Blazer's Mock Draft - What I Think We *should* Do---Not What I Think We Will Do.

2.23: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

Turner is getting up there in age and I have been a proponent of trading him for two years now. Furthermore, Koetter likes to utilize the RB in the receiving game and Turner offers us zilch in that regard. Doug Martin, on the other hand, can do it all. He displays tremendous vision and lateral agility when running the ball while also showing the ability to make a lot of plays in the receiving game.

3.4 (from CLE): Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia

What I did here was trade Michael Turner in order to swap 3rd rounders with Cleveland. According to the trade value chart, the difference between our 3rd rounder and Cleveland's is 85 points, which is equivalent to a top 10 pick within the 4th round. Furthermore, this trade is contingent upon Cleveland taking Blackmon with their first rounder instead of Trent Richardson. If Cleveland can get Blackmon in Round 1, Fleener in Round 2, and then acquire Turner via trade, they will have significantly upgraded their offense and provided McCoy with some talent to really make strides in his 3rd year. For the Falcons, this obviously makes a lot of sense for us as we can move up and draft the all-important nickel CB while also making way for Doug Martin in the backfield. As far as Boykin goes, not only is he a talented cornerback, but he also provides us with some ability in the return game. With the deparature of Weems, we have shown interest in several guys - including Boykin - with return ability. Lastly, Boykin is simply a football player and a true leader. This guy was voted defensive team captain, a recipient of the Leon Farmer Award for his dedication to the strength and conditioning program, and also given a Coaches Leadership award. Oh, and throw in the fact that he is an in-state product. Can he be anymore of a perfect fit for us given our need at CB and PR/KR along with his impeccable character? Sounds like a TD kinda guy to me.

5.22: Adrien Robinson, TE, University of Cincinnati

It wasn't too long ago that this guy was a complete unknown. Now, however, he is beginning to shoot up draft boards and draw interest from around the NFL after his pro day in which he measured in at 6'4, 264 pounds. He also went on to run a 4.54 and post a 40-inch vertical. When you think of Robinson, think of Jimmy Graham---raw with tremendous upside on account of ridiculous athleticism. When thinking of TE's like Graham, Gronkowski, and Hernandez, I honestly think that Adrien Robinson has the potential to go as high as the third despite being a UDFA prior to his pro day. FWIW, the Falcons have scheduled a workout with Robinson, so he is on our radar. Personally, I'd like to see some two TE sets with Robinson and Gonzo. With TE's of that caliber, we can still utilize Koetter's 4-vertical concept in a singleback big formation or singleback big with the TE's split out. Add Doug Martin into the mix along with Julio and Roddy on the outside and WTF can the defense do? Gregg Williams might say "We need to decide..." Nah, brah. The opposing DC needs to decide what the **** he is going to do. However, in the scenario I presented, there is nothing he can do.

Checkmate, b!tches.

6.23: Myles Wade, DT, Portland State

Like Robinson, this guy was a no-name before his pro day. But, due to an outstanding performance, he has guaranteed himself that his name will be called on draft day. The thing I like about Wade is his versatility. I think Nolan will be doing a lot of different things with our defense and Wade will provide him with some flexibility. If Wade isn't there, I am also a bit partial to Henron Fangupo from BYU (was a USC transfer). While Wade possesses size, strength, and athleticism, Fangupo really only possesses size and strength. That's right. Henron has the footwork of a Chinaman who had his feet binded. However, Fangupo engulfs people. He's a big Samoan ******* that can take on double teams with ease, thus allowing Babs and Peters to penetrate up the middle. I love that guy, so if Wade isn't there...Fangupo is my man.

7.22: Kelcie McCray, S, Arkansas State

McCray is about 6'2, 200 pounds and runs in the low 4.5's. It is without question that we need some additional safety depth, so this particular 7th round pick could very well end up on the actual roster rather than the practice squad. McCray's size and athleticism alone makes him a viable special teamer.

7.42: Gino Gradkowski, G/C, Delaware

Gradkowski provides us with some additional depth along the offensive line and has the versatility to play multiple positions. GG is another guy that we have shown interest in.

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Doug Martin reminds me of Ray Rice solid north and south runner with great hands. This will be the year to trade Turner giving that he still has reasonable value.

Maybe take Brandon Washington OG in the Third and let Owens and Franks develop in our Nickle position.

Why do you feel like we should go RB with our first pick??

I'm not high on Boykin, and I really don't think we are going to go after him, and don't feel like we should either..

I still see us drafting after a needs-based approach, especially this year, because TD is counting on our new coordinators to make the real difference next season, so we need to give them the best all around troops to work with - that means we will probably go DT and OL, and maybe DB and LB. But that is another discussion.

I like your last 4 picks, but not so much the first two.. I think we should take the positions of your last 4 picks, and go after these positions earlier - probably DT first, OL/TE in the second/third.

Why do you feel like we should go RB with our first pick??

I'm not high on Boykin, and I really don't think we are going to go after him, and don't feel like we should either..

I still see us drafting after a needs-based approach, especially this year, because TD is counting on our new coordinators to make the real difference next season, so we need to give them the best all around troops to work with - that means we will probably go DT and OL, and maybe DB and LB. But that is another discussion.

I like your last 4 picks, but not so much the first two.. I think we should take the positions of your last 4 picks, and go after these positions earlier - probably DT first, OL/TE in the second/third.

I think Martin makes sense because I don't believe Reyes or Thompson will be there at DT. I also like Martin better than whatever will be left at OL. It also seems as if our FO is more confident than our OL than all of us on the MB are combined.

Additionally, Turner is aging and only has a couple years left in him to provide us (or anyone) with the production that warrants him being a starter. I figure we need to trade him for what we can at this point.

To me, Martin will far and away be the BPA on the board given that Reyes and Thompson are gone. If Thompson is there, however, then I'd prefer him over Martin.

Many people have Doug Martin graded as the second running back in this draft. Most think he will be a late first round pick.

Eh, I don't believe "most think he will be a late first round pick."

The highest I could see Martin going is to the Giants at #32. However, if he gets past NY, he has a great chance of falling all the way to our 2nd round pick when you look at all the teams before us and recognize that they don't have much of a need at RB.

Furthermore, I believe the majority have David Wilson as the #2 back in this draft behind Trent Richardson, of course.

RB with first pick. The last thing we need, stopped reading right there. Epic fail.

It's called BPA. I believe Doug Martin's talent blows away that of all the remaining players at other positions of need, such as DT and OG/OT.

Other areas of need are clearly addressed throughout the rest of the draft.

u mad, bro?

Edited by BlazerFalcon

Not a bad draft. I think our primary needs are LT, DL, but those are generally guys you need to get in the first.

We really need to get a TE, RB who are capable of replacing Turner and Gonzalez next year (while providing rotational play this year) and line help. We can actually get a TE and RB who accomplish the goals, while I don't think the OL, DL guys are going to be there...so they should take OL, DL next year.

So, overall, good concept.

Not a bad draft. I think our primary needs are LT, DL, but those are generally guys you need to get in the first.

We really need to get a TE, RB who are capable of replacing Turner and Gonzalez next year (while providing rotational play this year) and line help. We can actually get a TE and RB who accomplish the goals, while I don't think the OL, DL guys are going to be there...so they should take OL, DL next year.

So, overall, good concept.

Yeah, we seem to be in firm agreement.

That was my entire thought process.

Again, if Brandon Thompson is there, I believe he is the guy we need to draft. I just don't think it's happening.

I like Martin. I think Boykin might slip to the fifth with his injury though, in which case I'd like Brandon Brooks in the third.

I highly doubt Boykin slips from late 2nd/early 3rd all the way to the 5th.

I think it might push him more into being a firm 3rd rather than a possible 2nd, but broken legs are not that big of a deal nowadays. He has a workout in two days, so we will see how he performs then.

Love picking Martin, I've been screaming for this guy for a while now. You can say we have bigger needs and maybe that could be true, but I think he would be a great replacement for Turner immediately as a true 3 down back who can also catch out of the backfield. There are other CB's I'd prefer over Boykin, but I wouldn't be mad if we grabbed him in the 3rd.

Solid picks.