Why The 2011 Draft Was The Right Time For Td To Jump Up And Draft A Reciever

tobyd77

I feel that I may cause some controversy with this one but what is life without being controversial it's how I am learning to live these days and I am starting to like it. So without further or do let's get started and I am going to try and not write so much on this time around.

Many of us not including myself were not happy with TD's decision to make a 21 spot jump up to 6 from 27 to get Julio Jones but just for the record they would have jumped 22 spots up to draft Green had the Bengals had of let them so either way it would have been Green or Julio.

Well let's take a look at drafts that TD has been involved in prior to 2011 and while we're at it take a look at the FA market the best we can to see what TD may have been thinking as to why he would make this type of what would seem to be a drastic move to acquire this guy in the draft.

2009 FA market the top 4 WR in the market at the time were

#1Terrell Owens

#2 T.J. Houshmandzadeh

#3 Joey Galloway

#4 Antonio Bryant

#5 Laveranues Coles

2009 draft

#1 Michael Crabtree

#2 Jeremy Maclin

#3 Kenny britt

#4 Darius Heyward-Bey

#5 Percy Harvin

2010 FA market

#1 Terrell Owens

#2 Antonio Bryant

#3 Derrick Mason

#4 Kevin Walter

#5 Vincent Jackson

2010 draft

#1 Dez Bryant

#2 Arrelious Benn

#3 Brandon LaFell

#4 Mardy Gilyard

#5 Jacoby Ford

2011 FA market

#1Sidney Rice

#2 Malcom Floyd

#3 Steve Smith

#4 Santonio Holmes

#5 Braylon Edwards

2011 draft

#1 AJ Green

#2 Julio Jones

#3 Jonathan Baldwin

#4 Greg Salas

#5 Greg Childs

Guys 1 of three reason tell me from what I'm looking at on the surface that when atlanta went through this scenoirio as to why some of these guys weren't pick n 2011.

#1 injury prone and some of these guys misssed more games over the coarse of their career than Julio in 2011, #2 off the field and on the field issues, and #3 Not considered a true #1 WR.

Julio is the idea of a #1 and will be that #1 guy for Ryan going forward and I believe that that transition just may begin in 2012 under OC Koetter. And yes there are a few guys in this draft that may warrent a #1 reciever grade but that will remain to be seen once the season starts for them.

Julio was the right choice for us as our future #1 option and I see him proving that more and more in 2012. Now one can argue we could have gotten VJax but the Falcons were not going to overpay for a guy like that when they can get a similiar and cheaper model in Julio Jones that will give you more game play and playmaker production on the field but we will see what Vjax does for TB in 2012 for the money they paid him to be a #1. And that is my take on it what is your?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean Greg Little, not Greg Childs and you're forgetting Torrey Smith, an ideal #2 WR, who would have been a decent value where the Falcons original 1st round pick resided.

Torrey Smith is not worth a 1st rounder no matter how you look at it. Would he be able to take over for Roddy when Roddy is gone? Not a chance.

Since we can't go back and untrade the trade, let's all just be thankful that Julio was not a complete and utter bust ala Charles Rogers or Mike Williams or a guy that we're unsure of (like Roddy early in his career). Jones was all he was advertised to be, and the scary thing is that he is only going to get better... sad.png is the look that Julio will be seeing on the face of DBs for the next decade!

I think you mean Greg Little, not Greg Childs and you're forgetting Torrey Smith, an ideal #2 WR, who would have been a decent value where the Falcons original 1st round pick resided.

I copied what they had. Doesn't really matter Greg Little is not a #1 quality receiver.

Edited by tobyd77

Torrey Smith is not worth a 1st rounder no matter how you look at it. Would he be able to take over for Roddy when Roddy is gone? Not a chance.

No matter how you slice it Torrey Smith is not as good as Julio Jones, but he was more than good enough to be an excellent compliment to a receiving group that already had Roddy White and Gonzo. Plus you'd still have 4 draft picks.

No matter how you slice it Torrey Smith is not as good as Julio Jones, but he was more than good enough to be an excellent compliment to a receiving group that already had Roddy White and Gonzo. Plus you'd still have 4 draft picks.

The picking of Julio tells me that TD wasn't just looking for a compliment, he was looking for a future replacement. Roddy is already replaced when the time comes. We already have our QB and #1 receiver for the next 10 years.

The picking of Julio tells me that TD wasn't just looking for a compliment, he was looking for a future replacement. Roddy is already replaced when the time comes. We already have our QB and #1 receiver for the next 10 years.

While that is definitely a benefit and no doubt a factor in the decision, the primary motivation behind the deal was to take advantage of the talent in place and improve the team for an immediate playoff run.

While Jones should be great, he's still a couple years from being that solo #1(should be co #1). That and the risk of injury tells me TD took a big chance.....too big IMO

NO WIDE RECEIVER CAN POSSIBLY MAKE A BIG ENOUGH IMPACT TO MAKE THAT TRADE WORTHWHILE.

1) NOT ENOUGH TOUCHES.

2) TOO RELIANT UPON A QUARTERBACK--- THE QB IN TURN IS RELIANT ON HIS OFFENSIVE LINE.

59 catches turned into 959 yds and 8 TDs seems worth while to me and the Line is only going to be as good as Matt Ryan makes them so why are we still talking about the line again?

While that is definitely a benefit and no doubt a factor in the decision, the primary motivation behind the deal was to take advantage of the talent in place and improve the team for an immediate playoff run.

While Jones should be great, he's still a couple years from being that solo #1(should be co #1). That and the risk of injury tells me TD took a big chance.....too big IMO

A.j. Green is not that much better than Julio and he became a #1 since day 1.

A.j. Green is not that much better than Julio and he became a #1 since day 1.

Well there wasn't much competition for the #1 spot in Cincy. I will give AJ his props though. When it came to pulling down some tough catches, he came through for his QB. Julio let some big ones go. They both will have excellent careers and I'm very happy that we drafted Julio.

1) 59 catches turned into 959 yds and 8 TDs seems worth while to me and

2) the Line is only going to be as good as Matt Ryan makes them

3) so why are we still talking about the line again?

1) Not worth 5 other players. Please click on the linked article in my sig for a clear explanation.

2) You are an absolute idiot. Morons laugh at your stupidity. No quarterback can direct a consistent offense without an offensive line competent enough to give him time to throw. The quarterback can certainly help by having a quick release, the ability to move effectively in the pocket, and the capability of making quick reads to outlet receivers--- but that limits the offense play calling. See our problems last year. MM had to shorten the routes, and Ryan had to continually check down due to pressure, or sometimes even expected pressure.

Furthermore, an effective running game also makes the passing attack more dangerous, because it forces a safety or two to cheat up into the box.

3) Because it is the most important unit on any football team. A dominating line makes the entire team, even the defense, better.

No quarterback can direct a consistent offense without an offensive line competent enough to give him time to throw. The quarterback can certainly help by having a quick release, the ability to move effectively in the pocket, and the capability of making quick reads to outlet receivers--- but that limits the offense play calling. See our problems last year. MM had to shorten the routes, and Ryan had to continually check down due to pressure, or sometimes even expected pressure.

It's all relative. Between the Steelers in 08 and the Giants this year, the whole thing about HAVING to have a good line to win is somewhat bunk. There is no formula for football in terms of a set bench mark where you can say a position is good enough to guarantee wins or bad enough to guarantee failure. Simply put, you need to win a the LOS when it counts.

It's all relative. Between the Steelers in 08 and the Giants this year, the whole thing about HAVING to have a good line to win is somewhat bunk. There is no formula for football in terms of a set bench mark where you can say a position is good enough to guarantee wins or bad enough to guarantee failure. Simply put, you need to win a the LOS when it counts.

The Steelers and Giants both had one commonality: their opponents got there on the strength of offenses, but less impressive defenses. The Giants especially feasted on the #32 defense.

True. In the salary cap age, you can only have so many areas of strength and talent. With the Steelers and Giants it was QB and pass rush that stepped up when it mattered. Not coincidentally, when the Falcons have fizzled in the playoffs, QB and pass rush were the primary failures.

True.  In the salary cap age, you can only have so many areas of strength and talent.  With the Steelers and Giants it was QB and pass rush that stepped up when it mattered.  Not coincidentally, when the Falcons have fizzled in the playoffs, QB and pass rush were the primary failures.

You'd have to throw in the secondary for GB. Really, outside of Julio, I can't think of a single player on offense against the Giants that really did anything halfway good.