Saints Anger Misplaced

Trouble

The "Free Sean Payton" shirts are starting to pop up en masse across New Orleans and elsewhere.

Jimmy Buffett wore one at a concert. It just happened to be at concert where Payton was playing the bongos. Nothing like a little music to ready you for your appeal to Roger Goodell.

To say that Saints fans are angry is an understatement. To say that anger is misplaced is a bigger one.

What the Saints case has done is open a window into the flawed mentality of the fan, in this case, the Saints fan.

Some of it is understandable. The Saints have historically been one of the great laughingstocks in the history of sports. The franchise has at times been ridiculed, disgraced and bag-headed.

What Payton did, in the eyes of Saints fans, was right all of those ugly seasons by winning a Super Bowl. This was also done in the wake of Hurricane Katrina thus you can see why some fans get so incensed and remain loyal to Payton while blaming everyone else around the world.

The problem is Goodell or the media or the whistleblowers (plural) aren't the ones who ignored league rules. They aren't the ones who ignored multiple warnings to stop the bounties. They aren't the ones who misled investigators for literally years. They aren't the ones who misled investigators as recently as a few weeks ago, according to Goodell. They aren't the ones who turned a bounty system that was mostly sporadic into a conveyor belt system designed to injure.

This is all on Payton but because Payton is viewed as a savior by Saints fans and because Bountygate taints the franchise Saints fans need to blame someone, anyone other than the culprits themselves.

And Payton is smart. He is, as he has done before, manipulating the Saints populace. Thus his appearance at a Buffett concert playing the freaking bongos. He knows that Saints fans don't want to believe their heroes did such a thing or they repeat the nonsensical mantra that bounties have existed in the NFL forever. They have, but again, not to this degree. Nothing like what the Saints did has ever existed in the NFL. Ever.

We saw some of this with Spygate. The Patriots, like the Saints, were warned to stop filming. They ignored those warnings. Conscious choice. And then the franchise was hammered and Patriots fans lashed out at everyone except Bill Belichick.

This is a story that can be told across many fan bases and many teams in many different sports galaxies.

This one though, Bountygate, might be the worst cases of fan delusion and misplaced anger ever.

Hopefully in the future Buffett will wear a "Blame the Culprits" shirt.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/18243326/saints-fans-anger-horribly-misdirected

We talked about this in another thread. But While i joke bounty gate, i do feel sorry for true fans who suffered for it and actually feel hurt or let down by their team. They didnt deserve this.

But the media is flat out playing you all. Not for fun or for justice. Its for hits. Controversy sells. Saints fans are falling right into the medias trap and are adding more fuel to the wild fire.

Yes Vick pissed off Falcon fans and it blew up bad for us and the media rubbed our faces in the ground as a franchise. Then only to spit on us with patrino. Then gave us pity for being not even worth negative press, because it couldn't get any worse. We stuck it out and had nothing left to lose or to take from us. To this day Vick haunts us with negative press, every single year.

Until last year we fought back. Like the Saints will this season. The press will fuel the players and make them play harder. It will be the motivation for this season.

But the fans are making it way worse for the franchise. This is actually a thread over there. No lie.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/saints-fans-can-we-do-227566/

Would you contribute to a fund(paypal) that:

We as fans publicly put out a bounty on all QB's that we play against this upcomming season.

Once QB is carted off, the money is then donated to.....NFL Charities!!! Possibly in the name of Def player who made the hit.

I know I know...as a season ticket holder I'm just frustrated and trying to stick my finger at Roger!!

Its sad when Falcon fans are telling you all to chill. Saints fans come here to post reason, yet the saints boards are filled with insanity. Then they wonder why the media is eating this up.

I can't wait for the draft. Maybe it'll give us a break from these damned threads already.

Did the title mislead you? When its clear what the thread is about and you need a break from the subject. Dont read that thread. Its not like i labeled it "Saints" and that was it. You had the choice to just over look this thread.

These threads wont stop as long as Saints fans keep feeding the media. ironic isn't it. Saints fans are sick of the media, yet keep fueling it.

As Goodell said "We have 32 clubs. We have rules in the league. And when rules are violated for three consecutive years and they deny it, there are going to be consequences," Goodell said, noting he'd talked to "dozens" of players in the last few weeks. "That's the way it works. We have fans in 31 other markets that want to make sure the game is played the right way. I know the fans in New Orleans get frustrated by what happened, and I understand that, but they also want the game played the right way, and we're going to ensure that."

I'm didn't read the thread. I'm tired of this dead horse and I have spent alot less time here than I usually do.

So you came into this thread to say you didnt read it. Come on man. The purpose was not to hate on the situation but rather to suggest saints fans stop fueling the media about it. The more they fight, the more the media posts.

Like i said. Its bad when falcon fans are telling saint fans to move on and just except it. They know they will get wragged about it. Nothing can change that. Ask the pats about spygate. But if they dont stop adding fuel to the fire, its never gonna die down and its gonna be here and a hot subject leading into the season. Its already safe to say the media is gonna be on this even during the draft.

Nah. I'll be around. The draft will be fun and then the impending panthers winning the south threads will start and then training camp will be around the corner. I actually find you quite funny sycola.

How did you know?

Nah. I'll be around. The draft will be fun and then the impending panthers winning the south threads will start and then training camp will be around the corner. I actually find you quite funny sycola.

biggrin.png

Mike Freeman was fired for lying on his resume and was also the guy who said the Falcons should have tried to purposely injure Drew Brees in the Monday night game last year when he broke the record. He's a POS that's only writing this article for clicks.

It's the media's take on these allegations that are misplaced. Not once has any shred of evidence been shown that the Saints intentionally tried to injure players. Even if you do a curve based on where the Saints rank in any roughness category over the last three years... whether it be penalties, fines, or injuries caused, they wouldn't be anywhere outside the norm at all.

It would really look something like this if there was any truth to the allegations that the Saints intentionally tried to injure anyone:

ub.png

That's a graph of online poker players' winnings/losings. That yellow dot is the guy who used a program to see other players' hole cards. This is actually how he ended up getting caught.

But if you do a curve based on the punishment they received... it's so far past anything any team or coach has ever received probably in any professional sport and it's based on allegations that have never, and will never, be proven. It's Goodell's opinion. And personally I don't even think he believes the Saints intentionally tried to injure anyone with this system. He's only using it to try to save the NFL billions of dollars in the 300+ pending lawsuits that claim the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

Edited by bradael

Not once has any shred of evidence been shown that the Saints intentionally tried to injure players. Even if you do a curve based on where the Saints rank in any roughness category over the last three years... whether it be penalties, fines, or injuries caused, they wouldn't be anywhere outside the norm at all.

... it's so far past anything any team or coach has ever received probably in any professional sport and it's based on allegations that have never, and will never, be proven. It's Goodell's opinion. And personally I don't even think he believes the Saints intentionally tried to injure anyone with this system. He's only using it to try to save the NFL billions of dollars in the 300+ pending lawsuits that claim the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

ARrrrgggghhh....ok... this is the same mentality that says "I choose to ignore a mandatory evacuation order, but then when things go wrong... why are people looting, why are the police overreacting, where are the buses to get me out of here?

Soon, it will become clear... the rest of the NFL is ready to move on and try to find reasons and strategies to beat the Saints. The Saints are moving on and making moves to stop that from happening. Their fans are just getting their "why me?" defense in motion. I get it.

ARrrrgggghhh....ok... this is the same mentality that says "I choose to ignore a mandatory evacuation order, but then when things go wrong... why are people looting, why are the police overreacting, where are the buses to get me out of here?

Soon, it will become clear... the rest of the NFL is ready to move on and try to find reasons and strategies to beat the Saints. The Saints are moving on and making moves to stop that from happening. Their fans are just getting their "why me?" defense in motion. I get it.

nice. we finally get some dirt on these guys, and you tie it in with katrina. way to suck the fun out of it

Not quite what he said. He ****** up because the lyrics are correct and to bring in the Vorhees analogy is just plain stupid when it is correct. But then again you are superswamper enough said...

Anger he smiles towering in shiny metallic purple armor

Queen Jealousy, envy waits behind him

Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground

Blue are the life-giving waters taken for granted

They quietly understand

The once happy turquoise armies lay opposite ready

But wonder why the fight is on

poor wfrdw, its always a good idea to check your **** before you call someone stupid

Edited by FREE Payton

Anger he smiles towering in shiny metallic purple armor

Queen Jealousy, envy waits behind him

Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground

Blue are the life-giving waters taken for granted

They quietly understand

The once happy turquoise armies lay opposite ready

But wonder why the fight is on

poor wfrdw, its always a good idea to check your **** before you call someone stupid

Yeah, he's a mess.

Considering you had to look it up which WFW could have done, try reciting it from memory on a 43 year old song...yes, I should have looked it up but the Vorhees analogy was still stupid! Said the analogy was stupid not the person!

since i dont like music and probaly never heard the song, i had no choice but to look it up when you called someone out.

His analogy fit just fine since you did in fact butcher it