Rip Jim Marshall

Bummer.

I had a JCM 900 and a JCM 800 that I sold. I'd sure love to own an older 100W head, but I'm set with my Hiwatt.

I'm more of a smaller amp guy, personally, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love a 50 watt JCM800 or Plexi (or both).

For what I play, my tastes and my style, though, a Deluxe Reverb and an 18-Watt Marshall cover a lot of ground. I'm not skilled enough to build a Deluxe Reverb (which is why I bought one), but the 18-Watt circuit is pretty simple. I'm seriously thinking about buying a kit and building the amp, and then putting it in a 1x12 cabinet. The only real question is which speaker to use and which kit to buy.

I'm more of a smaller amp guy, personally, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love a 50 watt JCM800 or Plexi (or both).

For what I play, my tastes and my style, though, a Deluxe Reverb and an 18-Watt Marshall cover a lot of ground. I'm not skilled enough to build a Deluxe Reverb (which is why I bought one), but the 18-Watt circuit is pretty simple. I'm seriously thinking about buying a kit and building the amp, and then putting it in a 1x12 cabinet. The only real question is which speaker to use and which kit to buy.

I'm not familiar with the clones. I would love a small marshall one day, or a Vox, or Dr. Z, or a 5E3 deluxe clone.

A ton of people make them. You can buy a good 18-Watt clone from Retro King or Reinhardt or several other makers. Or you can buy a kit from Mojotone or Metro Amps or Trinity Amps or Ceriatone and build it yourself.

You should seriously consider building a 5e3 if you want one. Very easy circuit to build, and they aren't all that expensive if you shop around for the kit.

A ton of people make them. You can buy a good 18-Watt clone from Retro King or Reinhardt or several other makers. Or you can buy a kit from Mojotone or Metro Amps or Trinity Amps or Ceriatone and build it yourself.

You should seriously consider building a 5e3 if you want one. Very easy circuit to build, and they aren't all that expensive if you shop around for the kit.

I don't know a soldering iron from a circular saw. I'll just buy one, lol.

Do what I did and start with modding cheap pedals. Before you know it, you'll have convinced yourself your SD-1 sounded better before the mods, and that you can surely build an amplifier if you can remove and replace a few resistors and capacitors in a Boss pedal.

BD-2 mod was an improvement, though. I'll say that.

Do what I did and start with modding cheap pedals. Before you know it, you'll have convinced yourself your SD-1 sounded better before the mods, and that you can surely build an amplifier if you can remove and replace a few resistors and capacitors in a Boss pedal.

BD-2 mod was an improvement, though. I'll say that.

I'd like to hear the BD-2 mod. I picked mine up used for $40 and it's my go-to clean boost. I set the volume at 1:00 - 2:00, tone at 11:00, and the gain at 9:00 and it's a killer clean boost on its own and after other dirts for a good volume boost. I use it on its own just as much as my other dirts now.

I'd like to hear the BD-2 mod. I picked mine up used for $40 and it's my go-to clean boost. I set the volume at 1:00 - 2:00, tone at 11:00, and the gain at 9:00 and it's a killer clean boost on its own and after other dirts for a good volume boost. I use it on its own just as much as my other dirts now.

This one makes it more transparent, and better still, it makes it more dynamic. I can pick it softly and it's clean as can be and I can dig in and it gets way dirtier. Very good for pushing an already overdriven amp.

I love this thread because it reminds me of the martian I used to speak when I was heavy into playing in bands and nitting music stores 3 times a week. Its like a whole 'nother language.

"

it's a killer clean boost on its own and after other dirts for a good volume boost."

"Clean boost" = "adds volume to push an amplifier into overdrive, but does not add distortion on its own."

"Dirts" = "dirt pedals," i.e., pedals that DO add distortion on their own.

"Clean boost" = "adds volume to push an amplifier into overdrive, but does not add distortion on its own."

"Dirts" = "dirt pedals," i.e., pedals that DO add distortion on their own.

Oh I know what it means. I just mean to people who don't play it has to sound like complete gibberish.tongue.png Its not a language you speak outside the company of other musicians.