2012 Speculative Offseason

hjerry

This is my next offseason, and quite possibly the last one I will make before the draft. It isn’t crazy, per say, but it’s certainly speculative as it contains some trades. However, I do think that these are trades that are at least within the realms of reason. For example, Grimes has not inked, and we are looking heavily at cornerbacks, so speculation opens the door for trade possibilities. As with the others, I am NOT saying I want this to happen, but merely that it might be interesting if it did. I’m not going to include the already signed FAs into the offseason since they would already be assumed. So, without further ado, let’s start getting speculative, I guess?

Probably not resigned: Mike Peterson, Reggie Kelly, Kirk Chambers, Brett Romberg It is certainly possible for some of these to return (We didn’t think we’d be signing Romberg last year till the last minute), but honestly, I don’t really see it happening.

Cut: Mike CoxThis will depend on a later decision.

Trades:

Brent Grimes (franchised) for a mid 2012 2nd round pick- This scenario assumes that either Kendall Reyes or Jerel Worthy fall to mid 2nd round, allowing us to make a trade that, as stated above, might at least be being considered.

John Parker Wilson for the Vikings 7th round pick – They wanted him during the season so it isn’t implausible that they’d give us essentially a throw-away pick for him.

2012 Dream Draft

2nd: Jerel Worthy or Kendall ReyesHonestly, I don’t know enough about DTs to decide who would be better, but these two are rated as two of the best interior pass rushers.

2nd: Chris Polk RB - Accomplishestwo things: Gives us a future after to replace Turner, and two allows for something else later in this offseason. I love this player, as you might surmise from my other drafts and think he will be great in the NFL, and immediately compete for, but not win, a starting spot.

3rd: The best NCB available - It will depend on who is there, but there are a lot of good options this year. Boykin, Johnson, take your pick. We could even reach for Omar Bolden who is coming along nicely since his injury and was a previous 1st round projection. Franks can take over on the outside.

5th: Myles Wade NTThe 5th might be a reach for a player that NFLdraftscout thinks will go undrafted, but we took Bierman and Meier there and they were the same. It would give us freedom to run the 3-4, but not put tremendous pressure on him to start day one.

6th: Brandon Hardin S Oregon St.Would have been much higher if we hadn’t injured his shoulder before the season. He has experience at all DB positions so he would be useful. He is also fast and very strong. He was a gunner on special teams so he would help to replace Weems.

7th: Austin Davis QB So. Miss.Or some other QB. We need a backup and are apparently interested in him. It’d be crazy if he somehow turned out to another Farve (doubt it).

7th: Vikings – David Paulson TEHe improved greatly at his pro day and has great hands for clutch catches. He was horribly underutilized at Oregon but has a lot of sleeper potential. I think he might surprise. It seems a little late to take a TE but it’s just how it turned out and we will probably take one next year also.

7th: Cordarro Law DE So. Miss. He’s kind of a DE/OLB tweener, but has a great motor. He might very well go undrafted but this locks him up for us as depth at little cost.

UFA: Neiko Thorpe, FS, Auburn, Josh Chichester, TE, Louisville, Al Netter, OT, Northwestern, Justin Anderson, OT/G, Georgia, Darell Scott, RB, So. Fl

Restructures: Michael Turner, Ovie MughelliHaving Polk and Rodgers for Turner, and Cox and Snelling for Mughelli, gives us the leverage to alter their deals some so they can remain on the team. Both are signed to 1yr, 1mil extensions, and in exchange have their 2012 salaries guaranteed. Turner moves 2mil from 2012 and 2013 to 2014, adjusting his cap hits to 5, 5.5, and 5. Mughelli moves 1.5mil to 2013, adjusting his cap hits to 2 and 2.5. The two moves gives us an additional 3.5mil in cap space, which together with the Grimes trade, gives us 15.7mil in cap space.

FA: Marcus McneilThe loss of Grimes gives us the cap space to sign him, nothing too exorbitant much certainly worth the risk.

I’m still using mostly NFLDRAFTSCOUT and Walterfootball for my stock rankings.

Edited by hjerry

I'd rather not have any more sub-300 DTs. We need a big DT imo, so if my only choices are Worthy vs. Reyes, I'd go Worthy.

Honestly, for the purpose of this draft, I don't really mind it being someone else, just whoever the best pass rushing DT is at that point. I just kind of figured from who we've looked at, that those would probably be the options. If you have someone better and heavier that would be worth a pick in the mid 2nd round, I would love the input.

Edited by hjerry

would rather have Doug Martin in the 2nd over Polk

I don't dislike Martin, and would not be upset if we got him. It's just that I've really fallen in love with Polk as a player, and I think he'll really surprise when he gets to the NFL. Right now a lot of analysts are saying that they think Polk will be a much better NFL RB than he was a college RB.

Edited by hjerry

Honestly, for the purpose of this draft, I don't really mind it being someone else, just whoever the best pass rushing DT is at that point. I just kind of figured from who we've looked at, that those would probably be the options. If you have someone better and heavier that would be worth a pick in the mid 2nd round, I would love the input.

2nd Rounders:

Almaeda Ta'amu - 6'3 / 337

Brandon Thompson - 6'2 / 310

Josh Chapman - 6'1 / 316

Later Rounders:

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste - 6'2 / 335

Myles Wade - 6'1 / 311

For the second, I'd take Ta'amu first, but if hes gone, then Thompson, then Chapman,

I'm most excited about Wade out of all of these players, so I have no qualms with your choice of him in the fifth (although we could probably get him for a sixth). If Myles is gone, we could get Baptiste depending on who we got in the earlier rounds.

2nd Rounders:

Almaeda Ta'amu - 6'3 / 337

Brandon Thompson - 6'2 / 310

Josh Chapman - 6'1 / 316

Later Rounders:

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste - 6'2 / 335

Myles Wade - 6'1 / 311

For the second, I'd take Ta'amu first, but if hes gone, then Thompson, then Chapman,

I'm most excited about Wade out of all of these players, so I have no qualms with your choice of him in the fifth (although we could probably get him for a sixth). If Myles is gone, we could get Baptiste depending on who we got in the earlier rounds.

See, that's the thing though. I'm talking about an early to mid 2nd round pick, and I get the feeling there would be higher ranked DTs on the board. We could, I suppose, take a higher ranked NCB with the first 2nd and then take a DT with our original, like if somehow Stephen Gilmore somehow fell to the first 2nd and we took Ta'amu with our original.

Edited by hjerry

See, that's the thing though. I'm talking about an early to mid 2nd round pick, and I get the feeling there would be higher ranked DTs on the board. We could, I suppose, take a higher ranked NCB with the first 2nd and then take a DT with our original, like if somehow Stephen Gilmore somehow fell to the first 2nd and we took Ta'amu with our original.

You could possibly just switch your 2nd rounders. Draft a higher RB and a lower DT, get Wilson and Ta'amu or something.

There are so many possibilities though, dude. That's why I can't decide what direction to go on my mock. I mean, this just popped into my head while writing out these last few sentences:

2nd: Jayron Hosley (CB)

2nd: Trumaine Johnson (FS/CB)

3rd: Michael Egnew (TE)

5th: Terrence Ganaway (RB)

6th: Myles Wade (DT)

This, imo, puts us in a very good position to run Mike Nolan's 4-2-5, which has three Safeties and two CBs instead of three CBs and two Safeties, and also puts us in a good position to let Hosely learn behind Franks or Dunta while being put in for the NB spot when it is actually used. Egnew looks like a stud, imo, and will be great after learning from Gonzo. Since RBs are a dime a dozen, and I don't really want to draft another in the second round, Terrence Ganaway looks to be a legit workhorse, imo. I'm hoping we can run by committee with Ganaway/Rodgers/Smith once Turner departs, but if neither Smith or Nance develop, we can draft another small speedster later. Putting all of the chips in the DT spot on Wade is slightly risky, but I believe that Nolan can develop his raw talent. He has an attitude and work ethic that I love.

Of course, I will have enough holes poked into my own draft by tomorrow that I'll be thinking of a completely different route to take. ****, this morning I was set on Thompson or Ta'amu with our second pick. I simply can't decide. But that's all part of the fun, isn't it? biggrin.png