a high school outfit. Be realistic. An NFL franchise doesn't pay $1 million salaries to bunglers.

Steve Spurrier

Bobby Petrino

Mike Singletary

Eric Mangini

Dave Wannsted

Herm Edwards most years

Chan Gailey

Wade Phillips

Kordell Stewart as a QB

Bill Cowher as long as he thought Kordell Stewart should be a QB

Josh McDaniels

Jim Mora, Jr.

These are all NFL head coaches who were bunglers, some moreso than others. There are lots of other examples.

On this we are in near complete harmony. The only interjection I would have with this is "Smith also made the poor strategic decisions on some 4th downs.

There were some when you're up against a great QB and offense (like the Packers and the Saints) where going for it on 4th down was the wiser decision given previous evidence that our defense couldn't stop them.

Just one example of this is the 2010 season, 2nd game, between the Falcons/Saints. We had the ball with a few minutes left, punted on 4th and 1, and the Saints drove it about 80-85 yards and beat us.

Mike Smith has a split personality...he wants a conservative, low risk, offense and defense yet he switches personalities on 4th and one's. That latter personality is a highly emotional one as it is also evident when he throws the challenge flag on a play without a chance of a reversal. He sticks out that bottom lip as if he intends to will the decision in his favor.

I was thinking more of the play-calling strategy than the decision itself. I realize that it was a high risk decision for Smith and one he couldn't see compounding with a high risk play call, given his more conservative nature. If you couldn't enforce your will on a defense line to begin with, what was the likelihood of beating them with a QB sneak?

In the playoff game, the Giants took away Turner. That still left Julio, Gonzo and Roddy. Call a quick pass. If you are gonna go all-in, the really go all-in. Smith had gifted physical receivers, a great short passer and the element of a real surprise.

Unlike swift, I feel that TD made a heck of a move for Gonzo and Julio. In fact, TD was creating a dynamic force. It's better to be great at offense or defense instead of being just good at both. TD was smart, he can't help he overvalued his QB.

I did not mind Gonzo trade cause after 08' season and what I saw from Ryan ..I thought adding Tony G to control middle of the field would open up things for Roddy and Jenkins.. The problem has been Ryan staring down his safety blanket instead of going through his reads.Can you blame a young QB for staring down Tony G and picking up first down..

I wasnt a fan of Julio trade cause it showed me TD has no clue about value/risk and is a HYPOCRITE ...Dez Bryant a year prior fell into our laps yet we passed on him ..I understand the character concerns but you have Tony G and a veteran wr like Roddy to groom a young Dez and set up in on the right path ..Instead 1 year later we traded away multiple draft picks for Julio ...Julio and Dez are on the same plateau of young wrs...Dez hands are more consistent but Julio looks to have slight more upside .

Onto where I think TD has been hypocritical

We went 13-3 and lost to Packers we needed to be come more explosive which 100% was against the mind set of these team 3 years ..We were a run first team but a playoff loss to Packers where our defense gets shredded to core , our oline allows Ryan to get sacked 5 times and Ryan throwing 2 ints and 1 returns to the house but his THOUGHT PROCESS we needed to get more explosive after playoffs loss in which was total opposite what we were trying to build first 3 years with Tony G ...did TD think a aging Tony G was explosive

- Why did TD who just gave Jenkins a ext and let a top 10 pick slide past him in draft but 1 year later he turns around and trades 5 draft picks for Julio Jones?

The Packers playoff loss set this team down the wrong path and Im not sure we can recover..It set in doubt and combine with this latest playoff game ..This team has no confidence. The media now is also starting to chime on Ryan failures in playoff game I feel we will go 9-7 this year and next year the three main components of what we have been trying to build will be on hot seat in 2013 ...If no deep playoff run in 2013 I fully expect to see a new HC /GM and QB ..

That would be 6 years -0 playoff success... thats enough for me to say goodbye to all..Cause its a trend and not sure they can break out of it

i dbout smitty is responsible for much of the playcalls on either side of the ball.. he will step in if he doesntclike a play ex.. 3&1 in the redzone and MM had quizz in ready to try and push him up the middle.. im glad he stopped that but for the most part he lets his guys do their own thing.. smitty defense in jax was far more aggressive then ours so saying smitty just went all conswrvative would be indicating two things...

1he just changed up his beliefs

2 theres a disconnect between TD and smitty as opposed to MM and TD..

I wasnt a fan of Julio trade cause it showed me TD has no clue about value/risk and is a HYPOCRITE ...Dez Bryant a year prior fell into our laps yet we passed on him ..I understand the character concerns but you have Tony G and a veteran wr like Roddy to groom a young Dez and set up in on the right path ..Instead 1 year later we traded away multiple draft picks for Julio ...Julio and Dez are on the same plateau of young wrs...Dez hands are more consistent but Julio looks to have slight more upside .

Onto where I think TD has been hypocritical

We went 13-3 and lost to Packers we needed to be come more explosive which 100% was against the mind set of these team 3 years ..We were a run first team but a playoff loss to Packers where our defense gets shredded to core , our oline allows Ryan to get sacked 5 times and Ryan throwing 2 ints and 1 return.

The Packers playoff loss set this team down the wrong path and Im not sure we can recover..It set in doubt and combine with this latest playoff game ..This team has no confidence. The media now is also starting to chime on Ryan failures in playoff game I feel we will go 9-7 this year and next year the three main components of what we have been trying to build will be on hot seat in 2013 ...If no deep playoff run in 2013 I fully expect to see a new HC /GM and QB ..

That would be 6 years -0 playoff success... thats enough for me to say goodbye to all..Cause its a trend and not sure they can break out of it

And don't think for one minute that isn't Mr. Blanks exact game plans.

If you couldn't enforce your will on a defense line to begin with, what was the likelihood of beating them with a QB sneak?

Agreed; and at least two times at that. I don't know if you remember, but on the second attempt at a 4th & a foot, Ryan tried everything imaginable for several seconds to pull the Giants offside. They never flinched and still stuffed them for a loss. This is just a pure superior brute strength advantage.

In the playoff game, the Giants took away Turner. That still left Julio, Gonzo and Roddy. Call a quick pass. If you are gonna go all-in, the really go all-in. Smith had gifted physical receivers, a great short passer and the element of a real surprise.

This is a point that will probably forever divide you and me. While I don't disagree that Ryan certainly had his shortcomings in this game, it certainly isn't plausible that Ryan didn't know what the Giants were doing and what he needed to do to handle this. I certainly can't imagine you or anyone critical or skeptical or Ryan doubts his cognitive, recognition skills of defensive alignments and schemes.

If you'll have the chance to review the Giants game again, what you'll see is a linebacker and defensive backfield strategy to shadow White, Jones and Gonzalez for at least 3 seconds. As good as those three are, they are the more physical type of receivers and are not super quick off the line.

The Giants knew they could whip the Falcons OL with mostly only their four DL's (almost no blitzing) and both stop Turner and/or immediately pressure Ryan. Had the Falcons offensive coaching staff either anticipated this, or altered their game plan by halftime, it would have been wise for them to utilize Douglas, Rodgers more who can more quickly separate from a DB in that 5-15 yard range. This is precisely what Brady does with the quick 5'9" Branch and the 5'9" Welker. Chad Johnson was unheard of in the postseason because teams were dominating the Patriots OL just like the Falcons...however, the Patriots offensive coaching was much superior the Falcons