Pfw Audibles - What The Scouts Are Saying....defensive Tackle

g-dawg

PFW Audibles: Defensive Tackles

• "I was disappointed with (Connecticuts DT) Kendall Reye's run support and finish. I know some (evaluators) are running him up the flagpole, but I kept looking for more - I did anyway. I put him in the third (round).
  • I know some teams have (Brigham Young's) Loni Fangupo in the third (round). He had some good games early and then disappeared. I don't know if it was because he was getting doubled so much. He got hurt against Oregon State and never returned.
  • "(Michigan State's) Jerel Worthy is one of those guys like Albert Haynesworth. He might run 5-flat and he's athletic. Physically, he has everything you want. He won't get out of the first(round) - but there is some buyer beware (with him)."
  • "(Clemson's) Brandon Thompson had his ankle scoped after the season, but he still played at the Senior Bowl. There is something to be said for that."
  • "Penn State's) Devon Still is a pretender. He is a project to me. He plays high. He gets knocked around. He has some initial quickness, but he's not an explosive, tough finisher. Someone is going to get their feelings hurt drafting him in the first round. I don't know how you play with guys that get hammered inside. I know we can't."

I don't really disagree with anything here. Brandon Thompson is a guy I've liked a lot of. I think he's going to go higher than most expect. Kendall Reyes offers a lot of versatility and is very athletic. I can see why he's being talked up.

I'm surprised there is no mention of Cox, Brockers, or Poe.

Exploder, I'm 'self-editing' out most of the 1st round picks- except Melvin Ingram - since Falcons worked him out.

These are just random quotes by scouts on random players.

Knight, I want some of your knowledge on the following....

In the defenses that Nolan has put on the field in the past, what type of DTs does he employ when he switches to or just flat out plays in the 3-4 alignment?

Does he like the big body Wilforks-Grady Jacksons or does he lean towards the more svelte gap penetrators?

Thanks brother.

Good question. Truth is actually kinda twisted. He use to would just employ ANY good penetrating DT.

True story he was with the Ravens between 2001 and 2004, but was DC between 2002 and 2004. Remember Tony Siragusa was there until 2001 and Ray Lewis began to complain around 2002 that as a speed oriented MLB he needed bodies up front for when the defense chaged over to 3-4 and even in the 4-3 and that he didn't like the new angle the NFL was taking with more speed up front. Kelly Gregg just wasn't THAT space eater.

Nolan, Rex Ryan, and Singletary all agreed and so Aubrayo Franklin was drafted and then Dwan Edwards (300lbs and a bust) the following year. Since then just follow Nolan's teams. 49ers, Den, and Miami have all had some big guys. He learned from what Ray, Rex, and Singletary all came to him with. Staying old school and making certain the MLB has room to play his position and not be a 3rd DT or a UT in the 3-4.

*Notice some things about MLB on each team SINCE his time with the Ravens.

He likes speed over power.

Coverage (Lewis was considered a good coverage MLB...wasn't always a 260lb guy)

Constant lateral movement and early committment.

*DT's since the Ravens

Big space eaters

Mid sized space eaters

Opportunistic penetration

*Safety since the Ravens

Smart

Stiff hitting

Eye for the ball, but not necessarily INT's all the time.

Has been credited by Ray Lewis for changing his game. Developing Ed Reed. Creating a whole reputation for scary pass rush. Gave Nolan (not Rex Ryan) credit for introducing the 46 as a package. Because of this Ray Lewis calls the Hybrid they used, Nolan's Hybrid because it uses elements of the 3-4 and 46 (not the 4-3, but this is used in the media to escape confusion).

@KOG/g-dawg

I want to know if BT is worth trading up for...if need be?

I mean can he be an immediate force?

Falcons just are not in position to trade up this year. I would like to have him but would not trade up for him - Knight is probably right that he will be gone.

If we go DT in the 2nd, then Mike Martin would be a good option.

That would be a best of a move and far better than Devon Still with what we need. We don't need a penetrator so much as we need a guy who can eat blocks. Martin can do BOTH. He's got some insane measureables, reminds me of Suh in many ways.

F Cox

B Thompson

?? M Wade ?? Anyone found dome info on this guy?

A TaAmu

i'm not buying into the "Wade Hype" on just a workout - don't know anything about his playing ability and seems hard to find out much about him.......he may be a player, but who the H knows? PFW has 60 D-tackles rated and he is not even one of them.

I'm not saying he won't be a player, but how can any of us know? I suppose since there were NFL scouts at his workout says something but who knows how many? D-Tackles don't play on special teams so they have to be pretty dayum good to make a team.

i'm not buying into the "Wade Hype" on just a workout - don't know anything about his playing ability and seems hard to find out much about him.......he may be a player, but who the H knows? PFW has 60 D-tackles rated and he is not even one of them.

I'm not saying he won't be a player, but how can any of us know? I suppose since there were NFL scouts at his workout says something but who knows how many? D-Tackles don't play on special teams so they have to be pretty dayum good to make a team.

I'd take him and would not complain, but there are way more guys out there who need to be examined.

I'd take him and would not complain, but there are way more guys out there who need to be examined.

if we take him w/ the 7th round comp pick - but take a higher rated DT earlier in the draft - it would not be the end of the world - but guys like this should be taken very, very, very late.