Left Tackle-Right Tackle Prospect

Ole Miss

6'6 1/8"

316lbs.

5.18/40

Arms: 35"

Hand: 9"

Notes:

Was an all-state offensive tackle as a Virginia prep. before attending Hargrave Military Academy(VA.) in 2008, where he was the top-ranked prep school player in the country. As a true freshman in '09, he saw action in all 13 games and started the final five contests at right tackle. Started 24 games at right tackle over the next two seasons.

Positives:

Outstanding size and arm length with a well-proportioned build. Fairly light on his feet and quickly engages blockers. Flashes some explosion to generate movement off the ball (pancaked LSU's Michael Brockers). Good anchor strength and stature to wall off ends. Balanced, efficient kick-slide. Has strong hands to lock-up rushers. Good run blocker - can control, steer and seal lanes. Plays with urgency and held up well against SEC competition. Is seldom on the ground (nine times in four viewings).

Negatives:

Average hand quickness - can be slow to throw and exposes his frame. Will bend at the waist and fall off blocks. Can stand to play with more power. Could use more glass in his diet. Average lateral ability. Can do a better job of halting quick inside counters and finishing blocks. Will fall-off second level blocks and can be stressed by quickness. Gave up a sack to Alabama's Courtney Upshaw.

Summary:

A big, suprisingly athletic right tackle who appears to be more naturally suited for the left side. Flew under the radar in the fall, but has shown well against better competition.

NFL Projection: Second-round pick

PFW Rankings: #4 rated Offensive Tackle and #43 ranked NFL prospect overall

Honestly dawg, the more I read about these OT's, the more I warm to the idea of drafting Turner's eventual replacement in the 2nd round.

I'm not married to taking an offensive tackle in 2nd round - but I'm open to it if the right one is there....

I do think with either the 3rd or 5th rounder we need one. I would be happy with Nate Potter or Stephenson later in draft.

Honestly dawg, the more I read about these OT's, the more I warm to the idea of drafting Turner's eventual replacement in the 2nd round.

nobody sounds good after reading a scouting report - the positives make them sound great and the negatives make the prospect sound awful - by the time that you get to the end of a scouting report, you are convinced they are no good. Just remember that this was also the case for Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu as well.

nobody sounds good after reading a scouting report - the positives make them sound great and the negatives make the prospect sound awful - by the time that you get to the end of a scouting report, you are convinced they are no good. Just remember that this was also the case for Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu as well.

Those 4 were all 1st round picks. We are drafting at the end of the second round, in a weak draft. I'm starting to feel taking OT here is very limiting and not very value conscious.

Since it appears we won't be picking up a difference maker with regards to the LTposition via Fagency, I personally would love to pick up an LT in the draft, (2nd round). and finally move on from the Baker experiment. Don't really follow college ball, other than Bama, but if TD finds a stud LT in the draft, then I will take back everything bad I've ever said bout him.

Time to shine Thomas, with regards to your OL selections.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Since it appears we won't be picking up a difference maker with regards to the LTposition via Fagency, I personally would love to pick up an LT in the draft, (2nd round). and finally move on from the Baker experiment. Don't really follow college ball, other than Bama, but if TD finds a stud LT in the draft, then I will take back everything bad I've ever said bout him.

Time to shine Thomas, with regards to your OL selections.

More reason to take a tackle in the second or at the very least the third...Clabo is not getting any younger. And after watching Reynolds get steamrolled continuously, I doubt he could ever take Clabo's place.

If we take a player for LT and we find someone better in the future, the guy we take in this draft may be a good replacement for Clabo one day.

More reason to take a tackle in the second or at the very least the third...Clabo is not getting any younger. And after watching Reynolds get steamrolled continuously, I doubt he could ever take Clabo's place.

If we take a player for LT and we find someone better in the future, the guy we take in this draft may be a good replacement for Clabo one day.

it seems to me that many an NFL guard plays tackle in college - we could draft an offensive tackle this year and next and still end up with them both being starters at Right Guard and Left Tackle - it also would create flexibility on the offensive line - right now we have nobody that can play the Left Tackle spot, if we drafted a left tackle late this year(3rd-5th rds) and early next year (1st/2nd) maybe we end up with two starters to upgrade the line.

BTW, Falcons have the worst offensive line in the NFC South by far - and its not even close:

1) Tampa Bay - LT/Donald Penn, LG/Carl Nicks, C/Jeremy Zuttah, RG/Davin Joseph, RT/Jeremy Trueblood

2) New Orleans - LT/Jerome Bushrod, LG/Ben Grubbs, C/Brian DeLa Puente, RG/Jahri Evans, RT/Zach Streif

3) Carolina - LT/Jordan Gross, LG/Travelle Wharton, C/Mike Kalil, RG-Jeff Hangartner, RT-Byron Bell

4) Atlanta - LT/Svitek-Baker, LG/Justin Blalock, C-Todd McClure, RG-Vince Manuwai, RT-Tyson Clabo

I highlighted what I believe to be "PLUS" players (better than NFL average) at their positions and Falcons were the only team to only have one player along the offensive line that qualifies. Every team above has invested more resources (draft picks/free agent dollars) in their offensive lines other than Atlanta - that trend has got to be reversed for the Falcons.

and Kiper sez..

Analysis: Ole Miss beat Alabama to land Massie in what was thought of as

a real recruiting coup, so the spotlight has been on this young man for quite awhile. He became a fixture for the Rebels at

right tackle in for his three seasons with the team. Now, most people are looking for a left tackle that can provide significant

pass protection, and he’s not that guy, so his value will drop some. However, as a pure right tackle, Massie has the talent and skill level you

look for to have a nice, solid pro career. With another season in the SEC, I think he could have emerged as an elite offensive tackle in next

year’s draft. Still, if he can refine his talent and keep progressing, Massie could be a very good right tackle in the NFL and have one heck of a

career. Should hear his name called on round two of the draft. *Combine Note: Ran a 5.09, did 22 reps, and had a 27 ½” vertical jump.

it seems to me that many an NFL guard plays tackle in college - we could draft an offensive tackle this year and next and still end up with them both being starters at Right Guard and Left Tackle - it also would create flexibility on the offensive line - right now we have nobody that can play the Left Tackle spot, if we drafted a left tackle late this year(3rd-5th rds) and early next year (1st/2nd) maybe we end up with two starters to upgrade the line.

If that happens then we might have something to work with. Thing is TD has to see things that way as well. Maybe Smitty can convince him to start drafting for our lines until we get it right.

Baker might be salvageable as a RG or RT. He would have to take a much more manageable pay because he would probably be a backup.

Edited by egoprime II

and Kiper sez..

Analysis: Ole Miss beat Alabama to land Massie in what was thought of as

a real recruiting coup, so the spotlight has been on this young man for quite awhile. He became a fixture for the Rebels at

right tackle in for his three seasons with the team. Now, most people are looking for a left tackle that can provide significant

pass protection, and he’s not that guy, so his value will drop some. However, as a pure right tackle, Massie has the talent and skill level you

look for to have a nice, solid pro career. With another season in the SEC, I think he could have emerged as an elite offensive tackle in next

year’s draft. Still, if he can refine his talent and keep progressing, Massie could be a very good right tackle in the NFL and have one heck of a

career. Should hear his name called on round two of the draft. *Combine Note: Ran a 5.09, did 22 reps, and had a 27 ½” vertical jump.

if Kiper was running a team, they would have the worst roster in the NFL - you could wallpaper your home with all the bad picks that Kiper said were going to be studs.

I'm actually intrigued with this guy as a pick, not only as a possible LT option. He's been getting some hype lately. If he doesn't pan out as a great LT, he can eventually replace Clabo, and we can grab our LT next year when we actually have a 1st round pick.

He's a project, but he has tremendous upside. Give McNeil a one year contract, or start Svitek for a year and groom this guy.

He's a solid, versatile OL pick. Maybe Hill can make a star out of him?

I'm actually intrigued with this guy as a pick, not only as a possible LT option. He's been getting some hype lately. If he doesn't pan out as a great LT, he can eventually replace Clabo, and we can grab our LT next year when we actually have a 1st round pick.

He's a project, but he has tremendous upside. Give McNeil a one year contract, or start Svitek for a year and groom this guy.

Yeah, I feel kind of the same with about this guy.

At least, I don't feel like this guy is as much as a risk or a project as some of the other OL in this years draft..

On the other hand, I still would like a DT for our hybrid D in the second. But then we aren't in position to upgrade our OL very well.. This years draft is a tough one to crack!

That's my logic with a lot of these "second tier" tackles like Massie, Sanders, and Allen... if they don't wind up beating out Svitek/Baker at LT, they should at least provide a quality swing tackle and a player to groom to take over for Clabo at RT in 2-3 seasons. I just can't see us taking a running back with Turner, Snelling, Rogers, Smith and Nance all under contract, and the defensive linemen we like in the 2nd round will all probably be gone already.