Nfl Discussed Eliminating Kickoffs - Per John Mara

JayOzOne

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-President-John-Mara-on-rule-changes/4251e760-3ad7-431b-bbc8-b37cd5226de9

All of the concussion lawsuits have the suits on edge. I would hate to see the kickoff eliminated from the game. What would they do, spin a wheel from a Milton Bradley game to determine where the team gets the ball? mellow.png

Mara can envision a day when a far more radical change is made and NFL games are played without kickoffs.

“We had a lot of discussions about whether we should eliminate it and if we did what we could do in its place,” he said. “There’s no consensus on it right now, but I could see the day in the future where that play could be taken out of the game.

“You see it evolving toward that. Nobody would go that far now, but we talk about different blocks that we can outlaw. The problem is that the concussions come from everywhere, from the wedge, from the crossing blocks where a guy goes from one side of the field to another, from a full speed collision between a return guy and a tackler. So there’s no one thing that you can do. It’s something that we’ll continue to watch as closely as possible.”

They are destroying football.

Between the James Harrisons of the world laying the wood the way they are, the league is running scared. I remember the days of George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, Mike Curtis, and **** Butkus doing the same thing with impunity. Not surprisingly, it's the guys from that generation that are now piling on with the class action lawsuits. The league knows that if it doesn't take the testosterone out of football, it'll have a new round of these lawsuits every year.

But yeah, they are taking all of what makes football fun out of the game.

**** Roger Goodell, if you want to make the game safer, dump loads of money into advanced anti-concussion helmets and shock-absorbing technology in the shoulder pads in helmets. When these players agree to play the game, they're ******* agreeing to shortening their lives, possibly horrifically injuring each other and running with full-force collisions into other players. If you can't accept that, then GTFO. This if football, if Rugby went around changing all the contact then it wouldn't be any fun.

**** Roger Goodell, if you want to make the game safer, dump loads of money into advanced anti-concussion helmets and shock-absorbing technology in the shoulder pads in helmets. When these players agree to play the game, they're ******* agreeing to shortening their lives, possibly horrifically injuring each other and running with full-force collisions into other players. If you can't accept that, then GTFO. This if football, if Rugby went around changing all the contact then it wouldn't be any fun.

Rugby hasn't changed because it isn't an American sport. To put all the blame for changes solely on the NFL/Roger Goodell is incredibly shortsighted. Blame the sue-happy American culture of the last 25 years, not the NFL. If everyone in this country wasn't running around looking for a reason to sue someone else, you wouldn't have ex-players trying to sue the league, thus you wouldn't have the league being pressured to make all these changes. The problem isn't the NFL, the problem is the current American psyche.

Rugby hasn't changed because it isn't an American sport. To put all the blame for changes solely on the NFL/Roger Goodell is incredibly shortsighted. Blame the sue-happy American culture of the last 25 years, not the NFL. If everyone in this country wasn't running around looking for a reason to sue someone else, you wouldn't have ex-players trying to sue the league, thus you wouldn't have the league being pressured to make all these changes. The problem isn't the NFL, the problem is the current American psyche.

Fcking great point. Everybodys pointing at Goddell this, Goddell that but dont realize we are all part of the problem. That includes the Sue-o-rama goin on and the rising poularity football gets .. partly because of the changes nobody seems to like, yet everyone keeps watching. Just my 2 cents

I would like to see some stats comparing the amount, or severity of concussions using this new K/O rule with the old one. The new rule has almost eliminated K/O's all together, heck it made Eric Weems expendable. The F/O decided there was no need for him w/o a legitimate k/o opportunity. So I'd like to see the old rule back especially if the number of concussions haven't been reduced so much to justify the fan's hatred of the new K/O rule

Between the James Harrisons of the world laying the wood the way they are, the league is running scared. I remember the days of George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, Mike Curtis, and **** Butkus doing the same thing with impunity. Not surprisingly, it's the guys from that generation that are now piling on with the class action lawsuits. The league knows that if it doesn't take the testosterone out of football, it'll have a new round of these lawsuits every year.

But yeah, they are taking all of what makes football fun out of the game.

thats wat happens when business overtakes the game itself... Sad how the game of football is being tainted because of all of this...

Soon enough.. the members of this board will be able to try out for the Falcons... I'm so good at two hand touch football. COME AT ME BRO

Maybe that's what they are hoping for so they don't have to pay the players as much and the owners can keep most all the money.

Edited by GAFALCONFAN

Fcking great point. Everybodys pointing at Goddell this, Goddell that but dont realize we are all part of the problem. That includes the Sue-o-rama goin on and the rising poularity football gets .. partly because of the changes nobody seems to like, yet everyone keeps watching. Just my 2 cents

you can blame goodell.. yea they american way of sports is the bigger picture.. but just causexeveryother sport buckle and bend when lawsuits are being thrown around they can make a stand... Al davis did it in a very similar fashon when he fought against the NFL instead of being allies or second to them...

Goodell needs to have the same mentality... Players kno wat there signing their names too.. they kno the risk so how is it the games fault? This game is wat it is and it isnt for everybody but goodell and the committie is trying to make this a sport everyone can play in... The integrity of this game has already been damaged with QB hits to the BS hitting rules....

Lawsuits or not, goodell shouldnt let business over run the game itself that the business thrives off of... Just my opinion

They are destroying football.

They are trying to be proactive about the concussions and such. They have a bunch of lawsuits pending. Lawsuits can ruin the NFL if they are not on top of things. Not to mention if the problem gets too big then the government could step in and shutdown the NFL because it is unsafe.