For All The People Saying Our Secondary Would Fall Apart Without Grimes...

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

I love Grimes, so don't look at this thread as a bash Grimes thread, but the Falcons did progressively better against the pass when Grimes was healthy, rather than when he was not. To show this, I took the last 4 games of the season, and the first 4 games of the season.

Weeks 1 - 4 the Falcons faced the 9th(PHI), 26th(CHI), 22nd(SEA), and 16th(TB) ranked passing attacks, and gave up an average of 263.25 yards through the air per game. [18th ranked average]

Week 14-17 the Falcons faced the 1st(NO), 16th(TB), 13th(CAR), and 32nd(JAX) ranked passing attacks, and gave up an average of 249.5 yards through the air per game. [15.5 ranked average]

You might say: "We played against Blaine Gabbert!" but we also played against Drew Brees in that final 4 stretch, and remember in week 3 we let Tavaris Jackson have a career game. I also calculated the ranked average of the passing attacks, and the final 4 weeks had the better average. What does this mean?

Our secondary will not fall apart without Grimes. I love him, and he's a great player but he's almost 30, coming off of double knee surgery, and as a corner that relies on his knees to make plays that's never good. Our secondary was more solid with him gone, and I think while he was gone it motivated everyone else to do better. With that and Nolan, I think the Falcons could have a decent DB core without Grimes. Grimes is a valuable player but he's choking the cap right now, and we could use some draft picks if you haven't noticed. Don't be surprised if you wake up and read that Grimes has been offered for trade.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Grimes, so don't look at this thread as a bash Grimes thread, but the Falcons did progressively better against the pass when Grimes was healthy, rather than when he was not. To show this, I took the last 4 games of the season, and the first 4 games of the season.

Weeks 1 - 4 the Falcons faced the 9th(PHI), 26th(CHI), 22nd(SEA), and 16th(TB) ranked passing attacks, and gave up an average of 263.25 yards through the air per game. [18th ranked average]

Week 14-17 the Falcons faced the 1st(NO), 16th(TB), 13th(CAR), and 32nd(JAX) ranked passing attacks, and gave up an average of 249.5 yards through the air per game. [15.5 ranked average]

You might say: "We played against Blaine Gabbert!" but we also played against Drew Brees in that final 4 stretch, and remember in week 3 we let Tavaris Jackson have a career game. I also calculated the ranked average of the passing attacks, and the final 4 weeks had the better average. What does this mean?

Our secondary will not fall apart without Grimes. I love him, and he's a great player but he's almost 30, coming off of double knee surgery, and as a corner that relies on his knees to make plays that's never good. Our secondary was more solid with him gone, and I think while he was gone it motivated everyone else to do better. With that and Nolan, I think the Falcons could have a decent DB core without Grimes. Grimes is a valuable player but he's choking the cap right now, and we could use some draft picks if you haven't noticed. Don't be surprised if you wake up and read that Grimes has been offered for trade.

Some thoughts...first off when you say a 30 year old corner coming off two knee surgeries is never good, you are correct. Thing is, other teams know this too. That is why it is extremely hard to make a trade concerning a vet. To get anything sustantial in return is even harder.

Your points are well taken. There is this...Grimes makes INTs, and turnovers are one of the leading indicators of success in the NFL. Yards given up per game just aren't all that important unless the other teams uses them to score, or at the very least sustain drives.

The Falcons have recently demonstrated a philosophy that says, we want to win, now. Right now. TD has gone way out of his way and used up tons of cap space on older players. So Grimes is, more than likely, gonna be here for the forseeable future if TD can work out a deal with him.

Yall are making these knee surgeries a bigger issue than they are. Yes, they are his knees and those are the scariest. But the guy didn't tear anything major. He wasn't on crutches. He's fine. I don't think TD resigning his guys is a win now move. It's just a smart move. Why would he let them walk and who would he have replaced them with? We have a very good starting 22. Nobody available was going to be better than Abe or Grimes.

He's 28 TODAY and has had ONE KNEE SURGERY, a scope! So quit acting like the guy is Dunta Robinson and had his ENTIRE KNEE replaced. I get that you don't want Grimes to kill the cap, but what that also tells me is that you are OK with losing and not going to battle with your best players. Yeah, Franks and Owens are decent, but on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best) they both total an 8 in my opinion while Grimes is at least an 8 all by himself. I'm so glad fans have NO SAY SO on how the FO makes its moves. You guys are clueless!! Yes, Im talking about YOU!

^ over react much?? If and only if we can get an early second late first for.grimes than that wouldn't be such a bad thing, goin to a more physical defense with more.bump and run D( Wich we have the corners for) makes.Grimes expandable, can he play man YES he can. It's Bump n Run that is prob. His weak point. Nothing wrong with that, but with physical homo n run corners.in frabks Owens and Robinson, grimes is expanable for the right price.

Guest Negatorris

He's 28 TODAY and has had ONE KNEE SURGERY, a scope! So quit acting like the guy is Dunta Robinson and had his ENTIRE KNEE replaced. I get that you don't want Grimes to kill the cap, but what that also tells me is that you are OK with losing and not going to battle with your best players. Yeah, Franks and Owens are decent, but on a scale of 1-10 (10 being best) they both total an 8 in my opinion while Grimes is at least an 8 all by himself. I'm so glad fans have NO SAY SO on how the FO makes its moves. You guys are clueless!! Yes, Im talking about YOU!

So you're saying if we traded Grimes we would start losing? BS. Grimes was not a huge beneficial to us losing or winning any games last year, save the Lions game where he shut down Megatron. We went 2-2 in the first 4 games, and 3-1 in the last 4.

How can u justify a whole secondary stats on one player??? That doesnt pprove grimes abssence made the team better..

Next brent is 28yrs old and wnt turn 29 till july... Namdi is older and got a big contract so idk why yall go after the age thing...

corners aren't nearly as important as defensive tackles, defensive ends, or safeties. that's a fact jack. in fact it might be the most overrated position in the sport of foobaw.
LMAO wow go sit down somewhere with that statement... If you think having a guy who can cover is overrated is cause your confused...

The reason u think its overratted is cause how rare it is to have a good one... Theres a reason teams spend top 5 picks on CBs.. CBs DEs are valualed the same where as LTs and QBs are the highest valued positions...

Dnt forget you need ppl to stop WRs, thats wat corners are for...

^ over react much?? If and only if we can get an early second late first for.grimes than that wouldn't be such a bad thing, goin to a more physical defense with more.bump and run D( Wich we have the corners for) makes.Grimes expandable, can he play man YES he can. It's Bump n Run that is prob. His weak point. Nothing wrong with that, but with physical homo n run corners.in frabks Owens and Robinson, grimes is expanable for the right price.
question... How can you say he struggles at bump n run if you never saw him do it????

Guest TheIdowu

Yall are making these knee surgeries a bigger issue than they are. Yes, they are his knees and those are the scariest. But the guy didn't tear anything major. He wasn't on crutches. He's fine. I don't think TD resigning his guys is a win now move. It's just a smart move. Why would he let them walk and who would he have replaced them with? We have a very good starting 22. Nobody available was going to be better than Abe or Grimes.

Guest TheIdowu

question... How can you say he struggles at bump n run if you never saw him do it????

I keep asking this same question myself, but I never get an answer. . . . . . !!!!!!!!!! I am baffled!

I keep asking this same question myself, but I never get an answer. . . . . . !!!!!!!!!! I am baffled!

its amazing the stuff ppl mmake up to try n justify trading or getting rid of grimes.. "he's to short" " cnt tackle" "cnt play bump n run" "he's 30yrs old" i mean just ludacris man LOL

Guest TheIdowu

its amazing the stuff ppl mmake up to try n justify trading or getting rid of grimes.. "he's to short" " cnt tackle" "cnt play bump n run" "he's 30yrs old" i mean just ludacris man LOL

I am honestly beginning to think many fans repeat what they hear other fans say, what they hear on the radio or tv, or conjure up some wild fantasy in their minds that makes no sense whatsoever. According to this board (if our FO listened to them) dude we wouldn't have a team to field every week. I have seen Ryan, Turner, White, Grimes, Abe, Decoud, Robinson, Smith, TD, Ovie, Snelling, Blalock, Mcclure, TG, Owens, Nicholas all either cut, traded, or fired, or waived. IT is absolutely unbelievable. It gets so silly around here we have people saying stuff like "Miles Austin is a lot better than Roddy White. Let's get him." I'll never forget that one.

first the idowue i go off my own knowledge and what ive seen when i make a statement. Grimes has nvr been physical enough to play bump and run so it was rarely played, he has tried playing bump before and he failed at it, can he play man coverage yes he can, but not being physical in the LOS like the other corners we have, theirs a reason we played more Bump n Run they weeks grimes wasnt playing.

the love for a player, namely Grimes is incredible, people need to learn players can be expandable, love the team not a single player.

Guest TheIdowu

Again, not a Grimes fan but I would not really want to go into game one without him.

I cannot respect the fact that you aren't a fan of Grimes. We all know you are an undercover Aint anyway.

Edited by TheIdowu

Guest TheIdowu

first the idowue i go off my own knowledge and what ive seen when i make a statement. Grimes has nvr been physical enough to play bump and run so it was rarely played, he has tried playing bump before and he failed at it, can he play man coverage yes he can, but not being physical in the LOS like the other corners we have, theirs a reason we played more Bump n Run they weeks grimes wasnt playing.

the love for a player, namely Grimes is incredible, people need to learn players can be expandable, love the team not a single player.

well agree to disagree

His surgery wasn't even major. He was back after 3 weeks... Yes 3 weeks was too quick as he had to sit out of the playoffs, but he did it for a team that needed him to play to make the playoffs. He will be 100% come this season.

I look at it this way. Your knees are more important than your thumbs. Cutler had season ending thumb surgery, Grimes had season setback knee surgery... If Grimes' injury was remotely dangerous to his permanent health, he would have been out for the rest of the season like Cutler.

Guest TheIdowu

Not a fan of his, but I like his production. Dislike seeing our CB getting dragged, pushed around, and looking like an anorexic smurf.

Yep, aint fan!

So you're saying if we traded Grimes we would start losing? BS. Grimes was not a huge beneficial to us losing or winning any games last year, save the Lions game where he shut down Megatron. We went 2-2 in the first 4 games, and 3-1 in the last 4.

That's EXACTLY what Im saying! 16 games with Owens or Franks on the outside is one of the scariest thoughts I have ever had! You seem to have amnesia about how important he was to our season. Think back to the 4 times per game he was thrown at. That means, he almost shut down an entire side of the field. When you do that, you limit the offenses playbook. And THATS how you get a W on defense! Our defense only lost 2 games if you ask me! The other losses were definitely on the offense. Know what you're talking about before you open your mouth!