Atljbo's 1St Mock Draft

atljbo

2nd round: 6'2 204lbs CB/FS Trumaine Johnson

A big phsyical CB that can play NB,CB,or FS... He also has great ball skills.. I think he can come in day 1 and compete for the NB position/backup safety... Go against the bigger TE's.... This gives Mike Nolan another big CB (Sean Smith) ...Has the potential to be a ver good man coverage CB with ball skills (15 ints with 35 pass breakups) ...He has that swag i know Coach Nolan will love.

3rd round: 6'6 315lbs LT Donald Stephenson

The guy has the athleticism and feet to be a LT in this league.. I think he will need to sit a year (has to get a little stronger) but he could come in at the big TE sets... With his athleticism.. He would fit good in our offense with the sceen plays.... I also like how the guy finishes his blocks.

5th round : 6'4 245lbs DE/OLB Tim Fugger

An athletic DE/OLB that can rush the passer... Will be a great ST player also

6th round: 6'2 220lbs QB Chandler Harnish

A young QB that we could hopefully groom into Matt's backup.

7th round: 6'1 315lbs NT Myles Wade

A big NT with potential

7th round (comp i for Koenen) : 6'4 305lbs C/G Scott Wedige

A Canter/Guard prospect that we can develop

I feel your reaching a bit, Trumaine Johnsons' would probably be the big nickel in Nolans' scheme. I don't think he'll be a FS or CB starter any time soon.

You're reaching bad on Stephenson, that's about 3 rounds ahead of where I have him, he's a total project, would much prefer a Matt McCants or Jeff Allen over him.

Overall it's ok, not to exciting, their's one guy in there that I can see having some impact his rookie year

i still can't quite figure out the love for Trumaine that is all over the boards. no doubt he is fast with great ball skills, he can play various positions and has fantastic length. But his negatives are kind of widespread panic. there are concerns about his work ethic, past disciplinary issues and an injury history. then there is some talk about him having tight hips, a lack of toughness and is not often an aggressive tackler. i really like the talent and a need is filled, but there are a lot ?s i have with him.

i agree with Zodiac it's a little early for Stephenson, but i love his athletic upside.

you've got a lot of different names for the same kinds of players i am looking at. i wouldnt be upset if it fell this way.

I haven't done a ton of research into Trumaine Johnson, but I don't really like him for us. He reminds me too much of Thomas DeCoud. DeCoud came into the league a FS/CB who was supposed to be versatile and be able to play free safety or nickel back if we needed him to.

He wasn't fast enough or good enough to stick at CB, so we had him play free safety and he's been decent at best. This seems like the path Trumaine Johnson will take. Some team will take him, find out that he can't play CB at the NFL level and then he'll be a decent free safety. That isn't what we need imo.

DeCoud and Johnson are basically the same athlete as well (both 6'2, 195+ lbs) -- DeCoud is actually faster and quicker. DeCoud's combine 40 was 4.50 seconds while Johnson's was 4.61 seconds, and DeCoud's 3 cone drill was 6.85 seconds while Johnson's is 7.20 seconds. So I don't think a DB with a 4.6 40 and 7.2 second 3 cone drill will be able to thrive in a man cover scheme, and I don't think he will be a great free safety either. I could be wrong on the free safety part, but there are players who are better free safety prospects like Harrison Smith who could be available at #55. George Iloka (6'4) and even Janzen Jackson could be better free safety prospects than Trumaine Johnson.

I just really don't like DeCoud, and he reminds me way too much of him. If you are looking for a CB, we may have to move up a little for Janoris Jenkins which wouldn't be a bad move considering he's a stud. But this mock gives us a player that wouldn't start at CB or FS right now and a developmental LT. IMO not the best. Just giving my opinion -- we need guys that can help this team get over the hump right now.

The Dirty Bird

He is nothing like Decoud.. He has better ball skills and better coverage ability...If you saw the combine.. His unofficial time (which is closer to teams times) was 4.5

Last year i remember thinking... Man that Stanford CB looked good in the games i saw him in (UCLA and Oregon State) and dudes a converted WR...He went and ran a 4.56 40... Some said he would have to be a FS... Today the guy looks like one of the up incoming CB's in this league... I think Trumaine has that potential... He always has the Centerfield FS position to fall back on

But back to the masses

Ive recently saw a couple of games of Donald Stephenson... THe guy has LT feet... Its not alot of guys in this draft that has LT feet... He finish his blocks (once he gets stronger he should be a good run blocker) .. He has the athleticism to be ge in pulling and traping situations.. Would be a good screen Tackle... I think he could develop into a Duane Brown type LT...

Do i think taking him in the 3rd is a little early... Yes... But like The hoodie said in the war room dealing with Vollmer ... They felt likeduring that draft day they was taking Vollmer a little to early but they new with some development.. The guy had the potential to be the OT their LT of the future... I think they felt the same about Soldier.. Most said the guy was truely a 3rd round guy but i think the Hoodie waws thinking a year from now... Does this guy has the skill set to be what we need him to be with some teaching and development a year from now.

I dont think a starting day 1 LT will make it to our pick in the 2nd round.... Baker is in his last year and So is Svitek... This is a time to bring in an developmental LT that has the skillset to develop then step in and compete for the job next year.

I dont think Allen is a LT (RT or Guard) and i like Matt McCants but i think he is in the same position as Donald Stephenson (Will need to sit a year and develop)

Sidenote

I have 1 more mock draft i will throw out there next week.

I love the Johnson pick especially when you read about his 4-2-5 scheme stuff. I'm from Montana and watch a lot of the UofM games. I don't know how to evalute lineman. Late round offensive lineman Jeff Adams Columbia,Tom Compton South Dakota state,Brandon Brooks Miami of Oh(he seems to have shot up the boards),Adam Gettis Iowa,Ryan Miller Colorado,David Molk Michigan

The Dirty Bird

He is nothing like Decoud.. He has better ball skills and better coverage ability...If you saw the combine.. His unofficial time (which is closer to teams times) was 4.5

Last year i remember thinking... Man that Stanford CB looked good in the games i saw him in (UCLA and Oregon State) and dudes a converted WR...He went and ran a 4.56 40... Some said he would have to be a FS... Today the guy looks like one of the up incoming CB's in this league... I think Trumaine has that potential... He always has the Centerfield FS position to fall back on

Okay but his official time was 4.61. DeCoud's official time was 4.50, and his unofficial times were in the low 4.4s. DeCoud is a faster and quicker athlete than Trumaine Johnson. His 3 cone drill is scary slow for a DB. TE prospect Dwayne Allen, who runs a 4.89 40, ran the 3 cone drill faster than Trumaine Johnson. His agility is poor and he will get beat by WRs or TEs over the middle as a FS.

(Thumbs up) that you liked a Stanford CB and he is progressing in the NFL --- what in the heck does this have to do with Trumaine Johnson? You were "right" on one DB prospect so you'll be right on this one? I don't see where you're going with this. Is it the 4.56 40? Because hundreds of DBs run the 40 in the 4.5s. (And Johnson ran it in the 4.6s).

Also don't see why he always has the centerfield FS position to fall back on? Prospects who fail at CB can't just fall back to being great free safeties -- the positions are different. If we are going for a FS, Harrison Smith is a better prospect.

Just not a fan of Johnson's, I hope we don't go with him. If we don't sign Aubrayo Franklin or a NT in free agency for cheap I wouldn't mind double dipping at DT in the 2nd and 3rd round. A NT like Brandon Thompson and a DT like Kheeston Rhandall who can play 3-4 DE would give us a nice duo inside who would get immediate playing time. Both are great run stuffers and good pass rushers, particularly Rhandall who is explosive off the snap at 6'5 300 lbs. If we aren't adding a CB, S, or LB then two DTs could be a nice move.

Okay but his official time was 4.61. DeCoud's official time was 4.50, and his unofficial times were in the low 4.4s. DeCoud is a faster and quicker athlete than Trumaine Johnson. His 3 cone drill is scary slow for a DB. TE prospect Dwayne Allen, who runs a 4.89 40, ran the 3 cone drill faster than Trumaine Johnson. His agility is poor and he will get beat by WRs or TEs over the middle as a FS.

(Thumbs up) that you liked a Stanford CB and he is progressing in the NFL --- what in the heck does this have to do with Trumaine Johnson? You were "right" on one DB prospect so you'll be right on this one? I don't see where you're going with this. Is it the 4.56 40? Because hundreds of DBs run the 40 in the 4.5s. (And Johnson ran it in the 4.6s).

Also don't see why he always has the centerfield FS position to fall back on? Prospects who fail at CB can't just fall back to being great free safeties -- the positions are different. If we are going for a FS, Harrison Smith is a better prospect.

Just not a fan of Johnson's, I hope we don't go with him. If we don't sign Aubrayo Franklin or a NT in free agency for cheap I wouldn't mind double dipping at DT in the 2nd and 3rd round. A NT like Brandon Thompson and a DT like Kheeston Rhandall who can play 3-4 DE would give us a nice duo inside who would get immediate playing time. Both are great run stuffers and good pass rushers, particularly Rhandall who is explosive off the snap at 6'5 300 lbs. If we aren't adding a CB, S, or LB then two DTs could be a nice move.

Its not about being right on one CB... I dont want a pat on the back... I'm saying what i see.. Not going off just numbers or highlights...I'm saying what ive seen while looking at the guy play in

Have you seen Trumaine Johnson play ?... I dont see how you could compare the 2... Most feel Decoud doesnt have great ball skills.... Johnson does... Most feel like Decoud has to be a little better with his instincts... Johnson is very instictive.. Decoud is a great tackler.. Johnson needs to improve on that... Tru is better in coverage then Decoud... I think Turmaine could be a good NB in our scheme.... From his coverage abilities to his blitzing abilities (in coach Nolan's scheme)

Another thing.. Even Charlie Casserly said teams go by their hand time... Not the official times... Official times are normally slow

I dont like the 3 cone numbers.. cant lie about that .. That bothers me the most ..Not the 40

Going by what ive seen from him on the field... I think he could help us at the NB position

I like Harrison Smith as a FS prospect.. I dont see him making it to our pick.

At DT... I wouldnt mind a DT if the right DT is there... I felt like last year getting pressure up the middle was our biggest problem pass rush wise...

Its not about being right on one CB... I dont want a pat on the back... I'm saying what i see.. Not going off just numbers or highlights...I'm saying what ive seen while looking at the guy play in

Have you seen Trumaine Johnson play ?... I dont see how you could compare the 2... Most feel Decoud doesnt have great ball skills.... Johnson does... Most feel like Decoud has to be a little better with his instincts... Johnson is very instictive.. Decoud is a great tackler.. Johnson needs to improve on that... Tru is better in coverage then Decoud... I think Turmaine could be a good NB in our scheme.... From his coverage abilities to his blitzing abilities (in coach Nolan's scheme)

Another thing.. Even Charlie Casserly said teams go by their hand time... Not the official times... Official times are normally slow

I dont like the 3 cone numbers.. cant lie about that .. That bothers me the most ..Not the 40

Going by what ive seen from him on the field... I think he could help us at the NB position

I like Harrison Smith as a FS prospect.. I dont see him making it to our pick.

At DT... I wouldnt mind a DT if the right DT is there... I felt like last year getting pressure up the middle was our biggest problem pass rush wise...

I think the interior of defensive line is, at this point, by far our weakest area defensively. Babs in about to be 30 and he had a terrible year last year. Peria Jerry is a bust and he's depth. Corey Peters is decent at best. We could use a good DT to plug in next to Babs, and another good DT to rotate in.

If for example we were able to get Brandon Thompson and Kheeston Rhandall, Babs and Thompson would start on 1st and 2nd down, Babs and Rhandall would play DT on 3rd down in 4-3 sets, and 3-4 alignments Thompson would man the NT positions and Babs and Rhandall would be the DEs. I really like Rhandall, I think he's got a ton of potential yet to be tapped. He's also a model citizen, certainly the kind of player TD likes to draft.

Again, I'm just not a Trumaine Johnson fan. If we're drafting him to get a NB, I think we can find one later. A favorite sleeper of mine is Derrius Brooks from Western Kentucky -- he's a faster version of Brent Grimes and may go undrafted. Former WR turned CB who took to the position quickly, had 4 interceptions as senior after getting 3 interceptions as a junior -- his first year as a CB. 5'10, 192 lbs, 4.25/4.35 40 speed, 38" vert, 13 bench reps, 6.61 3 cone drill (that's faster than Darren Sproles and 99% of NFL players). He also had 48 tackles and 10 pass breakups to go with those 4 interceptions and he only started 8 games. A ton of upside here.

Trumaine is too much of a tweener, for my liking. I don't think he'll ever be a good cornerback unless he can greatly improve his instincts and intelligence to compensate for his lack of speed and quickness. He could become a good safety, if he becomes more aggressive in the run game and a better tackler.

I'd trust him more covering tight ends than wide receivers, and he has the size to man up against the big athletic kind so he's more of a specialty player right now.

KIper sez..

Analysis: Johnson is a super

blue-chip prospect coming out of the I-AA ranks. He has the size, athletic ability, and ball skills to be one heck of a cornerback at the pro level.

He warrants early-round consideration, even though his production was largely the product of his dominating inferior wide receivers at a lower

level of competition. I see Johnson being like a Rashean Mathis, who came out of Bethune-Cookman in the second round to Jacksonville and is

having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I think Johnson can follow in those footsteps. With all that said, in order to maximize his ability,

Johnson will have to prove that a prior off the field issue is a thing of the past. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.50, did 19 reps

KIper sez..

Analysis: Johnson is a super

blue-chip prospect coming out of the I-AA ranks. He has the size, athletic ability, and ball skills to be one heck of a cornerback at the pro level.

He warrants early-round consideration, even though his production was largely the product of his dominating inferior wide receivers at a lower

level of competition. I see Johnson being like a Rashean Mathis, who came out of Bethune-Cookman in the second round to Jacksonville and is

having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I think Johnson can follow in those footsteps. With all that said, in order to maximize his ability,

Johnson will have to prove that a prior off the field issue is a thing of the past. *Combine Note: Ran a 4.50, did 19 reps

Yea most hand times had him at 4.5 flat