Td The Patriot Way Mike Smith The Raven Way

tobyd77

We all here about GM Thomas Dimitroff bringing the Patriot way handbook to the Falcons but we never really here about Mike Smith's Ravens handbook that he may have stashed away in a secret safe in his offense somewhere. Could this be the year that Nolan and Smith bring that thing out and bring that to the Falcons defense in 2012?

Now we have known for Mike Smith and BVG to play around with some of the zone blitzing schemes from time to time but it has never been known to be more then a sprinkle of salt on your hot french fries more or less because of the heavy reliance of the front four to get it done. But does bringing Nolan here indicate that Smitty is now ready to say okay the stage has already been set for you the playbook has some familiar territory that we both were familiar with over in BLT I want you to do your thing and bring the heat. We tried to rely on just the four man front but we need a little more punch.

Will Mike Smith give up the keys to the Bentley and let Nolan drive because of their familiarity with what eachother are capable of on defense or will Mike Smith pull a Josh McDaniels and take the keys back because he is just not as trust worthy of Nolan to allow him that much control.

Stay tuned for the 2012 season to get that answer to a Falcons seat or tv set near you.

This is a piece from an article I found on the Falcons defense from 2011. The link to the article will be down below if you are intersted in reading mre.

Given the backgrounds of both men, I think you all can already figure out what kind of scheme they run in Atlanta. You would think that a man who spent 1999 to 2002 with the Ravens would run a 3-4 defense built around great defensive linemen and pass rushers, but the Falcons aren’t that by a large margin. The Falcons are a 4-3 team that plays sound football and doesn’t take any risks on most downs, but there are a few things that will remind you of the Ravens. Much like the Ravens, the Falcons do bring some interesting blitzes from every angle possible, but it’s not as frequent as the Ravens or other 3-4 teams.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/10/22/2506851/atlanta-falcons-defense-lions

I don't think Mike Smith needs to "give up the keys" so to speak. I just think two great defensive minds are better than one. A fresh perspective can't hurt, and lets face it. Nolan is head and shoulders above BVG. He has a proven track record of coaching NFL DEFENDERS. Our vets and younger guys should both gain from the guy. And like I said, smitty being involved as well can't hurt either.

Mike Smith spent 16 years as a college coach, 4 years as a Ravens coach, and 4 years as a Jags coach. Why do you tag him as a Ravens scheme man?

who worked for who first? #2 where do really really trace Smith's roots back to I can guarantee It sure isn't what he did in college. If you read the article it will tell you where he gets some of the zone blitzing scheme from and brought it to the ATL hmm. Him and Nolan worked there Nolan was a WR coach he was linebackers coach Hmm. If I'm not mistaken MS was on that SB winning team than I'm just saying. It may help that you read the article first you know.

The Ravens ran the 4-3 when Smitty was there.

Well that is all the more reason for him to take on his ravens roots. Marvin Lewis had that defense going and was a genius with those zone blitzing scheme. Him and Nolan are together know their is no excuse the have the ravens itch scratch it.

who worked for who first? #2 where do really really trace Smith's roots back to I can guarantee It sure isn't what he did in college. If you read the article it will tell you where he gets some of the zone blitzing scheme from and brought it to the ATL hmm. Him and Nolan worked there Nolan was a WR coach he was linebackers coach Hmm. If I'm not mistaken MS was on that SB winning team than I'm just saying. It may help that you read the article first you know.

Smitty was the DL coach.