How Come We Can Never Really Draft Any Impact Rookies?

Number2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL Draft is a very complex thing, you have 31 other teams with the same goal & some of the same needs that you have. If you are a team that has had a winning record over the last few years, your draft position will not be great. This means that you have to find gems in later rounds. I actually think that we have done a pretty good job on drafting & developing late round talent, It's some of our 1st round picks, even before the TD era, that has set us back some. The ideal should be, that if you draft a player in the 1st round, you shouldn't have to draft that position for at least another 5 years.The problem comes in when it's only 2 years later & you need that same position that you invested picks, resources & money in.I'm sure every team has at least 3 players in the last 5-6 years that they wish they could redo that pick or even better that player turned out to be what they expected out of them. It's gonna be difficult again this year, cause there will be 54 players drafted before we ever make our first pick. Do your homework & make the best picks possible.

Guest Gritz

Julio had a heII of a season, even while missing several games.

As for defensive rookies, you might actually see just how loaded we are on that side of the ball now that we got a real coach.

I really hope you're right about that. If Nolan can generate some pass rush out of that underachieving defensive line I would nominate him for Coordinator of the Year.

Ryan and Julio lit it up their rookie seasons. I would say Lofton, Spoon, Quizz, Peters were all impactful... That's just the top of my head. I expect we get 2 impactful players from this draft right away... Not on the level of Ryan or Julio but def. contributors.

There is so much BS said on these boards that people just start believing what they read... This whole TD can't draft being the newest BS.

Wouldn't put Spoon or Jerry on a list of "impact rookies." Julio Jones however made one **** of a splash as a rookie. The bar for him is set VERY high. If you wanted to break it down though, our impact rookies have been Matt Ryan, Curtis Lofton, Corey Peters, and Julio Jones. The criteria for "impact rookie" being a good starting caliber player as a rookie of course, not a liability.

Middleton was taken off our practice squad. We never gave up on him. We never had a chance to use him,

we had the chance to use him, we just didn't jump on it. We do that with a lot of players, even ones on our current roster. I'm glad to see someone put him to use and wish him much success

Ryan and Julio lit it up their rookie seasons. I would say Lofton, Spoon, Quizz, Peters were all impactful... That's just the top of my head. I expect we get 2 impactful players from this draft right away... Not on the level of Ryan or Julio but def. contributors.

There is so much BS said on these boards that people just start believing what they read... This whole TD can't draft being the newest BS.

Exactly right. Saying Lofton wasn't an impact player is just stupid. The same people who were saying Lofton got snubbed for the Pro Bowl are saying he stunk, and they are glad to see him go. I don't remember ANYONE complaining about him in '09 and '10 when he was beasting out in the middle. You are exactly right, that people just start believing what they read. The whole "Lofton sucks" thing spread like wildfire.

I really think TD is gonna go BPA at 55 and we will have a really good addition to the Falcons.

Exactly right. Saying Lofton wasn't an impact player is just stupid. The same people who were saying Lofton got snubbed for the Pro Bowl are saying he stunk, and they are glad to see him go. I don't remember ANYONE complaining about him in '09 and '10 when he was beasting out in the middle. You are exactly right, that people just start believing what they read. The whole "Lofton sucks" thing spread like wildfire.

I really think TD is gonna go BPA at 55 and we will have a really good addition to the Falcons.

I've kept quiet on the Lofton talk because I think he will be missed and really liked him prior to leaving for the Taints. Anyone who is saying he sucked is just mad he left for the Taints...

Now with that being said I still do not think Lofton was a top 5 MLB and understand why we LET him walk.

So... start him as a rookie... or have him start over Grimes and Robinson? lolwut?

wasn't he drafted the same year as Grimes Was signed or year after. Plus he is a nickel, who said anything about starting him?? Edited by ya_boi_j