Josh Chapman

DT/NT - Alabama

6'0 5/8"

316lbs.

5.04/40

Arm: 32"

Hand: 11 1/8"

Notes:

Prepped at Hoover(Ala.) High. Played three games as a true fresman in 2007 before a shoulder injury ended his season (received a medical hardship waiver). Played all 14 games in '08, starting twice, and tallied 16 tackles, four for loss and zero sacks. In '09, had 17-2 1/2-1/2 in 13 games. Sat out against South Carolina (abdominal strain). Following the departure of Baltimore Ravens '10 second rounder Terrance Cody, started 12-of-13 games at nose tackle in '10 producing 31-3 1/2-1 with two batted passes in '11 after starting 11-of-12 games. Suffered a torn ACL and meniscus in his left knee Oct. 1 against Florida but played with the injury for the rest of the season, missing only the Georgia Southern game. Had knee surgery in January and did not perform in the Combine or Alabama's pro day.

Positives:

Has meat hooks for hands. Stoutly built - substantial body thickness with a sturdy trunk. Anchors with natural leverage - plays square, holds his ground and clogs running lanes. Can stack and shed. Diagnoses and locates the ball. Moves well for a 300-pounder. Very physically tough - has proven he will play through multiple injuries (shoulder, knee) and has a high pain thresold. Stable football and personal character - hardworking, outgoing and well-respected.

Negatives:

Lacks ideal height and has short arms. Wide, stiff hips (cannot work the edges). Average athletic ability. Limited Suddeness and explosion. Could stand to play with more violence in his hands. Marginal pass rush value - does not threaten with upfield quickness or power. Played in a rotation with a deep defensive line and could stand to improve conditioning.

Summary:

Strong, gritty two down, block-occupying plugger with a lunch-pail mentality. Can provide a team comfort knowing what it's getting given his dependable play for a national champion.

NFL Projection: Third-to-Fourth Round Pick

He scares me coming off that ACL injury. He can recover and I hope he does but for those big guys that can sometimes hamper their play. (Peria Jerry)

yes,..........Falcons have already suffered with Peria Jerry - he was never the same after the ACL and probably never will be.

he won't be there in the 5th. probably not even the 4th. and I wouldn't worry about his knee considering he played for a good amount of time and very few people knew about the injury.

that being said I don't think we should even be considering drafting him. we have good personnel for a 4-3 and what (prematurely) seems to be a decent 3-4 with the lack of a true nose guard. but with fewer picks than most teams i dont believe we should address that this year unless he falls tremendously (like the 6th or 5th). I believe we need to focus on ol and db.

I see chapman going to the texans in the 2nd-3rd

he won't be there in the 5th. probably not even the 4th. and I wouldn't worry about his knee considering he played for a good amount of time and very few people knew about the injury.

that being said I don't think we should even be considering drafting him. we have good personnel for a 4-3 and what (prematurely) seems to be a decent 3-4 with the lack of a true nose guard. but with fewer picks than most teams i dont believe we should address that this year unless he falls tremendously (like the 6th or 5th). I believe we need to focus on ol and db.

It's not that he is not able to play on the knee. It's just if he suffers another knee injury, it's probably over for him.

Edited by niels petersen

Negatives:

Lacks ideal height and has short arms. Wide, stiff hips (cannot work the edges). Average athletic ability. Limited Suddeness and explosion. Could stand to play with more violence in his hands. Marginal pass rush value - does not threaten with upfield quickness or power. Played in a rotation with a deep defensive line and could stand to improve conditioning.

These negatives sum up the problems with the current DT rotation...no way we should add more of the same before round 5 IMHO.

Seems low ceiling to me, 4th round is a stretch given the ACL history, even if he played through it.

Summary:

Strong, gritty two down, block-occupying plugger with a lunch-pail mentality. Can provide a team comfort knowing what it's getting given his dependable play for a national champion.

We need some more "upside" on both lines, not high motor, great attitudes, and team captains(NC team).

Thnx for the scouting report.