Grade My 2012 Atlanta Falcons Imd

jfalconsp

Most of you know we do an IMD over in the Draft & Free Agency Forum every year (for those who are tired of seeing IMD topics, you'll be happy to know we are pretty much done). I had the Atlanta Falcons this go around, so I wanted to see what some of you thought of the overall look.

A couple of things to note. Every team gets a certain amount of money to spend for FA (20 mil, 25 mil, or 30 mil depending on available cap space at the time) and when trading away/for players you do not gain or lose cap space. With that said.

Atlanta Falcons- $25 million in cap space

-Roddy White traded to the San Francisco 49ers with a 6th round pick for their 1st and 3rd round picks

-Falcons trade 3rd round pick from 49ers, 5th round pick, and Darrin Walls to Colts for Dwight Freeney

-Falcons trade their 1st round pick & Dunta Robinson to the Eagles for Asante Samuel & their 2nd round pick

Draft Picks:

2 (46): Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

2 (55): Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (Ohio)

3 (85): Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

7 (213): Phillip Thomas, S, Syracuse

FA Won:

Vance Walker, DT

Curtis Lofton, LB

Todd McClure, OC

Joe Zelenka, LS

Antoine Smith, RB

Chris Redman, QB

Michael Palmer, TE

Harry Douglas, WR

Brent Grimes, CB

John Abraham, DE

Richard Marshall, CB

Marques Colston, WR

Thomas Decoud, FS

Jared Gaither, OT

Depth Chart:

QB: Matt Ryan, Chris Redman, John Parker Wilson

RB: Michael Turner, Jacquizz Rodgers, Antoine Smith, Dimitri Nance

FB: Ovie Mughelli, Mike Cox

WR: Julio Jones, Marques Colston, Harry Douglas, Kerry Meier, Kevin Cone

TE: Tony Gonzalez, Michael Egnew,Michael Palmer

OT:Jared Gaither,Tyson Clabo, Will Svitek, Sam Baker, Garrett Reynolds

OG: Justin Blalock, Brandon Brooks, Mike Johnson, Andrew Jackson

C: Todd McClure, Joe Hawley

DE: Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Ray Edwards, Lawrence Sidbury, Cliff Matthews

DT: Jonathan Babineaux, Corey Peters,Jerel Worthy, Vance Walker, Peria Jerry

LB: Sean Weatherspoon, Curtis Lofton, Stephen Nicholas, Akeem Dent, Spencer Adkins

CB: Brent Grimes, Asante Samuel, Richard Marshall, Chris Owens, Dominique Franks

FS: Thomas Decoud, Phillip Thomas

SS: William Moore, Shann Schillinger

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS:Joe Zelenka

Edited by jfalconsp

Most of you know we do an IMD over in the Draft & Free Agency Forum every year (for those who are tired of seeing IMD topics, you'll be happy to know we are pretty much done). I had the Atlanta Falcons this go around, so I wanted to see what some of you thought of the overall look.

A couple of things to note. Every team gets a certain amount of money to spend for FA (20 mil, 25 mil, or 30 mil depending on available cap space at the time) and when trading away/for players you do not gain or lose cap space. With that said.

Atlanta Falcons- $25 million in cap space

-Roddy White traded to the San Francisco 49ers with a 6th round pick for their

1st and 3rd round picks

-Falcons trade 3rd round pick from 49ers, 5th round pick, and Darrin Walls to Colts for

Dwight Freeney

-Falcons trade their 1st round pick & Dunta Robinson to the Eagles for

Asante Samuel & their 2nd round pick

Draft Picks:

2 (46):

Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

2 (55): Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (Ohio)

3 (85): Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri

7 (213): Phillip Thomas, S, Syracuse

FA Won:

Vance Walker, DT

Curtis Lofton, LB

Todd McClure, OC

Joe Zelenka, LS

Antoine Smith, RB

Chris Redman, QB

Michael Palmer, TE

Harry Douglas, WR

Brent Grimes, CB

John Abraham, DE

Richard Marshall, CB

Marques Colston, WR

Thomas Decoud, FS

Jared Gaither, OT

Depth Chart:

QB: Matt Ryan,

Chris Redman,

John Parker Wilson

RB: Michael Turner, Jacquizz Rodgers,

Antoine Smith,

Dimitri Nance

FB: Ovie Mughelli, Mike Cox

WR: Julio Jones,

Marques Colston, Harry Douglas,

Kerry Meier, Kevin Cone

TE: Tony Gonzalez,

Michael Egnew,Michael Palmer

OT:

Jared Gaither,

Tyson Clabo, Will Svitek, Sam Baker, Garrett Reynolds

OG: Justin Blalock,

Brandon Brooks,

Mike Johnson, Andrew Jackson

C:

Todd McClure,

Joe Hawley

DE:

Dwight Freeney

John Abraham,

Ray Edwards, Lawrence Sidbury, Cliff Matthews

DT: Jonathan Babineaux, Corey Peters,

Jerel Worthy, Vance Walker,

Peria Jerry

LB: Sean Weatherspoon,

Curtis Lofton,

Stephen Nicholas, Akeem Dent, Spencer Adkins

CB:

Brent Grimes, Asante Samuel

Richard Marshall,

Chris Owens, Dominique Franks

FS:

Thomas Decoud, Phillip Thomas

SS: William Moore, Shann Schillinger

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS:

Joe Zelenka

Im sorry buddy but all those trades make this whole thing inconceivable. R. White isnt getting traded and neither is D. Freeney. How did we get Colston after he resigned with the Saints.

This must be a fantasy draft and FA.

In the OP's defense, the trades always get nuts, and I am sure it isnt just his team.

While I wouldnt want Colston over White....Colston and a 1 and 3 is a nice grab.

Didnt see the point in Freeney after keeping Abe, and Dont think Brooks was needed w/ Johnson and Jackson on the roster. M. Johnson was definately a better prospect...I sure hope he can be healthy to compete for that spot.

I am a big fan of dafting on the lines though, and personally I would have prolly taken OL and DL w/ every single pick, lol.

Roddy white traded enough reason to stop reading. But I get its a fantasy mock, why trade a man corner who is finalyl gonna play in a man scheme for another zone corner??

Understandable, though I got a 1st and 3rd for Roddy and replaced him with Colston. Don't see too much of a drop off there.

For corner, it was either get rid of Grimes and pick up another man corner to play next to Robinson or get rid of Robinson to pick up another zone corner to play next to Grimes. I chose to stick with the zone corner scheme and play Grimes and Samuel over Robinson and someone like Franks.

In the OP's defense, the trades always get nuts, and I am sure it isnt just his team.

While I wouldnt want Colston over White....Colston and a 1 and 3 is a nice grab.

Didnt see the point in Freeney after keeping Abe, and Dont think Brooks was needed w/ Johnson and Jackson on the roster. M. Johnson was definately a better prospect...I sure hope he can be healthy to compete for that spot.

I am a big fan of dafting on the lines though, and personally I would have prolly taken OL and DL w/ every single pick, lol.

Yeah I understand, but like you said it's hard not to like the compensation and replacement with Roddy going. I picked up Freeney because I feel like Abe needs someone proven on the other side so both can generate a good pass rush. Also, Abe will be gone in 1-2 years and Freeney 3-4. So it is just a temporary replacement until we can draft a new DE in the wings.

I like the prospect of Johnson & Jackson this season, but haven't seen enough of either of them to be fully confident in the guard position. Brooks adds competition to that spot. Between the three, we should be solidly upgraded at OG next season.

I don't see how he can make all that work with a $25M cap. Even with the trades.

With the game, you have to understand that the contracts aren't going to be as high as they would be in real life. For example, I got Lofton for like 4 million and Abe for like 2 million. If that gives you an idea.

The highest contracts went to Brees and Ray Rice I believe at like 18 million and 14 million respectively. The Vincent Jackson's and the like were in the 6-8 mil range. And most others in the 2-6 mil range.

I'm sorry, but I stopped at trade Roddy.

I get most people don't want to trade Roddy, however I replaced him with Marques Colston who is only 28 and is a viable replacement IMO. On top of that, I added a 1st and 3rd round pick for him. Julio Jones, Marques Colston, and Harry Douglas is pretty close to JJ, RW, and HD in my book.

With that said, I understand if you wouldn't trade him away.

A lot of crazy things happened in the IMD.

- Colts traded down with the Browns and ended up with... Ryan Tannehill. Browns took Luck, Rams took RG3.

- New York Jets trade Mark Sanchez, Calvin Pace, Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, & pick #16 to Detroit for Matthew Stafford, Alphonso Smith, & pick #87 (3rd round)

- Juron Criner fell to late in the 7th round.

- New Orleans' new Quarterback: Ryan Mallet

- Oakland drafted decently.

Among many other eyebrow raisers.

Edited by Rai