Official 2012 Nhl Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

It's official the NHL Playoffs are here. Matchups below for Round 1. Discuss & enjoy the 2012 stanley cup playoffs.

Round 1

Eastern Conference

[1] New York vs. [8] Ottawa

[2] Boston vs. [7] Washington- Washington won series 4-3

[3] Florida vs. [6] New Jersey

[4] Pittsburgh vs. [5] Philadelphia- Philadelphia won series 4-2

Western Conference

[1] Vancouver vs. [8] Los Angeles - Los Angeles won series 4-1

[2] St. Louis vs. [7] San Jose - St. Louis won series 4-1

[3] Phoenix vs. [6] Chicago- Phoenix won series 4-2

[4] Nashville vs. [5] Detroit- Nashville won series 4-1

Edited by NJDirtyBird7

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a quiet one. The NHL is in desperate need of a makeover.

Maybe in Atlanta since the lost of the Thrashers. Not in the New Jersey/ New York area.

I have been happy with what the NHL has done since the lockout. I think it has made the game more exciting and drawn in a younger crowd.

Maybe in Atlanta since the lost of the Thrashers. Not in the New Jersey/ New York area.

I have been happy with what the NHL has done since the lockout. I think it has made the game more exciting and drawn in a younger crowd.

I'm too old. I fondly remember the heyday of the Bruins, then Flyers, then Habs, then Islanders, then Oilers. What happened to goal scoring in the NHL? 25 years ago, in 1985-86, the Red Wings finished dead last in scoring with 266 goals in 80 games, well short of the next to last team and 120 short of the league leading Oilers. Last year, 2010-11, that 266 would have led the league. I heard the Kings made the playoffs this year averaging less than 2.5 goals per game.

I'm too old. I fondly remember the heyday of the Bruins, then Flyers, then Habs, then Islanders, then Oilers. What happened to goal scoring in the NHL? 25 years ago, in 1985-86, the Red Wings finished dead last in scoring with 266 goals in 80 games, well short of the next to last team and 120 short of the league leading Oilers. Last year, 2010-11, that 266 would have led the league. I heard the Kings made the playoffs this year averaging less than 2.5 goals per game.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't the goalie pads smaller back in 85-86?

I agree. They made some good rule changes after the lockout. Taking out the 2-line pass rule has resulted in far more breakaway goals. Then I heard a few days ago they might put that rule back in. NOOOOOOOOOOOO I said!

That's something that has been is a constant stat of change. I think the goal scoring drought can be traced to your boy in NJ, Jacques Lemaire and his protracted use of the neutral zone trap. Too bad the NHL can't just make the rink size 10% larger.

One reason I love the Olympic hockey is because they use the bigger rinks and it gives the skaters more room and it allows for more scoring.

I don't know. I do know that scoring is up since the lockout.

Oh and GO RED WINGS! Let's get another Cup!

My thoughts, since shrinking the rink will never happen.

1: Limit the length of stick a player can use....establish a correlation to height

2: Keep the puck weight the same, but shrink the circumference by 5%

3: Keep the outside dimensions of the goal the same but decrease the size of the posts/crossbar by 1/3 and flatten so rebounds come straight back out.

4: A penalty is for the full 2 minutes, even if a power play goal is scored.

5: Bring the net a foot further out from the glass

My thoughts, since shrinking the rink will never happen.

1: Limit the length of stick a player can use....establish a correlation to height

2: Keep the puck weight the same, but shrink the circumference by 5%

3: Keep the outside dimensions of the goal the same but decrease the size of the posts/crossbar by 1/3 and flatten so rebounds come straight back out.

4: A penalty is for the full 2 minutes, even if a power play goal is scored.

5: Bring the net a foot further out from the glass

The only one of those that I really understand and totally agree with is allowing for power plays to be a full 2 minutes even if a goal is scored. Same for any penalty of any length.

The only one of those that I really understand and totally agree with is allowing for power plays to be a full 2 minutes even if a goal is scored. Same for any penalty of any length.

I mention the sticks because defencemen play with these great long weapons for poke-checking. I mention the goal posts because I'd like to see a big scoring area, same with the puck. The game needs goals. Shootouts are silly. It's like Ryan and Brees playing overtime by seeing who can throw the most balls through a tire.

I mention the sticks because defencemen play with these great long weapons for poke-checking. I mention the goal posts because I'd like to see a big scoring area, same with the puck. The game needs goals. Shootouts are silly. It's like Ryan and Brees playing overtime by seeing who can throw the most balls through a tire.

I agree with the more scoring and I really like the shootouts after the 5 minute overtime period. It's better than games ending in ties. I mis-read #5 on your list. Totally agree there needs to be more room behind the nets. I thought you were talking about the protective netting above the glass. Silly me.

I agree with the more scoring and I really like the shootouts after the 5 minute overtime period. It's better than games ending in ties. I mis-read #5 on your list. Totally agree there needs to be more room behind the nets. I thought you were talking about the protective netting above the glass. Silly me.

Shootouts are exciting, but are only a shadow of the actual sport itself. I'd rather they go down to 3-3 after 5 minutes, maybe even progressing down to 2 on 2 or mano a mano, til they get a real goal. The shootout is like baseball using a homerun hitting contest to decide games after the 10th inning.

I agree, and I love shootouts. They make the game very exciting, and you don't have to watch a full game and be disappointed by a tie ever again.

Really?? over the Penguins, Red Wings, Vancouver, and the Rangers?? I don't think they make it past the 1st round against the Red Wings

I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Wings. Wings have had to deal with a ton of major injuries this season and the Preds did finish the season with a better record than the Wings.

BUT GO WINGS!

I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Wings. Wings have had to deal with a ton of major injuries this season and the Preds did finish the season with a better record than the Wings.

BUT GO WINGS!

Wings and the Preds both have the same amount of wins at 48. I think the wings have a better all around team with better depth on their roster

Edited by NJDirtyBird7

I loved hockey, sadly that flame extinguished when the Thrashers left town. Seeing as there's no ice in mid GA and the fact only a couple people I know even had a mild interest in it. Not to mention the home team was doomed from the beginning and made double time to Canada at the first chance, my interest just kinda died away.

Wings and the Preds both have the same amount of wins at 48. I think the wings have a better all around team with better depth on their roster

Right the Wings are deeper but how healthy are they? I saw a game not that long ago and the Wings had 6 or 7 starters out of the lineup do to verious injuries. I'm a Wings fan I would like nothing more than to see them win but I'm not gonna be surprised if they don't. Having been able to see the Preds a lot I really think they are very, very good.