What Do You Think?

Falconsfan567

Here is my problem with the anti-Ryan club. I'm only going to say this one time. They act as if Matt Ryan has never completed a pass longer than 25-30 yards that traveled in the air. They act like Matt Ryan is perfectly incapable of throwing the ball 50 yards in the air and completing the pass. These thoughts are invalid. There is video evidence that prove that Matt Ryan has done these things. The problem is that he doesn't do it nearly enough as the elite class of QBs do.

But here's the real kicker here. They think because he doesn't do it on a consistent enough basis that he can never learn to do it on a more consistent basis. They say well because he hasn't learned to do it after 4 NFL seasons than it will never come because you can't get stronger and learn better footwork and learn the proper trajectory to put on passes so that those overthrows end up being completions. That's all a load of crap. You can do things to build up arm strength. You do realize that players that get hurt do training and exercises that are are required to build back up muscles and stuff. Well you can build up more muscle with the right workouts and training. The way you learn to get better at footwork and throwing the deep ball is by getting on the field and doing it over and over and over again. If you notice that most of the videos that people are able to post of Ryan overthrows are throws intended for Harry Douglas and Julio Jones 2 guys that he's not had nearly the amount of work with as he has Roddy White. That's not all Ryan's fault. Both Douglas and Jones have had injuries plus Julio had to deal with the lockout. You will notice Ryan almost never misses a deep throw to Roddy White and most times the throws are pretty **** good.

Now here is the real problem. The anti-Ryan group refuses to acknowledge these things even though everything I just said is a fact. But they want to call those of us that stick up for Ryan homers and Ryanettes even though we point out Matt's shortcomings and place blame on him when he deserves it but the anti-Ryan group refuse to give Ryan credit when he does do these things that they claim that he cannot do or that he has never done.

I have tried to avoid all these Matt Ryan threads over the past couple of weeks but I just felt that I need to post this even though it will get twisted and used against me somehow.

I posted this over in TATF but I decided that maybe I would post it over here and see what you guys think about my basis here. Is it that far off base from reality?

Guest Gritz

I'm one of these Falcon fans who is somewhat on the fence about Matt Ryan.....

Taking everything into account I can't really determine if the weaker aspects of his game: the deep ball first and (definitely to a lesser degree) his happy feet in a shaky or collapsing pocket are a result of flaws solely in Ryan's game or a design of the Falcon offense.....plus the less than stellar pass protection that Ryan gets from that line.

The thing that is ridiculous and utterly futile with the vehement anti-Ryan posters is that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility of an uptick in Ryan's game...

Even a casual fan of the NFL and it's history recognizes the story of QBs who took quite a few years to hone and perfect their skills.

I don't know if Ryan will take that next step or not.

I do know that the refusal to acknowledge the possibility that Ryan can is short-sighted and stupid.

Most of those posters are simply there to anger and rile those who don't share their skewed viewpoints.

I avoid them. It's like arguing with a brick......and I'm not even trying to convince them of having a particular stance on Ryan. On those rare occasions when I have engaged them I have simply tried to open their eyes to the possibilities of Ryan's improvement.

I'm one of these Falcon fans who is somewhat on the fence about Matt Ryan.....

Taking everything into account I can't really determine if the weaker aspects of his game: the deep ball first and (definitely to a lesser degree) his happy feet in a shaky or collapsing pocket are a result of flaws solely in Ryan's game or a design of the Falcon offense.....plus the less than stellar pass protection that Ryan gets from that line.

The thing that is ridiculous and utterly futile with the vehement anti-Ryan posters is that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility of an uptick in Ryan's game...

Even a casual fan of the NFL and it's history recognizes the story of QBs who took quite a few years to hone and perfect their skills.

I don't know if Ryan will take that next step or not.

I do know that the refusal to acknowledge the possibility that Ryan can is short-sighted and stupid.

Most of those posters are simply there to anger and rile those who don't share their skewed viewpoints.

I avoid them. It's like arguing with a brick......and I'm not even trying to convince them of having a particular stance on Ryan. On those rare occasions when I have engaged them I have simply tried to open their eyes to the possibilities of Ryan's improvement.

I couldn't agree more Gritz.

Matt Ryan didn't have "happy feet" in 2008. He stood in the pocket and kept his eyes down the field and kept his base underneath him and then at the very last second if he had to would escape the pocket and pick up yards with his feet. That was a constant in 2008.

Since then we've only seen flashes of that.

Guest Gritz

I couldn't agree more Gritz.

Matt Ryan didn't have "happy feet" in 2008. He stood in the pocket and kept his eyes down the field and kept his base underneath him and then at the very last second if he had to would escape the pocket and pick up yards with his feet. That was a constant in 2008.

Since then we've only seen flashes of that.

Yeah, Ryan had a fearlessness as a rookie that has started to get away from him.

Personally I believe that the constant drumbeat from Smitty and Mularkey (directed at Ryan) about not turning the ball over combined with the playbook being so predictable and close to the line of scrimmage (short curls, square-outs, off tackle runs...etc.) has stunted Ryan as a QB.

The more I read about Koetter the more I think he might be able to get that '08 Ryan (and possibly better) back.

Yeah, Ryan had a fearlessness as a rookie that has started to get away from him.

Personally I believe that the constant drumbeat from Smitty and Mularkey (directed at Ryan) about not turning the ball over combined with the playbook being so predictable and close to the line of scrimmage (short curls, square-outs, off tackle runs...etc.) has stunted Ryan as a QB.

The more I read about Koetter the more I think he might be able to get that '08 Ryan (and possibly better) back.

They drilled it into Ryan over and over again not to risk turning the ball over because the defense wasn't that good and the defense couldn't be expected to bail out the offense on a short field. As a result Ryan stopped taking chances.

I like what Koetter's offense is sounding like. It's sounding a lot like Dan Reeves offense which I loved. Pound the rock between the tackles and mix in some screens and then expose the defense over the top on the play-action passing game. Ryan's one of the best play-action QBs in the NFL. He does a great job of hiding the ball and really selling the run.

Guest Gritz

They drilled it into Ryan over and over again not to risk turning the ball over because the defense wasn't that good and the defense couldn't be expected to bail out the offense on a short field. As a result Ryan stopped taking chances.

I like what Koetter's offense is sounding like. It's sounding a lot like Dan Reeves offense which I loved. Pound the rock between the tackles and mix in some screens and then expose the defense over the top on the play-action passing game. Ryan's one of the best play-action QBs in the NFL. He does a great job of hiding the ball and really selling the run.

I didn't like the hiring of Koetter at all when it first happened....but that was because all I knew about him was that he was the OC for the worst offense in the league.

Once I calmed down and did my homework I started to come around to the idea that this guy might be very good for us.

One thing I asked myself during the 2011 season was why hasn't Ryan progressed? What caused him to take perhaps a step back from the 2010 season.

One theme kept getting in my head- he got married. His priorities got more complex and he perhaps became less of a gym rat. It is just a theory but I have seen it change men over the years- why not Ryan. Maybe he practiced a bit less, less time in the film room like before the 2010 season. One other caveat was he nursed an injury after the 2010 season into the new calendar year that may have thrown his time table off.

Just curious to see what he does in the coming months that maybe he got rededicated...

First of all, they are just words. Believe me when I say that anyone talking poorly about Matt Ryan is not impugning your dignity or taking your lunch money away. They are expressing their opinions and in some cases, their expression is worded solely to raise your blood pressure and drive you over a cliff. If you find yourself getting blurred vision and headaches from the stoopidity of these posters, ignore them. They get their jollies by reading stuff like this thread because they know that they are spazzing you out.

Second, I'm fine with Ryan as a fifth year QB because he played well last year despite a pocket that was incredibly unreliable. I had to work the first Sunday of the season and I rushed home to watch the Bears debacle. I think dude got happy feet eventually because he wanted to trust that line and it was foolhardy to do so. I'd love to see him with a line that allowed him to check and adjust to complete more deep routes.

Third, I want to see him use more targets. Harry has to be a target. I'm not sure if it was Harry, Ryan, or Mularkey that didn't use him to our advantage last season, but Ryan's deep balls to Roddy and Julio will have much more of a chance if Harry can get some strikes across the middle. I'm sincerely hoping the OC can correct all of these points.

I view it this way.

If we do not like or want Matt Ryan as a Falcon, then there are a whole bunch of

teams that would love to have him playing for them.

That's been my point to a lot of complainers: If we fire TD or Smitty, or cut/trade Ryan, it'll take waaaayyyy more time to find a capable replacement (let alone an improvement) than it will for some other team to reclaim them. Smitty and TD would each be the most desirable coaches on the market before they left Flowery Branch. And Ryan has already set the standard for Falcons QBs in four years.

First of all, they are just words. Believe me when I say that anyone talking poorly about Matt Ryan is not impugning your dignity or taking your lunch money away. They are expressing their opinions and in some cases, their expression is worded solely to raise your blood pressure and drive you over a cliff. If you find yourself getting blurred vision and headaches from the stoopidity of these posters, ignore them. They get their jollies by reading stuff like this thread because they know that they are spazzing you out.

Second, I'm fine with Ryan as a fifth year QB because he played well last year despite a pocket that was incredibly unreliable. I had to work the first Sunday of the season and I rushed home to watch the Bears debacle. I think dude got happy feet eventually because he wanted to trust that line and it was foolhardy to do so. I'd love to see him with a line that allowed him to check and adjust to complete more deep routes.

Third, I want to see him use more targets. Harry has to be a target. I'm not sure if it was Harry, Ryan, or Mularkey that didn't use him to our advantage last season, but Ryan's deep balls to Roddy and Julio will have much more of a chance if Harry can get some strikes across the middle. I'm sincerely hoping the OC can correct all of these points.

Who said I was upset? Why would I let those morons get under my skin? I don't. I learned a while back that you can't have real football discussion with them because they twist things to fit their point of view even when you post facts that dispute their point of view.

Well I think Matt will flourish now being out of MM system. I have faith in the guy because I have seen good things from him. This past season the o-line let him down at times and with Turner not being as productive down the strecth this past season teams put pressure on him hence creating those happy feet moments and checkdowns. I sure hope Koetter will unleash him to we can see that elite potential he has.

I'm not hater. Ryan is now in the "Prove it to Me" stage. No longer in the benefit of the doubt area. Regarding his completion ability on deeper routes, my view is it is more of a hand-eye coordination issue. What your eyes see, your brain calculates and fires your muscles. Some QB's are just better. He has missed more of those chances than he has made. It NEEDS to be the other way around.

Can he improve? Sure, for all the reasons you stated. Has he? No, not yet. This isn't new and has been a ? since he was drafted. So either he has been working on it and hasn't improved or has ignored it, refused to get better in that area and not work on it. Maybe MM just didn't give him enough opportunities, we will see.

Ok Gritz. I've finally give. It's just an absolute waste of time to try to talk to Muskokas, #1 and Swifty about Ryan because no matter what facts you post to support Ryan they twist them around to fit their agenda. It's disguisting.

Come on dude. People keep using the word agenda. What could I possibly hope to accomplish by admitting that I think the team has over-estimated the ability of their core player. It's a lose - lose proposition. Matt does great, I look like an idiot. He doesn't progress, it hurts my team.

I don't talk about this so much as a means to put other fans through angst. I have honest and quantifiable concerns that the direction of the team does not optimize the talent available, so much as it protects the jobs of the coach and GM. You can see a similar approach in the players Dimitroff drafts - low risk, high floor, low ceiling. I might be wrong on that, I'm no NFL scout or talent evaluator. I just find it frustrating that we can see the apple up in the tree. It's 8 feet above our reach and we keeping bringing out a 7 foot ladder.

Come on dude. People keep using the word agenda. What could I possibly hope to accomplish by admitting that I think the team has over-estimated the ability of their core player. It's a lose - lose proposition. Matt does great, I look like an idiot. He doesn't progress, it hurts my team.

I don't talk about this so much as a means to put other fans through angst. I have honest and quantifiable concerns that the direction of the team does not optimize the talent available, so much as it protects the jobs of the coach and GM. You can see a similar approach in the players Dimitroff drafts - low risk, high floor, low ceiling. I might be wrong on that, I'm no NFL scout or talent evaluator. I just find it frustrating that we can see the apple up in the tree. It's 8 feet above our reach and we keeping bringing out a 7 foot ladder.

I agree that we haven't gotten the most out the talent we have or that's available. My problem is that according to a few select posters Matt Ryan is the sole reason the Falcons haven't won a playoff game. When people say things like well if we had Aaron Rodgers we would have already have been in the Super Bowl and I really think that's a joke to make a statement such as that. I think it's a huge joke that people say because Matt Ryan and the Falcons team has played horrible in the playoffs that it's never going to get better. It's only been 4 years!

I hate being told that it's unrealistic to think Matt Ryan will ever get better in playoff games. That thread about Matt Ryan's jersey number. Really? I know you didn't create it but that's the kind of bull that is just downright stupid. "Matt Ryan sucks because of his jersey number." Really?

I agree that we haven't gotten the most out the talent we have or that's available. My problem is that according to a few select posters Matt Ryan is the sole reason the Falcons haven't won a playoff game. When people say things like well if we had Aaron Rodgers we would have already have been in the Super Bowl and I really think that's a joke to make a statement such as that. I think it's a huge joke that people say because Matt Ryan and the Falcons team has played horrible in the playoffs that it's never going to get better. It's only been 4 years!

I hate being told that it's unrealistic to think Matt Ryan will ever get better in playoff games. That thread about Matt Ryan's jersey number. Really? I know you didn't create it but that's the kind of bull that is just downright stupid. "Matt Ryan sucks because of his jersey number." Really?

You know perfectly well it's not all on Matt Ryan. Instead of thinking about what if with Aaron Rodgers, think what if Matt Ryan had been the QB in SF. Maybe the Giants don't take the SB. Admittedly the subject matter is weak on TATF, but there are no free agents or high draft picks to talk about so of course the QB will get lots of chatter.

TD is probably aware of the downside of this approach. The alternative is perhaps a

disruptive, ego centered clubhouse with potential suspended players. I think it's the core of his philosophy- that and add a couple of non felonious high ceiling guys to the mix and you have the Pat's

TD is probably aware of the downside of this approach. The alternative is perhaps a

disruptive, ego centered clubhouse with potential suspended players. I think it's the core of his philosophy- that and add a couple of non felonious high ceiling guys to the mix and you have the Pat's

Easier for the Pats to do, possessing so many premium picks. We have 1 this year and one (Julio) from last year. Lacking a consistent infusion of draft (and this year free agent) talent, the team might have to take bigger risks. On and off the field.

Easier for the Pats to do, possessing so many premium picks. We have 1 this year and one (Julio) from last year. Lacking a consistent infusion of draft (and this year free agent) talent, the team might have to take bigger risks. On and off the field.

But the Patriots have drafted a ton of players over the past few years and very few of them have done anything on the football field.

But the Patriots have drafted a ton of players over the past few years and very few of them have done anything on the football field.

True, their drafting record since Pioli left has been plain bad, but with so many picks from shrewd trades down, NE can take a chance on a guy with a bad back (Gronkowski) and still afford to throw another pick (Hernandez) at the same position. Even the blind wino bumps into the dumpster now and again