Chevy Volt Takes 27 Years To Start Saving You Money - Gee, Gotta Get 1 Now.

Guest Deisel

Guest Deisel

Email

If you're thinking about buying a fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or otherwise eco-friendly vehicle as a way to save money over time, do your homework — or be prepared to wait.

Buyers who choose Nissan's all-electric Leaf ($28,421) over its approximate gas-powered equivalent, Nissan's Versa ($18,640), will likely wait nearly 9 years until they break even, according to a new report by The New York Times that examines the cost of fuel efficiency.

For drivers of the Chevrolet Volt ($31,767), the wait is even longer— 26.6 years.

A few vehicles begin paying off relatively soon after leaving the dealership. Two hybrids— Toyota's Prius ($23,537) and Lincoln's MKZ ($33,887)— as well as Volkswagen's diesel-powered Jetta TDI ($25,242) all take less than two years before they start saving their owners money.

Check out this chart by the Times that breaks down the savings delay for many popular fuel-efficient models.

The high price tag of many fuel-efficient vehicles — including the Nissan Leaf, which will soon be made in Smyrna, Tenn. — is one reason consumers have yet to embrace them with open arms.

Email

If you're thinking about buying a fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or otherwise eco-friendly vehicle as a way to save money over time, do your homework — or be prepared to wait.

Buyers who choose Nissan's all-electric Leaf ($28,421) over its approximate gas-powered equivalent, Nissan's Versa ($18,640), will likely wait nearly 9 years until they break even, according to a new report by The New York Times that examines the cost of fuel efficiency.

For drivers of the Chevrolet Volt ($31,767), the wait is even longer— 26.6 years.

A few vehicles begin paying off relatively soon after leaving the dealership. Two hybrids— Toyota's Prius ($23,537) and Lincoln's MKZ ($33,887)— as well as Volkswagen's diesel-powered Jetta TDI ($25,242) all take less than two years before they start saving their owners money.

Check out this chart by the Times that breaks down the savings delay for many popular fuel-efficient models.

The high price tag of many fuel-efficient vehicles — including the Nissan Leaf, which will soon be made in Smyrna, Tenn. — is one reason consumers have yet to embrace them with open arms.

*facepalm*

As consumers buy more, costs will go down. It's the same with any new technology. Telling me now that this new tech is expensive is expected... Just like a 50inch flat screen tvs a few years ago were 10k, now they are 2k and sometimes 1k dollars.

Guest Deisel

*facepalm*

As consumers buy more, costs will go down. It's the same with any new technology. Telling me now that this new tech is expensive is expected... Just like a 50inch flat screen tvs a few years ago were 10k, now they are 2k and sometimes 1k dollars.

Oh Yea, Govt run motors is gonna sell Electrics cheaper down the road? When has Govt or Union run anything gone cheaper over time? Also, that was the same thing being said abt trucks and now many are over $50k.

Oh Yea, Govt run motors is gonna sell Electrics cheaper down the road? When has Govt or Union run anything gone cheaper over time? Also, that was the same thing being said abt trucks and now many are over $50k.

What kind of truck costs over 50k? See I don't buy new cars, and the only way I will, will be is because my wife wants a luxury vehicle.

Guest Deisel

What kind of truck costs over 50k? See I don't buy new cars, and the only way I will, will be is because my wife wants a luxury vehicle.

There are quite a few now that run over $50k, specially if you have to pull anything. I will not buy new cars as well. I'll wait a few years and let them come to me.

Guest Deisel

Really? I never heard that. So, electric cars are gonna save the planet? From what? Coal? Seems like we can't produce that either. Govt is shutting down that medium as well. Horse and buggy will be back in style but then you have all the horse sh.t to deal with. Glad to see some of us live in the real world.

Really? I never heard that. So, electric cars are gonna save the planet? From what? Coal? Seems like we can't produce that either. Govt is shutting down that medium as well. Horse and buggy will be back in style but then you have all the horse sh.t to deal with. Glad to see some of us live in the real world.

umm ahhh what?

Yet Tesla Motors, a 9 year old startup of California engineers can get 300 miles off 1 charge. Sorry but it's clear what's really going on here no matter how much you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that it's not. The alliance between major manufacturers, oil companies and politicians is quite clear.

Add in a $7,500 Federal tax credit for purchasing an EV and a $5,000 (or 20%--whichever is less) credit for GA and I can see it evening out a lot faster with Tesla technology that the major manufacturers just can't seem to manage. Do you really believe that?

I seriously wonder if people really are even interested in the truth anymore...

Yet Tesla Motors, a 9 year old startup of California engineers can get 300 miles off 1 charge. Sorry but it's clear what's really going on here no matter how much you want to stick your head in the sand and pretend that it's not. The alliance between major manufacturers, oil companies and politicians is quite clear.

Add in a $7,500 Federal tax credit for purchasing an EV and a $5,000 (or 20%--whichever is less) credit for GA and I can see it evening out a lot faster with Tesla technology that the major manufacturers just can't seem to manage. Do you really believe that?

I really want a tesla... those cars are awesome. I would charge it at night when we have all that extra power. I tried to use the 401k analogy, and that usually gets glossed over. I want Desiel to realize we live in a plutocracy and not a democracy and see what that means.

Guest Deisel

Cap. You expect people to afford a $110k car? Talk abt lunacy. Why not just by a honda? Jesus dude, you are soo far hooked on this conspiracy that technologys being held back although you are touting a $100k car. Oil is here, now, usable, cheap, specially compared to the Tesla. Unless you are super rich, No One is going to buy that and if youre super rich you can afford gas prices as of now.

Cap. You expect people to afford a $110k car? Talk abt lunacy. Why not just by a honda? Jesus dude, you are soo far hooked on this conspiracy that technologys being held back although you are touting a $100k car. Oil is here, now, usable, cheap, specially compared to the Tesla. Unless you are super rich, No One is going to buy that and if youre super rich you can afford gas prices as of now.

What part of major manufacturers not advancing the technology was I unclear "abt"? (maybe that'll get through even though it irks the everloving **** out of me).

I'm "hooked" on it because it's the TRUTH. I know, that 5 letter word is **** inconvenient but it is what it is. I don't give a rip about what is plentiful--I give a rip about what is COST EFFECTIVE!!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

super-frustrated-w-swing-no-power-pulling-too-much-21495198.jpg

*facepalm*

Do you remember when dvd players cost like 500 bucks??

I do.

Now you can pick up a dvd player for what 25 dollars?

Like you said as people buy more and more of the product is produced the price will go down.

I want us to get to the point with technology where all the cars drive themselves. It'll make the roads a lot safer for everybody and it'll make it a lot easier for me to roll my weed while driving.. or not driving, as it were.

This environment looks more conducive to road head as well.

new_benz6.jpg

The alliance between major manufacturers, oil companies and politicians is quite clear.

It'd be nice just to be able to get the extremely fuel efficient diesels that are available in Europe over here, but I don't see that happening any time soon either.

I really want a tesla... those cars are awesome. I would charge it at night when we have all that extra power. I tried to use the 401k analogy, and that usually gets glossed over. I want Desiel to realize we live in a plutocracy and not a democracy and see what that means.

Tesla is great, but not everyone can drop 80- 95k on a car.

Tesla is great, but not everyone can drop 80- 95k on a car.

You can get a Model S for 70k. That said, that's from a 9 year old start up company. Again, I challenge everyone to ask yourself the question: Why haven't the major automobile manufacturers replicated their own version on a larger scale? Tesla advertises upfront that they are a "Premium" car manufacturer. I guarantee you that the major players could mass produce these things for $40k and less. So why don't they?

1) Non gas motors don't breakdown like gas motors do--just a fact. Dealers make most of their profit on the service end.

2) The other area where dealers make a majority of their profit is used cars. If there's a gas alternative available how many people are going to dump $50 a week in their gas tank when they can hook their car up once a week to an outlet in their wall for far less?

3) Gas companies would suffer greatly and their $146,000,000 funneling to politicians would disappear.

The ONLY winners in this deal are the consumers and the actual auto manufacturers...