Matt Ryan: What I Believe; What I Want...

Quarterback

I hear what your thinking...not another Ryan thread!

Well, I feel the same and I promise this will be the last topic starter about Ryan from this member until the season starts. And yes this thread is sure to attract some knuckle heads, but it is more intended for those who fully support Ryan and/or those who question or seriously doubt Ryan abilities yet but sincerely want him to be the best he can be

You know, in my opinion, in our last three or four presidents I have witness national embarrassment and a whole lot of nothing getting done. Frankly, I don’t think either of the past two presidents have done squat for our economy! Yet, for me, for my country, my family and your family’s sake, I certainly want the current and future presidents to all be successful. To pull against any is like spitting into the wind, isn’t it? I feel the same About Matt Ryan and our team…I want both to be successful!

So often on this board it seems that some write outlandish things either out of anger, ulterior motives, jealousy or even deliberate attempts to rile others—I’m guilty of the latter too a few times!

For the sole intent to reconcile the Falcon Fans that actually want and hope that Ryan continues to progress and possibly for once help bring this city the Lombardi, I will try to be as concise as possible with my sincere beliefs are about Matt Ryan. I welcome yours!

1. All things considered, Matt Ryan is the best QB in Falcons history. Not necessarily the most physically talented (Vick, Miller, Bartkowski and certainly Farve were more physically talented), but safe to say a higher cerebral ceiling and again, all in, our overall best.
  2. Matt Ryan has been the best QB in the AF history in the regular season.
  3. Matt Ryan has not been very good in the playoffs (just like his teammates and coaches, frankly). He wasn't "bad" against the Cardinals, "bad" against the Packers (except 2 poor passes), but he was pretty "bad" against the Giants as he seemed to look as if he was stuck in the mud the entire game. This was a setback in my eyes and has indeed warranted some doubt.
  4. He needs to get better with his deep ball as he at times has floated it so high it loses velocity at its apex and thus underthrown. This is solved with an extra second in the pocket to throw off his back foot plus Matt throwing with a different trajectory and arc. He can do this. He's no Vick, Farve, or Rodgers, but he can throw a football with the same velocity, arc and trajectory as such "average" NFL arms as Brady, P Manning, Brees, Montana, Marino (yes, Marino could barely throw a football 55 yards), Warner--all former singular or multiple Super Bowl QB's.
  5. Matt is as good as any NFL QB at the short and mid-range passes.
  6. Matt is a solid leader and a solid teammate, well respected by his teammates, coaches and competitors. He works hard at mastering his trade.
  7. Matt Ryan is not elusive like a Rodgers or a Brees, nor is he big and strong like a Newton, Freeman or Roethlisberger. In fact, he’s kind of on the skinny side like a Jeff George or Tom Brady.
  8. More necessary than others, Matt Ryan is more dependent on an elite OL because of #7 above. I think he can flourish with such a line; I think his growth and full potential will be limited—regardless of the number of offensive weapons—without this.
  9. Matt Ryan is bright—32 on the Wonderlic.
  10. Matt Ryan is a good, solid man. The guy has never once done a single thing to embarrass himself, his team, this city or you as a fan. Indeed, he's just a good guy!

Now, feel free to debate or add to any of the above points; however, if you are truly a Falcon fan, you truly want the best for our team and our city, then how on earth--even given his shortcomings and limitations--can you pull against this man and not support and encourage him? Do you want Matt Ryan to be successful?

Me? I course I've never pulled against any player on a team I support, but in Matt's case, the guy is such a class act, dedicated and tireless worker, and all around good leader by example on an off the field, I've never wanted more to see a man succeed...and if one day he does reach the pinnacle of NFL accomplishments by hoisting the Lombardi, no one on the planet will be more joyous, proud and satisfied than me as I don't just want to win...I want to win with a winner!

Edited by Quarterback

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree Brees just has better pocket awareness and knows how to side step pressure

I don't disagree about Brees, but Matt Ryan too has pretty good pocket awareness, he just ins't as quick as Brees moving away from this. Ryan, to be kind of tall and skinny, rarely is hit with full impact and this is a good sign of acceptable elusiveness, decisiveness, and a pretty quick release.

I don't disagree about Brees, but Matt Ryan too has pretty good pocket awareness, he just ins't as quick as Brees moving away from this. Ryan, to be kind of tall and skinny, rarely is hit with full impact and this is a good sign of acceptable elusiveness, decisiveness, and a pretty quick release.

Let me ask you this. Many things go into making a good QB. For the purpose of this question, let's assume 3: physical ability, understanding/comprehension of game dynamics and execution.

Matt Ryan is not likely to improve his physical ability. Any gains in the weight room will likely be needed just to negate the wear and tear of playing every down in the NFL. As you've pointed out, Matt's leadership, intelligence and character are strong points. That leaves execution. Matt's decision-making is strong and his short/intermediate passing game is "as good as any NFL QB" You mention his ballooned deep throws are correctable with more time, although this has been issue since day 1 with Ryan.

By now you are wondering if a question is coming with all this and here it is. What's described above is a pretty complete QB. In what areas of Matt's game can the needed, significant gains be made?

I disagree with Ryan pocket awareness. He is extremely average and this is why a lot of our fans are clamoring for a great offensive line cause they know Ryan has pretty poor pocket awareness or knows how to side step a rush ..Ryan too easily goes down in grasp of a defender..Understandable he is no Big Ben that can shed a 295 pound defender but once Ryan gets in grasp of a defender its over...Ryan also has poor elusiveness due to his skinny /lanky frame..

This is a perfect example of Ryan poor pocket awareness

This is the problem with Ryan and some Mularkey ...Yes play call was questionable here..

Julio runs a 5 yard stop ..Ryan first read was this but coverage was tight so Im assuming he didnt want to fit the ball in there and get

HD was running a 4 vertical pattern here a go from slot..He was bumped off route and should have been a illegal contact

Tony G was running a slow *** crossing pattern..seriously Tony G has no burst what so ever in his routes and was doubled on play and wasnt a real option until Ryan started to roll out

**** Now this is where Ryan poor pocket awareness comes into play ..He bails on false pressure..Oline picked up blitz very well

credit to Quizz ..did a good job ...Now Ryan rolls out instead of stepping closer to line he rolls out and starts to buy time. when he actually had time

If I got my hands on COACHES FILM ...

The way HD was bumped off route but he kept going .. He was still running deep and would be singled coverage deep for a possible big play ..It was 2nd and 7 ...If Ryan instead of rolling out would have kept his eyes down field and looked to make a play he would have took a shot deep to Harry Douglas... instead he rolls out and his lack of mobility nor skill set allows him pick up a first down

Swift - as many times as you have posted this one play and constantly say "Ryan is immobile" is stupid. How about I post a play of Ryan scrambling and say "See! Ryan is just as mobile as Rodgers". One play doesn't point out anything, except for the fact that he slipped.

But you try and justify it without factoring in his OLine. Yes, the play was a bad play. Julio ran a stop route with HD running a corner over top. The stop was covered. When HD gets bumped, right at :03, Svitek starts to get bullrushed and a player jumps up in Ryan's line of sight. This would have thrown any QB off and out of the pocket. For perspective, Svitek's foot planted <1 yard away from Ryan's as he started to roll out at the :03 mark. Even if he stayed like you suggest, he can't step into the throw to make a good throw and then you are using this clip to show his lack of arm strength instead of lack of mobility.

I do agree that after Ryan moved out he had time, but who is he going to throw to? Like you pointed out, the only person on that side was Tony G. HD and Julio were on the backside. Roddy was apparently deep since he was still out of the shot at the end of the play. Poor play design left no room for the scramble drill to kick in and bail Ryan out. The only thing he had left after getting flushed was to run, which he was doing but he slipped. Could have happened to anybody. He has scrambled a number of times, even though he looks like a baby giraffe doing it. But classic swift, you only have 2 clips to back up any of your anti-Ryan arguments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxqp37AVy8 @2:46

Notice how the Senior Year Ryan and the Rookie Ryan look very similar. He was clearly neutered during his 4 years. If Koetter brings this back out of Ryan, we will all be happy campers again while swift mosies on to another team to troll since I'm willing to bet Ryan clears 4000 yards and 30 TDs to make him leave.

I do agree that after Ryan moved out he had time, but who is he going to throw to? Like you pointed out, the only person on that side was Tony G. HD and Julio were on the backside. Roddy was apparently deep since he was still out of the shot at the end of the play. Poor play design left no room for the scramble drill to kick in and bail Ryan out. The only thing he had left after getting flushed was to run, which he was doing but he slipped. Could have happened to anybody. He has scrambled a number of times, even though he looks like a baby giraffe doing it. But classic swift, you only have 2 clips to back up any of your anti-Ryan arguments.

No one really post lowlights of players on youtube..I mean seriously ..I could dissect Falcons video if Jay Adams is kind enough to hand me the coaches film .. would have a lot of clips ...I can dissect Ryan game vs Texans ...would you like me to post those clips..I would have ask FFS70 put on em there..He records every game and can also put on yourtube but FFS70 is pro Matt Ryan so why would he do that

as for Ryan not having any other options..we dont know that until we see coaches film but Im pretty sure Roddy or HD was deep and if Ryan would have just stepped into line and wing one and took a shot deep ...you never know instead Ryan rolls out and gains 2 yards...This isnt about him falling on his face looking like a CLOWN ..this is about the playing the QB position like you are suppose and not be a coward...KEEP YOUR EYES DOWN FIELD AND BE A PLAY MAKER....Those 2 yards didnt mean ****

it was not him taking a chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxqp37AVy8

Notice how the Senior Year Ryan and the Rookie Ryan look very similar. He was clearly neutered during his 4 years. If Koetter brings this back out of Ryan, we will all be happy campers again while swift mosies on to another team to troll since I'm willing to bet Ryan clears 4000 yards and 30 TDs to make him leave.

Ryan threw for 4000 yards and 29 tds under Mularkey and lol at he was neutered ..lol

More like Mularkey had to fit his offense around a QB that doesnt fit his skill with his lack of arm strength so he diesnged curl routes and stops for Ryan to be successful

as for Ryan not having any other options..we dont know that until we see coaches film but Im pretty sure Roddy or HD was deep and if Ryan would have just stepped into line and wing one and took a shot deep ...you never know instead Ryan rolls out and gains 2 yards...This isnt about him falling on his face looking like a CLOWN ..this is about the playing the QB position like you are suppose and not be a coward...KEEP YOUR EYES DOWN FIELD AND BE A PLAY MAKER....Those 2 yards didnt mean ****

it was not him taking a chance

You really believe HD was an option once he rolled out even though it is obvious and even you pointed it out, that his route was at the top of the screen. HD and Julio were backside and would have been stupid throws to make. Quizz blocked. So now you are back to Tony and Roddy. We don't know what Roddy ran, but it's quite clear Tony wasn't open. So it's either all Roddy or try and scramble. This isn't Madden swift. You take the scramble and suit back up. You don't just heave it because somebody is down there. HD wasn't open to begin with. Julio neither. Quizz blocked. If he doesn't slip, he gains maybe 1-2 more yards, not much more than what he got anyway unless he was going to take the hit.

You really believe HD was an option once he rolled out even though it is obvious and even you pointed it out, that his route was at the top of the screen. HD and Julio were backside and would have been stupid throws to make. Quizz blocked. So now you are back to Tony and Roddy. We don't know what Roddy ran, but it's quite clear Tony wasn't open. So it's either all Roddy or try and scramble. This isn't Madden swift. You take the scramble and suit back up. You don't just heave it because somebody is down there. HD wasn't open to begin with. Julio neither. Quizz blocked. If he doesn't slip, he gains maybe 1-2 more yards, not much more than what he got anyway unless he was going to take the hit.

Yes HD was a option ...for a QB with balls and a arm ...**** I even seen Ryan attempt cross field long throw before ..that

was early in his rookie season to Roddy but that was also inside controlled dome conditions and his football wouldnt flutter in air

VEL- go take a look at Ryan numbers outside...you will see a drastic difference then indoors

wink.png

Matt Ryan stats indoors / out doors

Indoors

08' 10 games :158 comp / atts 245/ 2226 yards / 8 tds 6 ints

09' 8 games : 137 comp /235 atts /1521 yards /14 tds 9 ints

10' 4 games : 90 comp/ 138 atts /1025 yards/9tds 3 ints

Total 22games 385 comp /618 atts/4772 yards /30 tds /18 ints

Outdoors

08' 6 games : 107 comp/ 189 atts / 1214 yards /8 tds /5 int

09' : 6 games : 137 comp/ 235 atts/1521 yards / 8 tds/ 5 int

10' : 3 games : 66 comp /114 atts /689 yards/ 3 tds/ 2 ints

Total : 15 games 310 comp/ 538 atts/ 3424 yards / 19 tds /12 ints

Ryan threw for 4000 yards and 29 tds under Mularkey and lol at he was neutered ..lol

More like Mularkey had to fit his offense around a QB that doesnt fit his skill with his lack of arm strength so he diesnged curl routes and stops for Ryan to be successful

Ryans ypa was higher than any QB that Mularkey was ever the OC for. Please..

This year was an anomaly for the NFL in general. 3 QBs passed for 5000 yards when only 2 had done it in the last 50 years. Ryan broke 4000 by 177 yards. I'd see if it was like 4600 yards or something. And this is coming from a pro-Ryan person. His stats we just ok given his offensive weapons. Stafford had one weapon and broke 5000. Yes, his arm is stronger, but he isn't a better QB.

Please with the tailoring the offense to his QB. The same complaints have followed MM at every stop, regardless of QB. Ryan is the best QB MM has ever had and still ran the same offense has always has.

Yes, Ryan has done cross field throws in his career. But you are going of pure wishful thinking that HD would have even been able to make a play on the ball. HE WASN'T OPEN TO BEGIN WITH! What don't you get about that? I'd see if it was a designed roll out and HD sprung open. Every back side throw Ryan threw, the guy was wide open.

I don't fall for that indoor/outdoor crap. He plays more games indoors so by default his numbers will be better. If the stadium was outdoor, it would be the opposite. If he played 7 more games outdoors and averaged a very pedestrian 200 yards and 2 TDs, he would be right on his indoor numbers.