A Few Benchmarks For Our New Coordinators

Well it's apparent our front office thinks we have the talent to get er done.

They opted to change out very few players and instead went with two new coordinators and new Oline and QB coaches.

Barring major injuries we will likely have 20 of the same 22 starters back for the 2012 season. Possibly Manu at RG and either Dent or Lofa at MLB.

So the stage is set. We will eventually find out if it was the players or the coaches who were the problem the last few years.

The new coordinators will have to implement new schemes but they should benefit from the maturity of players like Ryan, Quizz, Julio, Spoon, Peters, DeCoud and WillyMo.

Here are a few stats from the previous coordinators over the last four seasons that could serve as benchmarks:

Best Regular Season Record = 13-3

Average Regular Season Record = 11-5

Worst Regular Season Record = 9-7

Best Playoff Record = 0-1

Average Playoff Record = 0-1

Worst Playoff Record = 0-1

Best Points Scored Per Game = 25.9

Average Points Scored Per Game = 24.5

Worst Points Scored Per Game = 22.7

Best Points Allowed Per Game = 18.0

Average Points Allowed Per Game = 20.1

Worst Points Allowed Per Game = 21.9

I'd like to see us set the team record for all differential metrics: points, first downs, turnovers, sacks, time of possession, penalties. I know that's unrealistic to consider, but if we can set the record for any one of them and come close on the others, we'll have an outstanding season.

Same team minus Lofton, Weems, and probably Ovie.

Same offensive line, same pass rush.

Same team that has been blown-out two years running in the play-offs.

Best Free Agency class in twenty years and we sign two measely FA's who havent played since 2010.

We better have one helluva draft is all i got to say.

Good luck with meeting that standard, Blank.

Maybe next year.

"They opted to change out very few players and instead went with two new coordinators and new Oline and QB coaches"

Although true statement, I think the coordinators were hired early and had a part in player evaluations. I think they had a part in which players to keep, who to let go, example Lofton. They could evlaute players as they fit into their scheme and without any connection to the player so it should have been critical but fair evaluations.

The hired the new coordinators early. I think they also had a part in player evaluation & determined who to keep and if we needed to pursue players in FA.

Edited by AEFalcon

Good point. All three should be 0-1. Edited. Herein lies the problem. The current regime couldn't win a playoff game. The new regime must get over that hump.

They can score less, have less yards, first downs, sacks, picks, whatever. But if they win enough regular season games to qualify for the playoffs and win a playoff game, they will be better and the FO will look good.

If they don't, they won't. If they miss the playoffs altogether then we got serious issues.

"They opted to change out very few players and instead went with two new coordinators and new Oline and QB coaches"

Although true statement, I think the coordinators were hired early and had a part in player evaluations. I think they had a part in which players to keep, who to let go, example Lofton. They could evlaute players as they fit into their scheme and without any connection to the player so it should have been critical but fair evaluations.

Agreed. The new coordinators definitely have some skin in the game.

Their benchmark for me is to at least win one playoff game.

While I agree with Dimitroff & Co. that the talent is there, the window of opportunity might be closing quickly. And I'm worried this will be an off year as our players adjust to new coordinators on both sides of the ball. Still... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to go 10-6 and win one game in the postseason.

the ONLY benchmark our coaches need to concern themselves with is winning playoff games nothing else matters.
You gotta win regular season games to win playoff games. At least ten. Probably gonna take eleven to get in.

The NFC will be tough. Only six teams get a playoff shot at a Bowl.

NYG, GB, SF, NO, DET, CHI, PHI, DAL could be formidable. Don't be shocked if CAR, STL, SEA, WAS, ARI, MIN or TB rises from the dead.

You gotta win regular season games to win playoff games. At least ten. Probably gonna take eleven to get in.

The NFC will be tough. Only six teams get a playoff shot at a Bowl.

NYG, GB, SF, NO, DET, CHI, PHI, DAL could be formidable. Don't be shocked if CAR, STL, SEA, WAS, ARI, MIN or TB rises from the dead.

NYG will be lucky to be 9-7, The packers will also take a tumble they still do not have a defense. The niners are still relying on Alex Smith .....enough said.

NO??? you mean the ones with NO coach and still does not have their franchise qb signed?....they also can not get to the qb nor can they cover fast physical players. Det could be a big threat but they have no running game.

Chicago still has the worst Oline in football, The eagles still have a Oline coach running the defense and Mccoy might hold out.

We are ATLEAST as in good of shape as all of those you listed, and in MUCH better shape then most.

NYG will be lucky to be 9-7, The packers will also take a tumble they still do not have a defense. The niners are still relying on Alex Smith .....enough said.

NO??? you mean the ones with NO coach and still does not have their franchise qb signed?....they also can not get to the qb nor can they cover fast physical players. Det could be a big threat but they have no running game.

Chicago still has the worst Oline in football, The eagles still have a Oline coach running the defense and Mccoy might hold out.

We are ATLEAST as in good of shape as all of those you listed, and in MUCH better shape then most.

Then it sounds like we are a lock for first seed, a bye and a couple wins to get us to the Bowl. Cool. Can't wait. Thanks!

Just make us play a little more positive, attacking and aggressive on game day. Play to win and play without fear and Leave it all out there every week. If we do that, then he score will take care of itself, win or lose.

Getting a playoff win (or 3 or 4) is the next step, but you can't guarantee success in NFL. Winning in the NFL is tough and the NFC has been more competitive over the last 3 seasons than it has ever been: 2 or 3 really good teams will miss the playoffs this year and the playoffs themselves are a lottery. Playing well and losing is something I can live with. Not showing up in big games, playing scared, giving up and betting well beaten by is what tears me up.

We trust rolleyes.gif in AB/MS/TD, because of a winning record, but feel the coordinator and coaching changes solve all problems. How is personnel(TD/AB),

execution(players), and big game preparation(MS) not a significant problem?

The new coordinators are in a bad situation, they need a winning season at the least. Flowery Branch has declared its not the players, TD, or MS outright.

Its unfair to them, but DK/Nolan need results sooner than later.

Unlike the board - Who would replace the whole staff, front office and half the roster every 2-3 years Mr Blank is smart enough (1) to recognise the good things that this set up has achieved (and yes here have been good things, in spite of the lack of a championship) and (2) to recognise the need for - and value of - continuity.

The falcons couldn't do much this off-season, because of a lack of cap space (given our number of Key FAs) and draft picks. I suppose we could have let 5 or 6 guys go and put the $ towards the big name FA this board craves, but that wouldn't have made us better. Mario and Nicks weren't worth getting worse at multiple positions for. All we can do is work within our means do what we think will give us the best roster going forward and wait and see what happens.

With new - and better - coaching from our new OC (who can't be worse than MM) and DC (whose resume already shows him to be better than BVG) hopefully we well get more out of the talented personnel we already have, and the young guys drafted by TD over the last 4 years. After 2012 we should have a better idea of where we are in terms of talent and also whether the conservative approach we've seen to date was down to MS.

I don't think that MS is safe as HC. AB isn't one to pull the trigger too readily because he values continuity, but If things don't go as hoped, he wil be the next one under the spotlight. It would take a very bad season for MS to lose his job in 2012, back to back seasons missing the playoffs or no playoff won in 2 years would see I'm gone IMO.

Well it's apparent our front office thinks we have the talent to get er done.

They opted to change out very few players and instead went with two new coordinators and new Oline and QB coaches.

Barring major injuries we will likely have 20 of the same 22 starters back for the 2012 season. Possibly Manu at RG and either Dent or Lofa at MLB.

So the stage is set. We will eventually find out if it was the players or the coaches who were the problem the last few years.

The new coordinators will have to implement new schemes but they should benefit from the maturity of players like Ryan, Quizz, Julio, Spoon, Peters, DeCoud and WillyMo.

Here are a few stats from the previous coordinators over the last four seasons that could serve as benchmarks:

Best Regular Season Record = 13-3

Average Regular Season Record = 11-5

Worst Regular Season Record = 9-7

Best Playoff Record = 0-1

Average Playoff Record = 0-1

Worst Playoff Record = 0-1

Best Points Scored Per Game = 25.9

Average Points Scored Per Game = 24.5

Worst Points Scored Per Game = 22.7

Best Points Allowed Per Game = 18.0

Average Points Allowed Per Game = 20.1

Worst Points Allowed Per Game = 21.9

I almost hate thinking this but why does all of your post HAVE to be agenda driven or at least preemptive?

Edited by Atlfanstckndenver

Then it sounds like we are a lock for first seed, a bye and a couple wins to get us to the Bowl. Cool. Can't wait. Thanks!

So show me where I was wrong?

EVERY you mentioned has issues..just like we do. Some of those teams have even bigger issues then we do.

I mean look at the saints.

They right now have no head coach and teams will start having minicamps in a couple of weeks.

Brees is still not signed and of the handful of FA's they have signed NONE of them address their most glaring weakness.........pass coverage.

They still can not generate a pass rush out of their front 4. And their defense which had been built for a man to man defense probably will be running a lot more zone now............Then throw in this whole bounty gate thing which you KNOW the media is going to be hounding them non stop about and be a distraction. Yet they are some how in better shape than us??

GTFOH