Left Tackle

Illinois

6' 3 7/8"

307lbs

5.22/40

33 1/2" Arms

10" Hand

Notes:

Allen was a four year starter at an Illinois prep. Enrolled early in January 2008. Appeared in 11 games as a true freshman that fall, starting nine games at right tackle. Flipped to the Left side in '09 and started all games at Left Tackle. Helped pave the way for the Big 10's top rushing offense as a team captain in '10 making 13 starts at the weak-side tackle spot. Started all 13 games in '11 at the weak-side tackle spot, finishing his career with 47 consecutive starts. Received the Illini's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman award the past two years.

Positives:

Natural bender with outstanding recovery quickness, lateral agility and balance to mirror and sustain - is seldom on the ground or beaten in pass protection. Plays with a very solid base. Throws his hips in the hole and wins with quickness at the snap. Controls defenders with his hands. Is athtletic running the field and can connect on the second level. Good football intelligence. Quick learner. Flipped sides and has proven he can play in a left or right handed stance. Versatility is a big plus - can play either tackle position and has the quickness to handle movement on the inside. Solid character. Very committed, dedicated approach - has not missed a practice or a game. Is a tough, durable, hard-working starter.

Negatives:

Does not look the part - is knock-kneed, flesh bodied and pear-shaped. Lacks ideal height and arm length for the outside. Not a nasty finisher or a fiery run blocker. Not strong handed or violent with his punch Tends to set tall and catches a lot. Undisciplined eyes - late to see and adjust to some stunts. Conditioning has been a concern, and diet might require some additional monitoring.

Summary:

A model of consistency on and off the field. Allen makes the game look easy and is one of the best pure pass protectors in this year's draft, with unique balance, coordination and agility to warrant late first-round consideration as a left tackle prospect. Versatility, football smarts and durability could allow him to start immediately and play at a high level for the next 10 years.

NFL Projection: Top 50 pick

PFW rankings: #3 Ranked Offensive Tackle, #36 overall-rated prospect in entire NFL Draft

I said in the other thread, he reminds me of Baker. Not because of the shorter arms but because they are catchers, not punchers. That will get him in trouble like it does Baker. Baker was trying to catch Trent Cole instead of attack/punch him and he got bullrushed all game.

I always like big 10 lineman so i'm sure he is fundementally strong. He does appear to be shorter than the ideal LT. The one negative that stands out to me is that he is not a nasty finisher or fiery run blocker. I feel that is the area where we miss a Harvey Dahl type. We need some "nasty" on that line. We need the attitude that it takes to get 4th & 1 when fundementals give way to the one who is able to line up & punch someone in the mouth.

Nastiness or being fiery can be inspired by being coached up it takes the right person to bring it out of you. IMO You do not make love to another girl or man the same way you with the first one because each girl or man brings out something different in you depending on how the vibe is or connection between the two. Sometimes you don't even know you had a certain thing in you until they bring it out of you. So just because he didn't show that in college does not mean that Pat Hill can't bring that out of him. And Have you guys watched Baker in a college highlight reel he was getting pushed around like that in college to go figure.

I said in the other thread, he reminds me of Baker. Not because of the shorter arms but because they are catchers, not punchers. That will get him in trouble like it does Baker. Baker was trying to catch Trent Cole instead of attack/punch him and he got bullrushed all game.

I'm not saying we should take him - but Jeff Allen is much, much better than Sam Baker IMHO - don't think its close.

I always like big 10 lineman so i'm sure he is fundementally strong. He does appear to be shorter than the ideal LT. The one negative that stands out to me is that he is not a nasty finisher or fiery run blocker. I feel that is the area where we miss a Harvey Dahl type. We need some "nasty" on that line. We need the attitude that it takes to get 4th & 1 when fundementals give way to the one who is able to line up & punch someone in the mouth.

I like fiery, nasty O-Linemen as well - but more than anything from the left tackle spot - we need a technician - a good pass blocker. On the college level, Jeff Allen was a very, very good pass blocker - can he be at the next level? dunno......but that is what Falcons need - a very good pass blocker.

I'm not saying we should take him - but Jeff Allen is much, much better than Sam Baker IMHO - don't think its close.

Yea, not speaking in terms of ability, just how they play. Baker's problem was his lack of anchoring ability. You can't be a catcher and can't anchor. If Allen can anchor, then it's fine. He just isn't going to attack anybody and make them concerned about playing him for 60 minutes.

It says he has short arms. Not again

Watching his game films he likes to stand up, then back up and see what his man is going to do. This puts his man into his playing field some 3 to 5 feet before he takes them on. I'm not saying that's all bad but if and when he meets a player stronger than himself, they'll beat him and already will have advanced into the backfield too far. I think smack in the mouth hitting sooner defines a good lineman. JMO.

This SR leaves me a bit cold - how does NAte Potter stand up in the scouting report or is he so low in the rankings. It would seem that Osemele is the brute we are after but he isn't dextrous enough to be a LT. He would be a great addition to the O line trench.

Some nastiness seems to be the prefered ingredient...!

Watching his game films he likes to stand up, then back up and see what his man is going to do. This puts his man into his playing field some 3 to 5 feet before he takes them on. I'm not saying that's all bad but if and when he meets a player stronger than himself, they'll beat him and already will have advanced into the backfield too far. I think smack in the mouth hitting sooner defines a good lineman. JMO.

That's my point. Trent Cole did this repeatedly to Baker because it's a major flaw in his game. Guys couldn't do that to Svitek. If Allen can anchor and prevent this from happening, then I'd be fine with the pick, but I don't see it on film so I can't say

He's the 6th rated tackle in Kiper's book and Kiper has us taking him in his mock.

6. Jeff Allen 6-4 307 Illinois (S. 5.20) R. 8.6

Background:

High School

– Allen is a Chicago native who started for four years at King HS, earning all-region accolades as a senior after

amassing 97 tackles and two sacks as a senior defensive lineman.

Freshman – Allen was a Freshman All-American as a true rookie in 2008

after starting nine times at right tackle. He and his line mates helped Illinois lead the Big Ten in passing offense, at 269 yards per game, and

finish second in total offense, at 439 yards per contest.

Sophomore – Allen moved down the line to left tackle and he started all 12 games at

the new position in 2009. Illinois had 331 yards rushing against Fresno State and 377 in the Michigan game in two of their more impressive

offensive outings of the season.

Junior – Allen started all 13 games at tackle in 2010 and he helped the Illini lead the conference in rushing and

break school records for scoring.

Senior – This past season, Allen extended his streak of consecutive starts to 47 with 13 more starts. Behind

him and his line mates, Illinois ran for 308 yards against Indiana and 364 vs. South Dakota State.

Analysis: Allen played most of his career at

the critical left tackle position and he did a very good job. He is very intelligent and he plays a solid, reliable brand of football. When you watch

him play, you rarely saw fundamental mistakes or penalties that would set the offense back. Allen is a hard-working leader, respected by both

his coaches and teammates. He got better every year he played in the Big Ten, which is the kind of trend you look for when you’re evaluating

NFL potential. Allen worked against some of the best pass rushers in the nation during his time at Illinois and he comes into the draft having

played his best football late in his career. He is definitely an unheralded standout coming from the Illinois program. Allen has done everything

right throughout the draft process, just about ensuring a spot on day two of the draft. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he heard his name

called during the middle stages of round two. *Combine Note: Ran a 5.16, did 26 reps, and had a 27 ½” vertical jump.

You know, I really have a problem with how most of this is done. PFW knows what about the Falcons and the 31 other clubs. Sure, I can tell you what they need, but how in-tune are they with the organization? I think it says more when you get a report of whom the Falcons talk to. Even when they show up at a pro day, its hard to tell who they are there for unless you see them talking to somebody or know enough to know we need DE and TE and it makse sense to be at Clemson's pro day (oh yeah, throw in DT too).

On the prospect, who really has Jeff Allen as a LT? I saw him play during his senior year, he flipped sides at times. In the Senior Bowl, at practice, he didn't look good at LT. He lookes to be a better fit at guard. I can think of 12 other players that fit better than Allen.

You know, I really have a problem with how most of this is done. PFW knows what about the Falcons and the 31 other clubs. Sure, I can tell you what they need, but how in-tune are they with the organization? I think it says more when you get a report of whom the Falcons talk to. Even when they show up at a pro day, its hard to tell who they are there for unless you see them talking to somebody or know enough to know we need DE and TE and it makse sense to be at Clemson's pro day (oh yeah, throw in DT too).

On the prospect, who really has Jeff Allen as a LT? I saw him play during his senior year, he flipped sides at times. In the Senior Bowl, at practice, he didn't look good at LT. He lookes to be a better fit at guard. I can think of 12 other players that fit better than Allen.

How did you get ot of this that PFW was saying Falcons would take Jeff Allen? blink.png

Guest Fibonacci

good observation on Allen. I did not catch that he was doing that. I was sitting there the whole video saying, "I wonder how long this guy could hold for, cause it does not look long at all".

I like fiery, nasty O-Linemen as well - but more than anything from the left tackle spot - we need a technician - a good pass blocker. On the college level, Jeff Allen was a very, very good pass blocker - can he be at the next level? dunno......but that is what Falcons need - a very good pass blocker.

I said that I believe he is probably strong with his technique, however I have rarely if not at all heard that our line as a unit is not fundementally sound, even Sam Baker. The problem is we get pushed around alot, so if it stands out to scouts that he doesn't have that killer instinct, how long will it be before defenses seek to exploit that. Technique is important, but I will take a guy who may not have the best technique,but will line up & knock your head off play after play

Nastiness or being fiery can be inspired by being coached up it takes the right person to bring it out of you. IMO You do not make love to another girl or man the same way you with the first one because each girl or man brings out something different in you depending on how the vibe is or connection between the two. Sometimes you don't even know you had a certain thing in you until they bring it out of you. So just because he didn't show that in college does not mean that Pat Hill can't bring that out of him. And Have you guys watched Baker in a college highlight reel he was getting pushed around like that in college to go figure.

I disagree with your analogy more than your point. I'm not sold that nastiness can be be taught or coached, but as far as lovemaking, a certain woman may bring out the beast in you, but if you have made love to 30 women & only one brings out your best, than guess what? you have 29 other women who say that you are an average to lousy lover. If you are a Killer, and you bring that sledgehammer every time you line up then it doesn't take someone special to bring out the beast in you. I don't know if a coach can bring that out of you, I agree a woman can, but unfortunately you don't get to play your "first" every week