Without Ovie M.

razrtalon

CA61D2DA2313439695083AAA19038D57.jpg

-

http://mobile.thefalcoholic.com/2012/4/7/2926701/how-the-atlanta-falcons-change-without-ovie-mughelli

Mughelli is thought by many to be one of the premier blocking fbs in the league. He is certainly paid like he is. Coming off another injury an aging Ovie is facing released status. Maybe he goes to a rival team?. . . To clear cap and many will say at his age and the direction the falcons are trying to go in a passing league its the best move. What will the falcons offense look like without him?

Edited by razrtalon

A torn Mcl. Lots of time to recover. I hope he can resign but I just don't see it. I don't think snelling is the power blocker or any of our tight ends. I think we could use ovie on those fourth and inches plays!

His knee will be fine. It's mostly how much he is costing that is really hamstringing the Falcons. I'd like to see him back and I'd also like to re-do the 4th and 1s against the Giants with him in the lineup...

I'm almost positive he will restructure to stay on the team. He loves Atlanta. You can tell by hearing him on 790 or following him on Twitter. He was giving Lofton grief on Twitter.

I wasn't sold on keeping him, but he's a team guy, we should really try to restructure.

I'm almost positive he will restructure to stay on the team. He loves Atlanta. You can tell by hearing him on 790 or following him on Twitter. He was giving Lofton grief on Twitter.

I wasn't sold on keeping him, but he's a team guy, we should really try to restructure.

Restructure doesn't = paycut. This is the last year of his deal. It's impossible for him to restructure. He'd have to be cut and sign a new contract which is unlikely to happen. If we cut him after June 1st we save almost 4 mil instead of 3 mil if we cut him now though.

Guest Gritz

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the Falcon's problems in picking up crucial 4th and 1s came after Ovie went out.....

I'm not the Falcon accountant though so I don't know if they can afford him at this point or not.

Snelling is a good all-purpose back but he can't road grade linebackers like Ovie could/can.

Restructure doesn't = paycut. This is the last year of his deal. It's impossible for him to restructure. He'd have to be cut and sign a new contract which is unlikely to happen. If we cut him after June 1st we save almost 4 mil instead of 3 mil if we cut him now though.

Technically, but they could extend him, or cut and re-sign. There are ways around it. I think he wants to stay. If he doesn't, he'll probably go to Jacksonville. He was close to Mularkey.

The most likely scenario in my view is that Ovie will be released after he finishes rehab. If the medical staff figures he's recovered enough to be productive, the Falcons will try to re-sign him to a new, more team-friendly contract that recognizes his age and mileage. They will not re-sign him to a deal anywhere near the current one even if his recovery is 100%. And unless the offer falls below Ovie's 'respect' level, he'll take it without exploring options. Even if he does feel low-balled it would still probably be the best offer he gets.

Bottom line - if the Falcons want him back, I think he'll be back.

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the Falcon's problems in picking up crucial 4th and 1s came after Ovie went out.....

I'm not the Falcon accountant though so I don't know if they can afford him at this point or not.

Snelling is a good all-purpose back but he can't road grade linebackers like Ovie could/can.

This.

But most of our dear posters want to cut him to free up cap space so we can waste another draft pick and try to go pass happy.