Would Saints Fans Defend The Falcons If Bountygate Happened To Them?

Trouble

Fair question..

Or would they pile it on?

thoughts?

They would come down even harder on us then we did them.

This post, like others, even more proves the OP's point. If it was the Falcons, I would be the first to say, "They egregiously broke the rules, in a time where the rest of the league is trying to protect players!" Furthermore, I would not want Smith to get an appelate reduction in his penalties of a full year suspension. But, when I am that honest, and then think this could happen to my coach, I'm put in a tough spot. We are all in that same spot with a question like that. It makes us lie and say, "I would still say the penalty is too harsh"...well maybe you would feel that way, but no, if it's the Falcons, you won't say it (who am I to tell you what you would say? Heck, I may have given you a reason to respond on that lie and repost another lie to even more prove the OPs point).

Just be honest, history on these boards proves that when it's not us, we call for heads to roll. Go back and look at what was said about NE and spygate. If that was us, those threads would read much differently.

Truth is, we can hate the NFL, but they can live without one or two teams. I am a hair shy of hating Goodell, and thats only because hate is a terrible word. I feel he runs rough shod over people and not establishing an independent board, to hear appeals, is extremely heavy handed. He rules, and then holds power to overrule himself? Yeah, keep waiting for that to happen. But, it is what it is. We are just one team that can fall in line and stay within the bounds or we can watch this man continue to pummel us, unbridled.

I dont want SP gone for a year or even 6 months, honestly, because Gregg Williams is the culprit (as I write this, I'm thinking...soon proof will be revealed that SP knew a whole lot more). But, if he is gone a year, which you may as well bank on, he will NEVER let something like that happen again, regardless if anyone else doing it. I still appreciate GW for the superbowl and spirit of meanness that we had not seen in a while. But, the fact that he is not banned for life right now shows that there was some restraint on the rulings initially. I can appreciate that and makes it easier to accept SP punishment. It also helps me believe that this appeal will be fair, because the cynic in me feels that his delaying, and all, is just showmanship, knowing that he will never overrule himself.

None of that changes my point about the Falcons though and proves OPs point. If it was them, I would not give two thoughts to the process or any of that. I would be saying, "Drop the guillotine, it was egregious, players can get hurt, Smith needs to go!" Can you be that honest? Nod to Billnms for leading the way in the first response, I plussed you for honesty.

"Confessions on Easter Weekend"

I stole this question and added it here, because it does raise a fair point. No if its your team directly after winning a superbowl, and for having productive seasons following. You get wrapped in a bounty gate scandal. No the majority would be piling it on. Not all because some would take cheap shots saying they want Smith here, because he cant beat them.

But the majority would change their tone on how much of a outrage this is.

See the orig thread here from the Saints boards:

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/would-you-defend-falcons-if-happened-them-227585/

I commend the guy on asking a tough question and those who answered honestly. Broke down to its core of what happened. Its a sad situation for any teams fans. Not 1 that the fans should be put in. But no matter what team it happened to. They know the rivals especially are gonna pile it on. So are the media and many other team fans.

Some fans will cheer it because its almost karma.

Some will call for revenge "serve Brees head on a platter"

Some will cheer because its just a rival team

The media will cheer because its a big time story to get big time hits.

But its cool even Saints fans know, if it was us. They would be singing a different song then they are now. That also shows they dont believe in the song they sing now.

Guest Dtan. Man with a Plan

Of course not.

"Saintsreport" is the biggest collection of deluded homers on the internet, save "TATF"

Of course we'd pile on for awhile. but I'd like to think we'd also let the true Falcon fans off the hook. As for the idiots who showup with kindergarden approaches, I'd never let them off.

Been my point all along. We can't control the actions of the teams, but we are so joined at the hip to our teams its impossible to not take some it hard.

Of course we'd pile on for awhile. but I'd like to think we'd also let the true Falcon fans off the hook. As for the idiots who showup with kindergarden approaches, I'd never let them off.

Been my point all along. We can't control the actions of the teams, but we are so joined at the hip to our teams its impossible to not take some it hard.

A bit of what SR said, mainly concerning kindergarten approaches. Seriously, it's sad when a 28 year old man asks a said question, you and others kindly take your time to answer the question because he keeps visiting your profile like 20 times a day, then runs off and whines how he wishes people would stop answering his questions with lame responses (instead of just telling those directly to leave him alone, like an adult). :D

But, anyhow, enough with that. As for true fans, we have no control over what our team or players do.

-edit- Adding a bit more, saying that I wouldn't rub it in if the Falcons had this happen to them. I'm not that kind of person, and I prefer to put myself in other people's shoes. I just don't see a point in rubbing stuff in, the fans did nothing wrong.

Edited by LadyCyanide

quotes like these are why its hard to defend a falcon fan for anything

The question can only be answered based on IMO what the Falcons allow Matt Ryan to do in 2012. I think that if Koetter truly is the guys that Smitty promised in the presser with him , TD, and Blank before the OC and DC hiring that he was looking for an OC that matched Matt Ryans skill set than if that is the case Matt will be better than all three if that is not the case and Koetter and Matt are not a match than Matt will not come close to being better than all three. All though in 2012 i don't see Josh getting any better than what he was in 2010 even with VJax.

quotes like these are why its hard to defend a falcon fan for anything

I do not see anything wrong with what he said.

You do realize Matt Ryan was just as good as Brees in 2010 right?

With a more creative offense Ryan very very easily could put up the best numbers in the division.

I think most of us would get banned (quickly), so it's largely a moot point.

As far as what I would say if I were allowed to post: of course I would dog you about it. It would be good-natured for the most part, but there are always those which deserve wrath and I would see it administered (but honestly, if i ever had any intention of posting here in search of sympathy the post-Katrina offseason killed it, mercilessly. The Whodat Nation™'s rivals are largely terrible people, it turns out).

My core beliefs about this matter wouldn't need a single adjustment, I assure you.

However, If the shoe was on the other foot Lombardi-wise, I certainly wouldn't run with the * gag cart blanche in my good-natured trolling, like what's going on in TATF and the Huddle. Such an attack can only be launched by those with the proper ordnance.

Aren't you supposed to be having some fun on the high seas?? Leaving, huh?? That's twice now you've posted a thread to announce your departure, yet here you are...The lure of defending your Saints is brighter than the lure of the wide open blue, eh??

This reponse is utter BS. It is YOU, Ray, that has started all of the threads in which you feel "piled on."... Payton should sue Goodell; DHall wants to crack ribs; Suggs pays fines for good shots;Sapp shut yer piehole, etc...

MOST FALCON FANS would like to see this topic die down here in RC, so we can talk about something else, like the release of the preseason schedule, or the regular schedule, or the draft or FA, but it is YOU, swamper, that continues to post threads that demand replies to.

Falcon fans are not piling on... you are piling on yourselves. We are merely responding to threads YOU post.

Edited by Falconcheff

How was ice just as good as Brees?

Qb rating was better then Brees.

Had a very similar Td ratio (rounded to the whole number each threw a td every 20 passes)

had a MUCH better int ration Ryan had a 1.6 int ratio while brees was over twice that at 3.3

And a MUCH MUCH better Td/int ratio .Ryan was 3/1 Brees 1.5/1

The YPA were actually not that far off either. Only by about a half a yard.

Look at the actual numbers. Ryan was better then some of you yahoo rival fans give him credit for and was every bit as good and actually better in several of areas than Brees

No. But there's a difference between defending a team and accusing them of something.

I've seen every Saints game. I've also watched a majority of the Falcons games since 2009. Neither of these two teams are anywhere close to the dirtiest teams in the league. I would be much closer to believing the Steelers or Ravens were intentionally trying to injure players than the Falcons or Saints.

Reality is, everyone saying the Saints are dirty should go back and watch every single game over Gregg Williams' tenure before throwing out those accusations. Even the game against the 49ers... 0 injuries to the 49ers offense (aside from Ted Ginn, who wasn't touched during his injury), and 0 illegal hits.

But the general public is starting to get back on the Saints' side of this anyway. When the original accusations were thrown out.... ESPN ran a poll on this. Only about 10-15% of the poll was basically behind the Saints. Then last Thursday after the Gregg Williams speech was released... 61% said that was common while 39% said it wasn't. Even Georgia was 61/39. The only states to say it wasn't common was VIkings territory. I wonder why that is.

How was ice just as good as Brees?

Ryan was better than Brees in 2010 IMO if you take the season as a whole. Brees had a terrible stretch during the middle of the season and it was due to two reasons:

1) Absolutely no running game. The Saints' RBs were decimated from the word go. Even in the playoffs against Seattle, the Saints started that game with Reggie Bush and their #7 RB on the year. They finished with Heath Evans as their RB because Bush and the #7 guy got hurt.

2) He injured his knee against the Falcons week 3 (that, along with Pierre Thomas's injury in that game are the reason they kicked the field goal on 1st down in OT rather than trying to center the ball). He played most of the season on a sprained/torn MCL. It led to a lot of bad passes/decisions. I think he finished the year with 22 INTs.

No. But there's a difference between defending a team and accusing them of something.

I've seen every Saints game. I've also watched a majority of the Falcons games since 2009. Neither of these two teams are anywhere close to the dirtiest teams in the league. I would be much closer to believing the Steelers or Ravens were intentionally trying to injure players than the Falcons or Saints.

Reality is, everyone saying the Saints are dirty should go back and watch every single game over Gregg Williams' tenure before throwing out those accusations. Even the game against the 49ers... 0 injuries to the 49ers offense (aside from Ted Ginn, who wasn't touched during his injury), and 0 illegal hits.

But the general public is starting to get back on the Saints' side of this anyway. When the original accusations were thrown out.... ESPN ran a poll on this. Only about 10-15% of the poll was basically behind the Saints. Then last Thursday after the Gregg Williams speech was released... 61% said that was common while 39% said it wasn't. Even Georgia was 61/39. The only states to say it wasn't common was VIkings territory. I wonder why that is.

Just because another player does not get hurt it does not mean the intent was not there and it was not dirty.

Just because another player does not get hurt it does not mean the intent was not there and it was not dirty.

That's like saying that when you find a nice car in the middle of nowhere with the keys in the ignition and you leave it be or notify authorities that your intent was not there to steal it. The thought crossing your mind does not make it wrong if your actions are right.

There's 3 years of video evidence of the Saints' actions. Just about every play that is shown on TV is a legal hit. 19 teams were fined more than the Saints in 2009 and 11 were fined more in 2010. Saints are also near the bottom of the list over those 3 years in causing injuries to opposing offensive players.

it wouldnt be any worse on RC for falcon fans as it is for saints fans right now.

That's complete fuggin ********!

There would be thread after thread of nothing but Falcons bashing, with you leading the charge. You have admitted to as much in other threads. It would be you, PP, Van, Horn, Resse and Yardbird with some outside ribbing from Dago, St.Ray and JB throwing in.

I have only noticed one RC regular that has started multiple threads about this and we all know who I'm talking about. By contrast there have already been threads, basically blaming the Falcons for the Saints actions, PP's 'Word on the street' thread comes to mind.

Edited by dirtydealin5858

And so much for people thinking that it's ONLY Saints fans defending the Saints:

Kjcoc.png

The media is making a killing off of the story so it won't stop. We won't hear the end of it during games either... even in games that don't involve the Saints.

That's like saying that when you find a nice car in the middle of nowhere with the keys in the ignition and you leave it be or notify authorities that your intent was not there to steal it. The thought crossing your mind does not make it wrong if your actions are right.

There's 3 years of video evidence of the Saints' actions. Just about every play that is shown on TV is a legal hit. 19 teams were fined more than the Saints in 2009 and 11 were fined more in 2010. Saints are also near the bottom of the list over those 3 years in causing injuries to opposing offensive players.

That analogy is so far from left field it not even funny.

Just because you go high on someone it does not mean you are going to give them a concussion.

Likewise just because you go low it does not mean you are going to blow out a knee.

no its like you want to steal a car and tried as hard as you could, but you suck at stealing cars and run onto a ditch a hundred yards down the road.

you didn't get it but you tried

the saints tried to hurt em, but they suck so much they couldn't do it right. intentions count

I do not see anything wrong with what he said.

You do realize Matt Ryan was just as good as Brees in 2010 right?

With a more creative offense Ryan very very easily could put up the best numbers in the division.

he'll have the 3rd best numbers in the south ans could very very easily have the worst

Edited by FREE Payton

He had the 2nd best numbers in the NFCS last season. But you see him slipping a bit and Cam rising up I guess?

I'd put Ryan as the third best qb in the division last season. 4,700 yards, 35 TD....was the 2nd best. Before you knock his turnovers, keep in mind, Ryan, in a new system that allows him to take more risks, and chances, will probably have more turnovers than Falcon fans are used to seeing from him.

I'd put Ryan as the third best qb in the division last season. 4,700 yards, 35 TD....was the 2nd best. Before you knock his turnovers, keep in mind, Ryan, in a new system that allows him to take more risks, and chances, will probably have more turnovers than Falcon fans are used to seeing from him.

You'd be wrong

:lol: at adding rushing and passing numbers together.

the reason we "knock the turnovers" Is because Newton had them at a **** near alarming rate

When you turn the ball over 20 times a year you better be scoring at AT LEAST twice that rate.

Something Newton has not done.

Over the last half of the season Newton only averaged less then 200 a game and had **** near as many turnovers as Tds.

In other words the league started to figure him out. Now the league has a full season worth of film and a full off season to prepare for him