Pfw Scouting Report - Cb Trumaine Johnson-Montana

g-dawg

Trumaine Johnson Scouting Report

CB-FS

Montana

6'1 7/8"

204lbs

Notes:

Made 11 starts in 2008 as a true freshman, posting 21 tackles, four passes defensed and four interceptions. Missed the last 5 games with a partially torn PCL in his right knee. Led the Grizzlies in pass breakups and interceptions in '09 after recording 54-12-5 with three tackles for a loss in 11 starts. Made all 11 starts in '10 logging 44-7-4 with 3 1/2 tackles for a loss and half a sack. Was also used on offense, rushing twice for 11 yards and returned 8 kickoffs for 178yds (22.2yd average). Started 13 of 14 games in '11, recording 54-12-2 with a forced fumble, six tackles for a loss and a sack. Was arrested along with a teammate for obstructing a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest the moring after the Grizzlies recorded a 28-24 win over Northern Arizona on Oct. 22 in an alchohol-related incident in which he was tasered.

Positives:

Rare size-speed ratio. Looks every bit the part with extremely long arms to hem receivers at the line. Very good leaping ability, body control and ball skills - makes acrobatic plays in the air high-pointing the ball. Good coverage instincts and closing burst - jumps routes and shows awareness with his back to the ball. Carries a swagger and dominated Big Sky competition. Has the traits to move to free safety with a frame to easily stack on 10 pounds. Experienced four year starter with kickoff-return ability.

Negatives:

Has faced marginal competition and too often will play down to its level and coast on his athletic talent. Questionable work habits an makeup - did not work in the classroom, has been described as 'self-centered' and will require maintenance to keep him in line. Selective tackler and toughness - does not always bring it (although clearly will strike when he wants to). Slowed by injuries in his career. Clocked average 10-yard split at the combine (1.65 seconds).

Summary:

A long-limbed press corner with loose hips for his size. Johnson is extremely talented, can match-up well against big receivers and has the size, ball skills and striking ability to potentially help at safety. Would benefit highly from a structured environment and demanding coach who will challenge him and hold him accountable. Has the tools to become a #1 corner if he can be managed properly and stay focused.

NFL Projection: Top-50 pick (#33 overall prospect in draft per PFW list)

I still want a big/physical DT like Brandon Thompson-Clemson with our #55 pick but I'm starting to realize he might not be around and none of the other highy thought of D-Tackles.

I do believe the Falcons have good corner depth right now with starters (Grimes/Robinson) and reserves (Franks/Walls/Owens). I would not at all be suprised if Falcons didn't re-sign Grimes and just let him play out the franchise tender and let him walk in 2013 - when he will be 30yrs old. In such a scenario, drafting Trumaine Johnson would make sense - Trumaine could also take over at free safety for DeCoud if DeCoud does not step up in Mike Nolan's new defensive scheme.

Would benefit highly from a structured environment and demanding coach who will challenge him and hold him accountable.

Sounds perfect.

I really like this guy from what I've heard, and I agree with your thoughts on the Grimes situation depending on how both Franks and Trumaine pan out. His ceiling is very high and at the very least I could see him being our Big Nickel beast. I was impressed with Franks last year and considering Nolan's best attribute is developing DBs, I could see either Franks or Johnson filling Grimes' spot on the outside adequately next year.

Keep posting these threads, g-dawg. They're the only saving grace while this forum is moving slowly before the draft.

Sounds perfect.

I really like this guy from what I've heard, and I agree with your thoughts on the Grimes situation depending on how both Franks and Trumaine pan out. His ceiling is very high and at the very least I could see him being our Big Nickel beast. I was impressed with Franks last year and considering Nolan's best attribute is developing DBs, I could see either Franks or Johnson filling Grimes' spot on the outside adequately next year.

Keep posting these threads, g-dawg. They're the only saving grace while this forum is moving slowly before the draft.

will do Sven - will keep'em coming when I have time.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he lasted to the third. I say this because of how many CBs are in front of him and he is a small school guy. You have Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Jenkins, Gilmore, Robinson, Hosley, Dennard, Johnson, Boykin, and Hayward all in front of him or in his range. Depending on how things fall, he could be a third rounder. That would be a dream scenario, but I see us going Thompson, Iloka, and Stephenson with the first three picks. That gives us a big DT, big safety and LT. No TE though.

I still want a big/physical DT like Brandon Thompson-Clemson with our #55 pick but I'm starting to realize he might not be around and none of the other highy thought of D-Tackles.

I do believe the Falcons have good corner depth right now with starters (Grimes/Robinson) and reserves (Franks/Walls/Owens). I would not at all be suprised if Falcons didn't re-sign Grimes and just let him play out the franchise tender and let him walk in 2013 - when he will be 30yrs old. In such a scenario, drafting Trumaine Johnson would make sense - Trumaine could also take over at free safety for DeCoud if DeCoud does not step up in Mike Nolan's new defensive scheme.

Yeah, drafting a CB like Johnson in the second means we will have to find a quality DT later.. I've been looking a little around, and I'm starting to feel like DeJohn Harris from USC is an interesting prospect. He is not as big as Thompson or Chapman, but he is athletic for his size, and has managed to improve every year. The knock on him is his consistency and conditioning. He might dominate on one snap, and then disappear on the next - but maybe that isn't as big a problem with our DT rotation. Hopefully, that is something he can work on. I just can't figure out in which round Harris is projected to go, but I guess it is around the 3rd or 4th round. I'm not quite sure how he will fit into Nolans scheme, as he probably seems a little more of a 1- or 3- tech DT, which might not be our biggest need, but I just like the guy.

Here's a little tape.

I think I'd like a draft of Johnson and Harris, but I do kind of feel that we have enough CBs as of now, so maybe it would be wiser to go DT first and big nickel later. But as you mentioned g-dawg, the highly touted DTs might not even be around at #55. I really believe that Philly will take Thompson at #46 before us. ****, it is hard to figure out who I want for this draft tongue.png

Edited by niels petersen

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he lasted to the third. I say this because of how many CBs are in front of him and he is a small school guy. You have Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Jenkins, Gilmore, Robinson, Hosley, Dennard, Johnson, Boykin, and Hayward all in front of him or in his range. Depending on how things fall, he could be a third rounder. That would be a dream scenario, but I see us going Thompson, Iloka, and Stephenson with the first three picks. That gives us a big DT, big safety and LT. No TE though.

I'd like that scenario very much. But I just don't think Thompson will be there at #55. I really see Philly going after him before we pick.

vel, corners go early and often. I suspect (in other words I'm guessing) that NFL GMs are higher on Trumaine Johnson than we are. Corners with size go early and corners that are talented in general go early - some teams will draft twice at the same position - there are not so many higher rated corners that would push Trumaine Johnson to the bottom of the third round for us - IF - NFL GMs are really high on this kid.

Again, my GUESS is that Dimitroff has Brandon Thompson, Trumaine Johnson and probably five or six other players targeted at #55 - and will take the one he ranks the highest - getting Trumaine in the third round, in my mind, seems highly unlikely.

vel, corners go early and often. I suspect (in other words I'm guessing) that NFL GMs are higher on Trumaine Johnson than we are. Corners with size go early and corners that are talented in general go early - some teams will draft twice at the same position - there are not so many higher rated corners that would push Trumaine Johnson to the bottom of the third round for us - IF - NFL GMs are really high on this kid.

Again, my GUESS is that Dimitroff has Brandon Thompson, Trumaine Johnson and probably five or six other players targeted at #55 - and will take the one he ranks the highest - getting Trumaine in the third round, in my mind, seems highly unlikely.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think Trumaine is a bit of a sleeper, and that is something these NFL GMs recognize.. He might last into the 3rd, but probably not till #84. I can't see him fall past the Chiefs at #74.. If Pioli and TD are anything alike, the Chiefs could try to replace the loss of Brandon Carr with Johnson in the 3rd, as they are about to go against Peyton Manning.

Edited by niels petersen

That would be a dream scenario, but I see us going Thompson, Iloka, and Stephenson with the first three picks. That gives us a big DT, big safety and LT. No TE though.

I would absolutely LOVE if the first 3 picks unfolded like that. We can get a TE next year... sure they won't get to learn from TG for a year, but there's no telling whether anyone we could potentially draft this year would actually take advantage of having him around either.

Guys why are we interested in a cb who will either be gone before 55 or wnt be there by the 3rd... Cb isnt a need to begin with.. we need to line help regardless id offensive or defensive...

I'm just posting scouting reports on various guys the Falcons are said to be interested in - or at least pretending to be and doing private workouts, etc.

I've said all along my preference at #55 is generally Defensive Tackle and specifically DT-Brandon Thompson-Clemson. Having said that, I am just trying to provide information on various prospects to promote discussion, madman - I am neither promotiing the selection of Trumaine Johnson nor discouraging it.

I'm just posting scouting reports on various guys the Falcons are said to be interested in - or at least pretending to be and doing private workouts, etc.

I've said all along my preference at #55 is generally Defensive Tackle and specifically DT-Brandon Thompson-Clemson. Having said that, I am just trying to provide information on various prospects to promote discussion, madman - I am neither promotiing the selection of Trumaine Johnson nor discouraging it.

ok i understand... I like the player just was trying to see why, no big deal...

I like Trumaine a lot, but I think taking Iloka in the third would be a better idea. Iloka can play deep safety and also man. He is 6'4 220 so he would give those TEs problems in the big nickel sets. I like him a lot and think he could be a real possibility. One player that fell far for a reason that I don't know is Markelle Martin. I love Martin and think he will be a real player in the league. He has deep range and Earl Thomas/Ed Reed type of style of play.

I like Trumaine a lot, but I think taking Iloka in the third would be a better idea. Iloka can play deep safety and also man. He is 6'4 220 so he would give those TEs problems in the big nickel sets. I like him a lot and think he could be a real possibility. One player that fell far for a reason that I don't know is Markelle Martin. I love Martin and think he will be a real player in the league. He has deep range and Earl Thomas/Ed Reed type of style of play.

How far do you think he'll fall?

From the interviews I've seen, Iloka seems to have a good head on his shoulders, too. As I stated in the other thread about safeties, I think Smith goes before our pick & there is no other safety in this class I would take in the 2nd. I would prefer to spend that 2nd rounder on a DT or OT and grab either Iloka or Martin in the 3rd.

The more I look into Johnson the more I like him. He has great ballhawk instincts, great size, and very good athleticism to go along with the other two main qualities. He is very good in coverage and can blitz well to boot. It is obvious that his technique is raw and he needs to stop going for kill shots and to wrap up instead, but both of those can be fixed with proper coaching. Give him a year or two of Nolan's coaching and he can become a very good corner, which would be welcome considering the question marks of Grime staying here long term and Dunta performing up to his contract, or at worst he can replace DeCoud at FS and until then he can play at Nolan's spur safety position.

Trumaine Johnson Scouting Report

CB-FS

Montana

6'1 7/8"

204lbs

Notes:

Made 11 starts in 2008 as a true freshman, posting 21 tackles, four passes defensed and four interceptions. Missed the last 5 games with a partially torn PCL in his right knee. Led the Grizzlies in pass breakups and interceptions in '09 after recording 54-12-5 with three tackles for a loss in 11 starts. Made all 11 starts in '10 logging 44-7-4 with 3 1/2 tackles for a loss and half a sack. Was also used on offense, rushing twice for 11 yards and returned 8 kickoffs for 178yds (22.2yd average). Started 13 of 14 games in '11, recording 54-12-2 with a forced fumble, six tackles for a loss and a sack. Was arrested along with a teammate for obstructing a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest the moring after the Grizzlies recorded a 28-24 win over Northern Arizona on Oct. 22 in an alchohol-related incident in which he was tasered.

Positives:

Rare size-speed ratio. Looks every bit the part with extremely long arms to hem receivers at the line. Very good leaping ability, body control and ball skills - makes acrobatic plays in the air high-pointing the ball. Good coverage instincts and closing burst - jumps routes and shows awareness with his back to the ball. Carries a swagger and dominated Big Sky competition. Has the traits to move to free safety with a frame to easily stack on 10 pounds. Experienced four year starter with kickoff-return ability.

Negatives:

Has faced marginal competition and too often will play down to its level and coast on his athletic talent. Questionable work habits an makeup - did not work in the classroom, has been described as 'self-centered' and will require maintenance to keep him in line. Selective tackler and toughness - does not always bring it (although clearly will strike when he wants to). Slowed by injuries in his career. Clocked average 10-yard split at the combine (1.65 seconds).

Summary:

A long-limbed press corner with loose hips for his size. Johnson is extremely talented, can match-up well against big receivers and has the size, ball skills and striking ability to potentially help at safety. Would benefit highly from a structured environment and demanding coach who will challenge him and hold him accountable. Has the tools to become a #1 corner if he can be managed properly and stay focused.

NFL Projection: Top-50 pick (#33 overall prospect in draft per PFW list)

TJ sounds interesting. Can you get some video?