Falcons Free Agency Grades And Expectations For 2012

SaintRay

How many games will Atlanta win in 2012?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Atlanta win in 2012?

The Falcons didn't make a big splash in Free Agency, signing 2 new players while focusing on resigning a few players. They are also absent a couple of draft picks this year because of the JJ trade last year, including the 1st Rounder.

The team is replacing both the O & D Coordinators this year.

Following are the grades given to the Falcons for the moves they've made in Free Agency >>>

Falcons re-sign C Todd McClure (1 year, $990K; $215K guaranteed): A+ Grade

Todd McClure turned 35 recently, but he still gets the job done at center. The Falcons absolutely had to bring him back because they have no other alternatives, and retaining him at such a cheap price is a great move. Atlanta will have to find a successor very soon, however.

Falcons re-sign DE John Abraham (3 years, $21 million): B Grade

Thanks to Scott Carasik (@scar988) of Bleacher Report for alerting me of this. John Abraham is old (34 in May) and overrated. He seldom steps up in big games. Thus, I think this is a bit too much for him, though I'll allow for some leniency because I don't know what the guarantee is. I'll assume it's not too high, which would permit Atlanta to get out of this contract. So with that in mind, this is a decent re-signing because of continuity and the fact that the Falcons would have had a big hole at defensive end if they allowed Abraham to walk.

Falcons sign ILB Lofa Tatupu (2 years, $5.75 million): B Grade

This contract is all incentive-based, so the Falcons aren't risking much here. With that in mind, this is a pretty good deal. If Lofa Tatupu, the "beest defeenceman," hasn't gotten over his injuries, Atlanta can cut him and just insert Akeem Dent into the lineup. If he's healthy, however, the Falcons will have a **** good inside linebacker on their roster. They almost had to do something like this, given that Curtis Lofton won't be back next year.

Falcons re-sign DE Kroy Biermann (3 years, $9 million): C+ Grade

Kroy Biermann was solid in 2010, but struggled last year. The Falcons are buying a bit low here, but I thought they'd be able to retain him for a bit less.

Falcons re-sign S Thomas DeCoud (5 years, $17.5M; $4M guaranteed): B Grade

Thomas DeCoud isn't a very good player. He plays the run well, but happens to be a major liability in coverage. But I'm not giving the Falcons a bad grade because they're re-signing one of their own and only giving him $4 million in guarantees. Atlanta can pursue an upgrade at this spot next spring if the 27-year-old doesn't improve.

Tough schedule and new coaches. Not sure it all works itself out in 1 year. But it better as Abe isnt getting younger and Tony G may be in his last year. Many fans will be sitting on the edge of their seats again while we squeeze out some close games.

Before Smith and TD the falcons never had back to back winning seasons. Since they have been here. Every season has posted a winning record. 4 seasons straight is tough for any NFL team. But 5 is just that much harder and the teams they face looking at last year will be that much harder as well.

Edited by danight

The time commitment of the contracts is telling here.

Falcons seem willing to stick with the status quo, but its apparent it wont be for long.

I think there is still room for significant change with this team.

Dimitroff always seems to wait til the last minute to bring in a key contributor.

And I still believe there is draft day trade in the plans.

But I think the evaluation is fair. Not sure why Harry Douglas was left off.

Not sure why Harry Douglas was left off.

HD never gets any love. The falcons best kept secret and 1 of the often over looked weapons. Had he left the falcons for any team like the bucs, skins, jags etc etc... He would be a worthy mention and probably a quality grade.

HD never gets any love. The falcons best kept secret and 1 of the often over looked weapons. Had he left the falcons for any team like the bucs, skins, jags etc etc... He would be a worthy mention and probably a quality grade.

if hes atl best kept secret, its no wonder atl scored 2 points in the playoffs!

84 catches for 1112 and 3 TDs in 3 years!

He avgs a TD a year!!!! lol

if hes atl best kept secret, its no wonder atl scored 2 points in the playoffs!

84 catches for 1112 and 3 TDs in 3 years!

He avgs a TD a year!!!! lol

HD is the man. Robinson was our guy to before he went to cowboys and now Jaggs. I think HD could be just as productive in the right situations. Its not his fault we didn't use him correctly. He was hurt some of that time also.

If he was a Saint, saints fans would love him. He has the explosive speed like sproles. He also stood in for Jones this past season and was productive. Given a fair shot at being a starter, he could be a solid #2 guy.

But its no secret MM didn't know how to use our talented WR`s over the years and he had some good ones. But Jones and White 1 are 2 top level guys and its hard for him to shine with that in a power run scheme that barely uses him.

As far as 2 points in the playoffs. Maybe if we took hits out on people and payed our players off the record to avoid cap hits. By a felon, maybe we could have scored more than 2 points. You all cheated every year and still came up short. Epic fail.

Edited by danight

HD is the man. Robinson was our guy to before he went to cowboys and now Jaggs. I think HD could be just as productive in the right situations. Its not his fault we didn't use him correctly. He was hurt some of that time also.

If he was a Saint, saints fans would love him. He has the explosive speed like sproles. He also stood in for Jones this past season and was productive. Given a fair shot at being a starter, he could be a solid #2 guy.

But its no secret MM didn't know how to use our talented WR`s over the years and he had some good ones. But Jones and White 1 are 2 top level guys and its hard for him to shine with that in a power run scheme that barely uses him.

As far as 2 points in the playoffs. Maybe if we took hits out on people and payed our players off the record to avoid cap hits. By a felon, maybe we could have scored more than 2 points. You all cheated every year and still came up short. Epic fail.

it worked once so it wasn't a complete failure!

You could pay all the players you want to take hits on out people!! it wont work when YOUR offense put up 0

I can't make myself like HD at this point. I know the guy's come up with some big plays, occasionally against a real team, but it's usually as the second receiver; he doesn't do a lot in the slot and one of the biggest problems we had last year was that we had too many plays where we had Roddy and Julio do some kind of comeback route, Gonzalez somewhere in the middle, a checkdown out of the backfield, and either Mughelli, Cox, or Kelly on the field whiffing on a block where we should have had a slot receiver getting open against single coverage. That 4th down against the Giants where we had everyone lined up outside, the Giants not even pretending to try to cover everyone, and us doing a quarterback dive when we were basically being given a touchdown if we could reliably execute a quick pass to anyone on the outside was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen as a Falcon fan. That might have been MM and/or Smith deciding that the team just didn't have the chemistry to pull that off, it just seems like if HD was a player, he'd be on the field making plays in big games like that one that one would think would be made for a receiver of his type when the other team is making a point of concentrating on everyone but him.

Edited by Serge

it worked once so it wasn't a complete failure!

You could pay all the players you want to take hits on out people!! it wont work when YOUR offense put up 0

Maybe we could get some more play makers if we didnt care about the salary cap either and just payed everyone under the table. Then have our players run the PA to protect all the criminal actions.

But Brees wont need a bonus for taking him out. It will be some players pleasure.

Maybe we could get some more play makers if we didnt care about the salary cap either and just payed everyone under the table. Then have our players run the PA to protect all the criminal actions.

But Brees wont need a bonus for taking him out. It will be some players pleasure.

you could do that. it may work. i dont think it will but hey, its worth a try right.

I hear Lofton will be getting paid very handsomely for 2 games this year

Edited by FREE Payton

Watch this video and see Lofton in action!

To see that hit on Brees 1 time, would almost be worth letting bountygate die down. Almost, but seeing the Saints get busted for being cheating over their greatest run in the franchise history and basically pee`ing on Brees legacy. Now thats a priceless hit. Money can not even buy such a monumental event.

That black eye is even worse than the doo-doo stain on his face.

Edited by danight