Articles On Mike Nolan For Those Who Would Like To Know More About Him

tobyd77

Here are some articles on Mike Nolan from those who may would like to dig a little bit more into the life of Mike Nolan from his early days of being DC that may give some of you a little more insight of who Nolan is.

http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/mike-nolan

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2008/10/01/nolan-defends-the-defense/

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Forty-Niners/message/2139

There are more articles within the third one to if you continue to hit next.

It is a collection of emails that Nolan was asked during the offseason training camps with SF

in 08". I believe that he is going to start answering questions for us soon to.

Nolan is still somewhat young too talented to not get another shot a head coaching job- maybe Atlanta if Smitty falters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Nolan

Coaching tree

Mike Nolan has been linked to more than one coaching tree. He was a defensive coordinator for Brian Billick (who is part of the Sid Gillman/Bill Walsh coaching tree), Al Groh (who is part of the Bill Parcells coaching tree), and Norv Turner (part of the Jimmy Johnson tree). However, Nolan is most directly related to Dan Reeves. Reeves brought Nolan with him from Denver (where he was linebackers coach) to be the New York Giants defensive coordinator in 1993. Nolan excelled at the position and his success served as a springboard for later success with other teams.

If you take those away, which you can’t take away because it’s reality, but from a standpoint of how do we get better, you’ve got to evaluate those plays

The realest thing I have heard from him. This is what plagued our coaches. It wasn't realistic to ask for perfection every single time from your players, but that was the expectation. They expected them to perform perfectly against other NFL players whose job is to perform as well. It was set up to fail because playoff teams are teams who are going to win some of those matchups and we didn't know how to account for that.

Nolan is still somewhat young too talented to not get another shot a head coaching job- maybe Atlanta if Smitty falters

Mike is young, but this is his 7th DC gig. That's a lot for a young man(in terms of coaching) and makes me think that Mike might lack the political savvy to negotiate the shark-infested HC waters. Nolan might be pigeon-holed.

Mike is young, but this is his 7th DC gig. That's a lot for a young man(in terms of coaching) and makes me think that Mike might lack the political savvy to negotiate the shark-infested HC waters. Nolan might be pigeon-holed.

perhaps. His father was a good 49er HC from the Bill Walsh tree...

I think Nolan and Smitty could be a great HC/DC combo. Nolan has no intentions on being a HC so he won't be gunning for Smitty's head and he is a great DC. The reason he has bounced around is because he has been at some poorly run franchises lately (MIA, WAS, DEN, SF), not that he sucked. Therefore, he could be our DC for a long time, or until somebody offers him a HC deal he can't refuse. Smitty is a good leader and manager of men. He showed that early in his career here. I think with the players buying in to new schemes, we could see Smitty back to himself.

I think Nolan and Smitty could be a great HC/DC combo. Nolan has no intentions on being a HC so he won't be gunning for Smitty's head and he is a great DC. The reason he has bounced around is because he has been at some poorly run franchises lately (MIA, WAS, DEN, SF), not that he sucked. Therefore, he could be our DC for a long time, or until somebody offers him a HC deal he can't refuse. Smitty is a good leader and manager of men. He showed that early in his career here. I think with the players buying in to new schemes, we could see Smitty back to himself.

TD needs to sign him up for a lifetime contract