First Lofton, Now Hawthorne Are Saints

SaintRay

Read it and weep Rivals!

David Hawthorne signs with Saints

Posted by Josh Alper on April 3, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT

davidhawthornephiladelphiaeaglesvseattleguuvjrxjnw5l-e1333487715414.jpg?w=237 Getty Images

The Saints linebacking corps is going to look very different next season.

They signed Curtis Lofton earlier this month and now comes word that they have signed former Seahawks linebacker David Hawthorne as well. The team announced that it is a five-year deal via Twitter on Tuesday afternoon. No financial details have been announced.

Hawthorne has started 41 games for the Seahawks over the last three years and finished with more than 100 tackles in all three seasons. He got his first shot in the starting lineup after an injury to Lofa Tatupu in 2009 and did good work inside for the Seahawks, including a career-high three interceptions last season. He first joined the team as an undrafted free agent out of TCU in 2008.

Where he fits with the Saints remains to be seen. Lofton projects to be their starting middle linebacker, but there are certainly openings at the other spots with Jo-Lonn Dunbar signing in St. Louis and no one else really distinguishing themselves last season.

Hawthorne’s arrival makes it seem like the Saints are preparing for life without Jonathan Vilma. Whether that’s because he’s suspended as a result of the bounty investigation or not, Vilma’s days in New Orleans seem numbered.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it it. Good pick up, but I'm sure the dude is a scrub. Why else would he of signed with NO.

I haven't heard anyone say that yet but I really read a post that said the Saints are building the leagues best run D but running the ball is obsolete in the NFL game now so it was basically stupid to sign good run defenders. Can you believe that?

I haven't heard anyone say that yet but I really read a post that said the Saints are building the leagues best run D but running the ball is obsolete in the NFL game now so it was basically stupid to sign good run defenders. Can you believe that?

Well considering that every single Saints fan on RC has been saying that for the last 3 years, yeah I believe it.

Well considering that every single Saints fan on RC has been saying that for the last 3 years, yeah I believe it.

Back that up with a link to every single Saints fans saying exactly that or shut your big fat lying mouth.

Edited by joe horn

Why would Saints fans say that? Our run game has been a factor at least two of the last three years and our run D has been so bad that they've been trying fix it yearly. I can't understand the argument any Saints fan would make that running is obsolete.

Back that up with a link to every single Saints fans saying exactly that or shut your big fat lying mouth.

**** you Horn, I can't possibly link or find every single post.

When we signed Ovie I remember a thread dedicated to the fact that running the ball is obsolete in the NFL. There have been countless posts during the last 4 seasons, downplaying Turner's contributions, because 'The NFL is a passing league'

Christ, last year when you traded for gimpy-limpy in the draft, most of the RCers said he would only be beneficial to run out the clock at the end of games.

When we signed Ovie I remember a thread dedicated to the fact that running the ball is obsolete in the NFL. There have been countless posts during the last 4 seasons, downplaying Turner's contributions, because 'The NFL is a passing league'

Christ, last year when you traded for gimpy-limpy in the draft, most of the RCers said he would only be beneficial to run out the clock at the end of games.

i think Ovies style of FB is getting out dated. Run first offenses are getting out dated.

Yet you still have to have some kind of a run game to keep defenses off balance

First you have to **** yourself for attributing words to every single Saints fan in RC without the ability nor desire to back up such a claim, don't you?

Running the ball isn't obsolete, but it certainly is a passing league. Is that what you were trying to say?

Shanle should definitely be gone. He's due a base salary of 1.75 million this year and a 700k roster bonus. Releasing him would be a 500k cap hit (or 250k this year and 250k next year if they choose that option), but overall would still save upwards of 2.2 million before taking into consideration his replacement's salary cap hit (since top 51 players count vs cap).

This signing is surprising though. I really don't see the Saints releasing Vilma, but that's a very short group of LBs now. Hawthorne, Vilma, and Lofton are all 6'0''. You normally want to have at least one 6'3'' - 6'5'' LB for coverage. Saints presumably have that in Martez Wilson. Maybe they feel Vilma could see a yearlong suspension or that he still has a long way to go from his recovery from knee surgery.

Edited by bradael

I'm guessing that both Vilma and Shanle's career in 'Nawlins have come to an end.

Great pick-up, although I think the Saints have pushed all in for the next 3-4 years, then they should be pretty much in salary cap **** for at least a couple seasons.

I've been reading this in Rivals for the last 2 offseasons. Last year the talk was no way the Saints would resign 25+ free agents, but did. This year it was good luck finding anyone after having to sign Brees, Colston and Nicks.

So what happens....they franchise Brees, sign Colston, Pro Bowler Grubbs replaces Pro Bowler Nicks, then they go out and sign 3 LB's (Lofton, Hawthorne and Chamberlain) and sign a run stuffing DT in Bunkley. All the while everyone knows Brees will resign, its a matter of time.

You really have to be impressed with Mickey Loomis and his ability to get it done year after year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fans really have no clue how the cap really works. If the owner has the cash, it gets done.

I guess I don't see the problems. Your team made no changes and claims to be better?

Hawthorne took over for lofa when he got hurt and has had over 100 tackles since. I take

It with the guy we got off the "elite" falcons team lofton.

i dont know if we will be better or not

i got a good feeling our D will

and it has nothing to do with players we kept

its all M Nolan

Falcons have had good players on D since 08

they were just being used wrong in a soft scheme

He77 I have no clue how good we will be

like i said last week ask me in aug when i see some play on the field

I don't miss 92 but I look back fondly on it because that season produced the first Cowboy super bowl victory of my life.

I'm sure you look back on it fondly too but it probably has more to do with cinderella and poison.

Falcons won 5 games in 92 after beating the Saints in the playoffs in 91

C Miller showed he had a glass knee and J Glanville proved just how crazy he really was lol

thats no cinderella story my friend lol

dude has 250 tackles and 6 sacks in 4 yrs....

yea man

Dome Patrol 2

NOT lol

I love how you selectively spit those stats out. You mentioned solo tackles and forgot to mention combined tackles. Hawthorne averages 4.1 solos/career vs. Spoon at 4.2 solos/career.

Hawthorne has averaged more combined tackles per game in his career than Spoon has per game. And it's not close either.

Spoon hasn't picked off a pass yet, but Hawthorne has 7 picks in the last 3 years, including one for a TD.

Hawthorne has forced 4 fumbles....Spoon has none.

While Spoon has 5 sacks in 2 years, Hawthorne losses out with 6 in three years.

So lol away, but the Saints have improved with this signing.

still i aint saying weep over it Saints fans lol

just way to bold a statement for a team with so many problems imo

Saints signings this offseason according to the PFF Top 25 Players in 2012 Free Agency

Colston - 14

Bunkley - 16

Grubbs - 17

Hawthorne - 19

Lofton - 24

Saints will be ready this year....