Dt Brandon Thompson-Clemson "happy With Falcons Workout" - Ajc

g-dawg

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/04/11/thompson-happy-with-his-work-out-for-falcons/

Thompson Happy with Workout for Falcons

by D. Orlando Ledbetter - AJC

April 11, 2012

4thQuarter098_t607.jpg

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, head coach Mike Smith and defensive line coach Ray Hamilton were apart of the group that went to Clemson to work out defensive tackle Brandon Thompson and defensive end Andre Branch on Tuesday.

Both are projected to go in the top 50 picks of the NFL draft on April 26-28 in New York, but could slide a little if there’s a run at another position.

Thompson, of Thomasville, felt good about his showing.

“The work out went real good,” Thompson said via phone on Wednesday. “It went on for a little over an hour. I did everything I needed to do to impress them. Overall, it was a good performance.”One of the Falcons strength coaches, likely Jeff Fish, led the work out.

“We mainly did agility drills to see what type of lateral movement I had and how light I was on my feet,” Thompson said.

He believes he can play any position along the line in the NFL, but most draft analysts have him projected at nose tackle. “I will do whatever it takes to win,” Thompson said. “I feel comfortable playing zero out to five [technique]. Where ever they want me at, I’ll be happy to play it and I’ll dominate playing it.”

Thompson had 22.5 tackles for losses and 4.5 sacks over his career. He started 38 of 53 games he played for the Tigers.

He knows that the draft process is in its final stage. “It’s just been a lot of training and meeting with different people,” Thompson said. “I’m just trying to network and get my name out there.”

Last season, Clemson defensive end DaQuan Bowers went to Tampa Bay in the second round after concerns about his knee.

“I’m proud of the production that we’ve had these last three or four years in the draft,” Thompson said. “We have just been working hard. We knew what kind of goals we wanted to set for ourselves. We knew we wanted to put ourselves in good situations when it comes to draft time. I feel like everyone that has left our [defensive] line, so far, has done that.”

At the end of the work out, Thompson received some good feedback from the Falcons.

“I feel like they were really happy with me and the way that I moved for my size,” Thompson said. “I’m weighing 320 now and I was moving good. So, I feel like I put on a good performance for them and they went away impressed.”

Guest Fibonacci

I am not a fan of either one of these guys.

Branch seems to get stuffed to much.

Edited by Fibonacci

"03/13/12 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP DOWN DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson, 6-2, 314, 1-2...Thompson was a classroom and weight-room fanatic since high school, which earned him Academic Honor Roll recognition in 2010 and the weight-lifting statistics of a tractor -- 450-pound single bench press, 36 reps with 225 pounds (34 at the combine), 615-pound squat lift and 370-pound power clean. On the field that translates to somebody smart enough to know what to do and strong enough to get it done. He explodes off the line with tremendous force and uses his wicked strong hands to gain an advantage. This helps him as a dangerous bull rusher, but he is not really a pass-rush threat. Nicknamed "Yams" in recognition of the huge thighs that help him clog the middle of Clemson's defense, Thompson is an immovable object willing and able to crush anything that tries to get past him. His college statistics may not be relevant because offenses tried to stay out of his way, even if it took two men to do so. Thompson may be NFL ready right now, but he is already maximizing his physical ability and may have marginal upside. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange"

Get him!!!

I want him......

I don't mean to be picky, but the Georgia Tech highlights isn't the best in my opinion. Their O-line is too unorthodox to get a good gauge on D-line players. I prefer the Virginia Tech highlights:

He comes off purely as a 3-4 NT. He consistently needs multiple blockers and plays well against the run but he doesn't offer that much in terms of pass rush.

I don't mean to be picky, but the Georgia Tech highlights isn't the best in my opinion. Their O-line is too unorthodox to get a good gauge on D-line players. I prefer the Virginia Tech highlights:

He comes off purely as a 3-4 NT. He consistently needs multiple blockers and plays well against the run but he doesn't offer that much in terms of pass rush.

Well, if we want to be able to alternate between a 4-3 and a 3-4 having somebody like this wouldn't hurt.

Agreed his best attributes to me in those highlights were at the 1.19 and 3.00 min marks where he shed multiple blockers while applying pressure and stopping the run.

He also seems to be a high character guy and to be honst right now for a NT I'm finding it hard to seperate him and Chapman as to which one I like the best.

In both the VT and GT highlights I see a guy that "brings it" on every play. He consistently pushes the guard back into the backfield on running plays, can occupy two blockers on running and passing plays - and who can get pressure in the passing game. Brandon Thompson is not going to get a lot of sacks - but Falcons don't need him to get a lot of sacks - they just need him to collapse the pocket and get push in the pass rush - he can do that - nobody on Falcons defensive roster at the tackle position is getting any push right now in pass rush - Thompson I believe can do that.

Brandon Thompson looks to me like a player that could positively impact the Falcons defense. I hope we get him - he looks like one of those rare D-Tackles that consistently shows a high motor - sounds like he is a high character guy as well.

"03/13/12 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP DOWN DEFENSIVE LINEMEN: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson, 6-2, 314, 1-2...Thompson was a classroom and weight-room fanatic since high school, which earned him Academic Honor Roll recognition in 2010 and the weight-lifting statistics of a tractor -- 450-pound single bench press, 36 reps with 225 pounds (34 at the combine), 615-pound squat lift and 370-pound power clean. On the field that translates to somebody smart enough to know what to do and strong enough to get it done. He explodes off the line with tremendous force and uses his wicked strong hands to gain an advantage. This helps him as a dangerous bull rusher, but he is not really a pass-rush threat. Nicknamed "Yams" in recognition of the huge thighs that help him clog the middle of Clemson's defense, Thompson is an immovable object willing and able to crush anything that tries to get past him. His college statistics may not be relevant because offenses tried to stay out of his way, even if it took two men to do so. Thompson may be NFL ready right now, but he is already maximizing his physical ability and may have marginal upside. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange"

Get him!!!

If he has good footwork and nimble feet and movement to go along with that, I really hope that he will be our pick!

In both the VT and GT highlights I see a guy that "brings it" on every play. He consistently pushes the guard back into the backfield on running plays, can occupy two blockers on running and passing plays - and who can get pressure in the passing game. Brandon Thompson is not going to get a lot of sacks - but Falcons don't need him to get a lot of sacks - they just need him to collapse the pocket and get push in the pass rush - he can do that - nobody on Falcons defensive roster at the tackle position is getting any push right now in pass rush - Thompson I believe can do that.

Brandon Thompson looks to me like a player that could positively impact the Falcons defense. I hope we get him - he looks like one of those rare D-Tackles that consistently shows a high motor - sounds like he is a high character guy as well.

I want him as well, but will he be there realistically. Seems to have the potential for instant impact, so would we have to move up or stay put at #55?

I'm still high on Osemele? but would love to get this guy if he's still there...Falcons need to go BPA on either line IMHO.

I definitely wouldn't mind us picking Thompson..

The fact that we have been looking at both Thompson and Chapman tells me that we are looking for a big 0/1-technique type defensive tackle that can play a couple of positions in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.. I feel pretty comfortable about that.

Since we will be running a lot more of 4-3 under concepts (if what I'm hearing is true), in which the under tackle is supposed to be isolated on the Guard and beat him to make a play in the backfield, the fact that we have been looking at both Thompson and Chapman also tells me that our coaches feel comfortable with the pass rushing ability of the DTs that are already on our roster (Babs, Jerry, Peters and Walker).. I'm not so sure I feel very comfortable with that! I like Peters and Walker as all round DTs, but we need some pass rush from the inside and I don't have faith in Jerry to stay healthy, and Babs had a down year. Hopefully both will bounce back, but I feel like it is somewhat of a gamle. Maybe Nolan can work some magic.

We might even do what G-dawg projected in one of his mocks, and take two DTs in this draft.. But that would probably mean we need to give up on Jerry, and that we start looking at some of this draft's interior pass-rushers pretty soon - at this point nothing points to that.

just my 2 cents.

Edited by niels petersen