Ranking Qb's Taken In The 1St Round In The Last 10 Years

BigstickMoe

I probably would switch Rodgers and Ben. Put Ryan at 5, Stafford at 6 and Newton at 7. I think Harrington should be last lol. Was Russell really worse than him?

http://www.nfl.com/n...ound-the-league

Is Big Ben the best QB drafted in the last 10 years?
  • By Marc Sessler NFL.com
  • Writer
  • Published: April 13, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.
  • Updated: April 13, 2012 at 11:32 a.m.

• Twenty-seven quarterbacks have been selected in the first round of draft over the past 10 years.
    Around the League ranked them from top to bottom. The core criteria is a mix of career achievement and future potential (for instance, Cam Newton at No. 5? You bet, based on what we've seen, and what we expect to see).
    Rosenthal and I engaged in a furious two-minute debate over IM, shifting some guys around, generating some consensus, disagreeing in other areas. We thought we'd throw it your way.
    You're an NFL general manager. Who do you want leading your team? Here's our list:
    1. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (No. 11, 2004)
    2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (No. 24, 2005)
    3. Eli Manning, Chargers (traded to Giants) (No. 1, 2004)
    4. Philip Rivers, Giants (traded to Chargers) (No. 4, 2004)
    5. Cam Newton, Panthers (No. 1, 2011)
    6. Matt Ryan, Falcons (No. 3, 2008)
    7. Matthew Stafford, Lions (No. 1, 2009)
    8. Jay Cutler, Broncos (No. 11, 2006)
    9. Carson Palmer, Bengals (No. 1, 2003)
    10. Sam Bradford, Rams (No. 1, 2010)
    11. Joe Flacco, Ravens (No. 18, 2008)
    12. Mark Sanchez, Jets (No. 5, 2009)
    13. Alex Smith, 49ers (No. 1, 2005)
    14. Josh Freeman, Buccaneers (No. 17, 2009)
    15. Jason Campbell, Redskins (No. 25, 2005)
    16. Vince Young, Titans (No. 3, 2006)
    17. Tim Tebow, Broncos (No. 25, 2010)
    18. Rex Grossman, Bears (No. 22, 2003)
    19. David Carr, Texans (No. 1, 2002)
    20. Byron Leftwich, Jaguars (No. 7, 2003)
    21. Matt Leinart, Cardinals (No. 10, 2006)
    22. Kyle Boller, Ravens (No. 19, 2003)
    23. Brady Quinn, Browns (No. 22, 2007)
    24. Joey Harrington, Lions (No. 3, 2002)
    25. Patrick Ramsey, Redskins (No. 32, 2002)
    26. J.P. Losman, Bills (No. 22, 2004)
    27. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders (No. 1, 2007)
    Tell us what you think.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan really shouldn't be ahead of Stafford honestly, but he has been more consistent so they gave him the nod. I can't really say Ryan is a problem until I see him able to stand in the pocket for 3-4 seconds on most plays. Our offensive line has been a problem since we drafted Vick honestly. Not his fault, just happens to be when we stopped getting good linemen in the draft.

Ryan really shouldn't be ahead of Stafford honestly, but he has been more consistent so they gave him the nod. I can't really say Ryan is a problem until I see him able to stand in the pocket for 3-4 seconds on most plays. Our offensive line has been a problem since we drafted Vick honestly. Not his fault, just happens to be when we stopped getting good linemen in the draft.

It doesn't matter if you can put up one 5000 yard season in your career. If you're not healthy the rest of the time, you wont be considered the best.

I'm going to laugh when Newton has a statistically terrible year this season. All I am reminded of from his hype is approximately this time last year when writers and commentators were certain that Josh Freeman had overtaken Ryan as second best QB in the division.

Teams have had a year to figure Cam out and Smith and Olsen aren't getting any younger. His sophomore slump is going to be epic.

Guest Fibonacci

I agree. the only thing is Cam newton should not be really on the list...well the list should have said 2-10 years ago. just cause I guy playing one season does not say that much. a lot of guys come out looking like the best thing, and then after that season they fall and look like crap. and if you watched newton on how he finished out the season and how teams started to stop them like the falcons did; well you can bet it will happen a lot more next year.

so in a way a year is not long enough for me to say that someone is good. and also the way he started to fall tells me something as well.

not saying Newton is turd or anything like that. cause he did set the bar very high for himself. but lets see what happens this season.

Cam was a perfect storm of no offseason and an OC just letting him loose. No one had a clue what to expect with him, and no film besides the college option stuff to gameplan for. He'll be a good QB, but he will have his comeuppance. As prolific as he was when it came to winning in the clutch, he was a miserable failure. I think teams weren't prepared for him at all. They will be next season.

Cam was a perfect storm of no offseason and an OC just letting him loose. No one had a clue what to expect with him, and no film besides the college option stuff to gameplan for. He'll be a good QB, but he will have his comeuppance. As prolific as he was when it came to winning in the clutch, he was a miserable failure. I think teams weren't prepared for him at all. They will be next season.

So now with an entire off season of coaching, Cam can't improve his passing game because defenses can gameplan for him, yet you think Matt Ryan, with 4 years of film in the can is gonna get much better under a new coach. That's logical.

Cam Newton doesn't belong on this list, let alone at number 5 (above Ryan); He hasn't done anything.

how bout we play a ryanette game here. If he hd flaccos defense he would have made the playoffs. What rank was carolinas offense last year? Top 5 or near that. Ryans offense? Not as good despite better weapons and 3 more years in the league.

how bout we play a ryanette game here. If he hd flaccos defense he would have made the playoffs. What rank was carolinas offense last year? Top 5 or near that. Ryans offense? Not as good despite better weapons and 3 more years in the league.

If Newton had Flacco's defense he would've made the playoffs, but If Ryan had Baltimore's defense Matt would've won the Super Bowl.

What kind of a game is this? You're making it too easy... The fact is, even statistically, Cam Newton did not quarterback the Panthers more efficiently than Ryan did of the Falcons.

If Newton had Flacco's defense he would've made the playoffs, but If Ryan had Baltimore's defense Matt would've won the Super Bowl.

What kind of a game is this? You're making it too easy... The fact is, even statistically, Cam Newton did not quarterback the Panthers more efficiently than Ryan did of the Falcons.

effiCiently? Lol he had less to work with yet scored more against an identical schedule. Lets get real here son. Ryan cant hold cams jockstrap.

I hate this board's formatting.

4 franchise QBs (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning, Rivers)

7 with the potential to be (Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Newton, Bradford, Freeman)

And one who was but got his knee destroyed (Palmer)

The rest are all backup caliber at best. And of the good 12, 5 were #1 overall (i.e. above Ryan)

We didn't do too badly it appears.

Edited by FalcoChicquera

effiCiently? Lol he had less to work with yet scored more against an identical schedule. Lets get real here son. Ryan cant hold cams jockstrap.

More to work with? You cannot be this dense...

Cam had two Pro-Bowl calibur runningbacks, a star WR and TE in Steve Smith and Jeremy Shockey. Matt SWEPT the Carolina Panthers, outscored Newton on his own field and LED his team to the playoffs. Matt had a higher td/int ration, and quarterback rating. I know watching Carolina blows your load, but Ryan is the more polished and efficient quarterback.