With Dirk And Nolan In Town?

The O.D.B

Just remembering some of the last season tonight. It occurred to me that through the season when we were crying like stuck puppies to MM "Please stop being so predictable" there were a few occasions when it seemed like he was listening. One such showing that comes to mind was in the 1st half of the GB game where I saw a hand full of new plays that iMO bordered on genius, and we walked down the field several times. On the D side BVG threw plenty of pressure at Rodgers (Nolan style) and the champs were on the ropes and looking helpless and breathless. So, my question to you is, with Dirk and Nolan in town is there a possibility that these short potent bursts were a preview of what our team will look like this year? I don't want to say GSOT 2 but, I've thought....eh...maybe...

Hopefully, Dirk doesn't run into the same paper shortage MM did when writing out the game plan, it would be nice to see more than just a 2 quarter tease followed by....well.......u no..

Thoughts??

Just remembering some of the last season tonight. It occurred to me that through the season when we were crying like stuck puppies to MM "Please stop being so predictable" there were a few occasions when it seemed like he was listening. One such showing that comes to mind was in the 1st half of the GB game where I saw a hand full of new plays that iMO bordered on genius, and we walked down the field several times. On the D side BVG threw plenty of pressure at Rodgers (Nolan style) and the champs were on the ropes and looking helpless and breathless. So, my question to you is, with Dirk and Nolan in town is there a possibility that these short potent bursts were a preview of what our team will look like this year? I don't want to say GSOT 2 but, I've thought....eh...maybe...

Hopefully, Dirk doesn't run into the same paper shortage MM did when writing out the game plan, it would be nice to see more than just a 2 quarter tease followed by....well.......u no..

Thoughts??

The first 2 possessions against the Packers couldn't have been gameplanned any better and the Falcons actually executed on offense and we had 2 touchdowns and a 14-0 lead and we looked completely unstoppable on offense and then that was it. We may have gotten 5 first downs the rest of the game. That's why I'm not crying one bit about losing Mularkey.

The first 2 possessions against the Packers couldn't have been gameplanned any better and the Falcons actually executed on offense and we had 2 touchdowns and a 14-0 lead and we looked completely unstoppable on offense and then that was it. We may have gotten 5 first downs the rest of the game. That's why I'm not crying one bit about losing Mularkey.

This^

That was the only time MM changed it up and we were finally the offense we were capable of being. Too bad it only happened for a half. It was like he said "Ok, you guys have had your fun. Now back to reality". The problem with MM was that if something worked, outside of running the ball, he would rarely go back to it. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yet, if a play works for Payton, he will run it again the very next play.

I won't say that is what I am expecting from Koetter, but I am definitely expecting a very good defense from Nolan. Koetter will let Ryan do what he likes to do, which will help the offense break out more. Too much talent to be held to 1 TD games.

This^

That was the only time MM changed it up and we were finally the offense we were capable of being. Too bad it only happened for a half. It was like he said "Ok, you guys have had your fun. Now back to reality". The problem with MM was that if something worked, outside of running the ball, he would rarely go back to it. Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Yet, if a play works for Payton, he will run it again the very next play.

I won't say that is what I am expecting from Koetter, but I am definitely expecting a very good defense from Nolan. Koetter will let Ryan do what he likes to do, which will help the offense break out more. Too much talent to be held to 1 TD games.

Bingo! I always wondered why we didn't repeat plays that worked that well. We seemed to forget about them. When plays didn't work well..............we'd come right back to them over and over. How come Smitty didn't recognize this and put his foot down. You don't think for a minute that Koetter or Nolan could be in store for the head coach position down the line if Smith doesn't continue to shine? Blank is an experienced millionaire business man and this theory wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Edited by bob_d