Bucs Free Agency Grades And Expectations For 2012

SaintRay

How many games will Tampa Bay win in 2012?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How many games will Tampa Bay win in 2012?

Radio is gone, and that was big part of their 2011 decline. The players quit on him.

New coach, new open pocket spending by the owner. Will they be a better team?

And now the Bucs land this guys as graded by Walter Football >>>

Buccaneers sign DT Amobi Okoye (1 years, $2 million): B Grade

This is a decent signing. Amobi Okoye had a quality 2011 campaign as a situational pass-rusher. The Buccaneers need someone to push Brian Price, who has been a disappointment in the NFL thus far.

Bucs sign CB Eric Wright (5 years, $37.5M): MILLEN ON LSD-LACED KIELBASA Grade

This is the worst signing in NFL history. That sentence is not an exaggeration.

Eric Wright is terrible. I gave him 1.5 stars in my 2012 NFL Free Agent Rankings for a reason. He's been torched numerous times per week over the past few seasons. Detroit and Cleveland fans know how bad Wright is, and the Buccaneers are about to find out.

Seriously, what the **** was Mark Dominik thinking? He couldn't have been sober when he made this transaction. I refuse to believe it. A plausible explanation is that Matt Millen snuck into his office, strangled him, shoved some LSD-laced kielbasa into the general manager's back side, and then slipped Wright's agent's number into his hand. When Dominik awoke, he was still delirious, so thought that paying $37.5 million to one of the worst cornerbacks on the market was a great idea.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. You heard it here first.

Buccaneers sign G Carl Nicks (5 years, $47.5M; $31M guaranteed): C+ Grade

Once again, I can't support a signing like this. I'll repeat: Players who come from great franchises and go to bad teams solely for the money seldom pan out. It's apparent that Carl Nicks doesn't care about winning. He just wanted a few extra million that the Buccaneers were able to offer him. Now that he has his mega contract, will he give 100 percent? Will he care if Tampa Bay makes the playoffs or not? Because if he wanted to win and have the best career possible, he would have stayed with Drew Brees.

Buccaneers sign WR Vincent Jackson (5 years, $55.5M; $26M guaranteed): C+ Grade

Only a C+!? The media is raving about this signing, yet I'm giving it just a C+? I obviously hate the Buccaneers!

I don't hate this signing (or the Buccaneers), but I don't like it very much either. Is that because Vincent Jackson hasn't caught more than 68 passes in a single season? No, but it doesn't help. Is that because Jackson hasn't played with a non-elite quarterback in his NFL career? No, but it doesn't help.

Here's my reasoning: Players who take tons of money in free agency, going from a playoff-caliber team to a crappy squad, have a really checkered history. Think about Sidney Rice last summer. Think about Albert Haynesworth. Think about O.J. Atogwe. Think about Zach Miller. Think about all of the bums Daniel Snyder has brought in over the years.

These players often fail because money is a greater priority for them than football. Of course money is important, but when you're getting a $55 million contract, why should $5 or so extra million command where you play football? Josh Freeman is a decent quarterback, but he won't maximize Jackson's potential like Philip Rivers could. As a consequence, Jackson's career will never be as great as it could have been. But like Rice, he doesn't care because he squeezed an extra few million out of a terrible team.

Buccaneers sign G Carl Nicks (5 years, $47.5M; $31M guaranteed): C+ Grade

Once again, I can't support a signing like this. I'll repeat: Players who come from great franchises and go to bad teams solely for the money seldom pan out. It's apparent that Carl Nicks doesn't care about winning. He just wanted a few extra million that the Buccaneers were able to offer him. Now that he has his mega contract, will he give 100 percent? Will he care if Tampa Bay makes the playoffs or not? Because if he wanted to win and have the best career possible, he would have stayed with Drew Brees.

Did you leave your objectivity on vacation lol. If I were to read between the lines, it would appear you are hinting that nicks isnt the player everyone thinks he is, now that he's signed with the bucs. Either that or everyone will fail who isnt on drew brees' team. which is a tad homerisitic

Did you leave your objectivity on vacation lol. If I were to read between the lines, it would appear you are hinting that nicks isnt the player everyone thinks he is, now that he's signed with the bucs. Either that or everyone will fail who isnt on drew brees' team. which is a tad homerisitic

Walter Football said that, not me. Nicks is a mean man among boys. The guy is playing at Hall of Fame levels. I hated to see him leave.

Bucs are one of the FA winners for sure this offseason. But to much change is tough to overcome. We did it in 08 but every year teams try and do it and fall short. The South is touhg to play in and im not sure the Bucs are ready for it.

But while i expect the bucs to be last in the South. I am scared they could be the sleeper team many will over look and they might be tougher than many expect. They play the South teams very hard and if they can win those games. Who knows they maybe the shock team that goes to the playoffs.

Is Nicks gonna just gel right in and play as hard as he was last season? Was he playing because he really is that good or because he wanted to be paid like the best?

Early on last season, I thought the Buccs were going to be the team to beat in the South. With victories over the Falcons and Saint the Buccs were in good shape....but then the wheels fell off, or rather the pirate ship hit the rocks. I expect the new coaching staff to get off to a slow start and be more competitive towards the end of the season.

hahahahahah Fool!!! lol

The grades is this analysis are totally bananas.

Bucs are one of the most interesting teams to watch in 2012.

Freeman had a tough year with no camps, but Jackson is an awesome weapon to his arsenal.

I dont know any defender who wants a full dose of LeGarette being led by Nicks.

I am anxious to see what Bucs do in the draft.

This team has turnaround written all over it.

I stated it when Wright got signed that he is Turrible. My buddy is a Browns fan that has not missed a home game in over 30 years. He drives over 4 hours and once did it with no radio.

Anyways, he knows the Browns inside and out and when I went to the Falcons game in Cleveland with him a couple years ago, he said multiple times how bad he is. We shall see, but I look forward to seeing this:

jones9.jpg

But seriously, it may take a half a season to gel, but the Bucs have alot of talent and could really be a tough team late in the season. They have a bright future.

Yeah, they should've stood pat.rolleyes.gif

You've been alive before there was real free agency, you should know as well as anyone the difference between signing guys that fit a plan and throwing money at the biggest names on the market.

You've been alive before there was real free agency, you should know as well as anyone the difference between signing guys that fit a plan and throwing money at the biggest names on the market.

True, but what you fail to realize they had great needs at all those positions. Nicks was probably the least needed, but how often do 25 year old All Pro lineman come available and by acting quickly they made sure he wasn't re-signed by the Saints which was an added bonus.

This was a team that needed serious help, on the field AND at the ticket office! Any sane owner with the cap space they had would've done the same thing. Then when you see the contracts they signed it makes even more sense. There isn't a single signing bonus in any of the free agent contracts so there's no cap space that will need to be prorated in the future.

But the Falcons are the only ones that make smart moves, right?

RIGHT?laugh.png

Also another thing about thie Nicks signing is. OLINE get hurt often and if you have solid depth there it will only help protect your QB and open holes for your running game. 1 Oline going down could be a make or break weakness that the opponents need to exploit to win.

Look at the impact sam baker had on the Falcons. 1 goes down and the wall collapses and has your entire fan base questioning the QB and RB for lack of production.

A solid line could be the difference in what Josh needs to step up and get his confidence back.

True, but what you fail to realize they had great needs at all those positions. Nicks was probably the least needed, but how often do 25 year old All Pro lineman come available and by acting quickly they made sure he wasn't re-signed by the Saints which was an added bonus.

This was a team that needed serious help, on the field AND at the ticket office! Any sane owner with the cap space they had would've done the same thing. Then when you see the contracts they signed it makes even more sense. There isn't a single signing bonus in any of the free agent contracts so there's no cap space that will need to be prorated in the future.

But the Falcons are the only ones that make smart moves, right?

RIGHT?laugh.png

I wasn't disputing that the Bucs spent money to get people to come to the games, I'm just saying the Bucs put an awful lot of money into a few guys and it doesn't look like they were signed because they fit a need so much as they were the biggest names at need positions, especially dumping all that money into Jackson and Wright.

I wasn't disputing that the Bucs spent money to get people to come to the games, I'm just saying the Bucs put an awful lot of money into a few guys and it doesn't look like they were signed because they fit a need so much as they were the biggest names at need positions, especially dumping all that money into Jackson and Wright.

The only questionable signing they have is Wright, and it's more because the size of the contract. He's a decent corner but not nearly worth the $$ he signed for. The saving grace their is what I pointed out earlier... NO signing bonus! Jackson is going to open up our passing game big time! Of course, you all can always hope Freeman is really as bad as he looked last season, but I doubt it.

Anyway.......the way I see it we have nowhere to go but up!

Of course, you all can always hope Freeman is really as bad as he looked last season, but I doubt it.

Now with a legit #1 target, he has to improve. But you can bet he is gonna be sick of hearinf Ryan, Brees, Cam and him not being mentioned because of last season. I expect he will improve and wanna make a name for himself.

The bigger question is. How much lead way does the new staff give him? Do they micro manage him, or let him have more free roam to choose if to run or not.

The only questionable signing they have is Wright, and it's more because the size of the contract. He's a decent corner but not nearly worth the $$ he signed for. The saving grace their is what I pointed out earlier... NO signing bonus! Jackson is going to open up our passing game big time! Of course, you all can always hope Freeman is really as bad as he looked last season, but I doubt it.

The way I heard it before free agency started, it was all radio's fault the receivers couldn't get open, and that's why the receiving core the Bucs tried to draft didn't have much of a sophomore season. Now that the Bucs signed a receiver, the problem was that the Bucs didn't have that type of receiver before and are going to kill now that they do. What happens when Jackson doesn't average 18 yards a catch on 60 catches next year?

The way I heard it before free agency started, it was all radio's fault the receivers couldn't get open, and that's why the receiving core the Bucs tried to draft didn't have much of a sophomore season. Now that the Bucs signed a receiver, the problem was that the Bucs didn't have that type of receiver before and are going to kill now that they do. What happens when Jackson doesn't average 18 yards a catch on 60 catches next year?

That's the way YOU heard it. If you had truly listened to anyone you would've realized that what was happening was EVERY team was rolling their coverage towards Williams because we had no one to spread the field. You can only hope that we will be as bad as you're hoping for. You just keep sipping on that Kool-Aid WRW keeps serving up.laugh.png

That's the way YOU heard it. If you had truly listened to anyone you would've realized that what was happening was EVERY team was rolling their coverage towards Williams because we had no one to spread the field. You can only hope that we will be as bad as you're hoping for. You just keep sipping on that Kool-Aid WRW keeps serving up.laugh.png

I heard it from you specifically.

I heard it from you specifically.

Link?

What you heard from me was that Morris totally ****** up our team, was disorganized and was clueless when it came to discipline and coaching at the professional level. Not to mention, his coaching staff was clueless on how to adjust to what defenses were doing.

Try again.wink.png

Link?

What you heard from me was that Morris totally ****** up our team, was disorganized and was clueless when it came to discipline and coaching at the professional level. Not to mention, his coaching staff was clueless on how to adjust to what defenses were doing.

Try again.wink.png

I haven't been able to find the thread in the time I have before the day gets going but the conversation I intend to find in the near future included you saying that the Bucs had problems at receiver last year because radio didn't know how to make routes for receivers, as compared to a major talent deficiency in the receivers or the majority of the fault resting with Freeman.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if "a bulk" means "the bulk," as in the majority, but otherwise the explanation given for the receiving core's struggles was that the previous coaching staff was simply too stupid to make the receivers get open.

Edited by Serge

I haven't been able to find the thread in the time I have before the day gets going but the conversation I intend to find in the near future included you saying that the Bucs had problems at receiver last year because radio didn't know how to make routes for receivers, as compared to a major talent deficiency in the receivers or the majority of the fault resting with Freeman.

EDIT:

http://boards.atlant...me/page__st__20

I'm not sure if "a bulk" means "the bulk," as in the majority, but otherwise the explanation given for the receiving core's struggles was that the previous coaching staff was simply too stupid to make the receivers get open.

You want to make it sound like we didn't need an outside receiver threat? Fine with me. I doubt there is anyone, anywhere that'll agree with you except the moron from WalterFootball.com that wrote that stupid free agency grade article.

Why is it that when you all trade 5 picks to move up in the draft and take a #1 receiver it's a good thing, yet when the BUCS go out in free agency and don't have to do anything but sign a #1 receiver, it's a worthless move?

Huh?

Your hatred for the team that actually WON a playoff game and a Super Bowl while they had the talent shows as nothing but sour grapes. How about a little objectivity Junior?