Logic Behind Trading Up For Melvin Ingram.

Creative

If you guys didn't see it, Ingram worked out for the Falcons today. Odd, because he's a projected top ten pick. I was trying to make sense of it.. and actually came up with a lot of reasons it makes sense.. hear me out.

• We didn't overpay for Mario at DE.
  • Haven't resigned Grimes yet.
  • Nolan values a pass rush more than CB's.
  • We already have tons of money invested in Dunta, who will perform better in a man scheme.
  • Franks was mildly impressive last season.
  • Ingram and Abraham are both very athletic, also both attended South Carolina.

NOT saying it will or I want this to happen, just throwing it out there. Guessing Grimes + a 3rd would give us a Top 10 pick if Ingram was available.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheIdowu

Yea, there is something to be said of the Falcons working out a projected top ten pick when our first pick is at 55. INTERESTING indeed.

I thought Nolan was a CB guy, actually. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I'm not in favor of paying a CB huge money (10m/yr). I'd rather reinvest that money into the trenches.

I'd have liked to draft a CB with our 2nd/3rd (such as Trumaine Johnson), developed him behind Grimes for a year, let Grimes walk, then let the draft pick + Franks take over (unless Dunta improves dramatically, we should cut him), and maybe draft a CB in the first round next year (such as Mathieu) considering the talent at CB that should be in the draft next year. Then, I'd have used the freed up cap space from the walking of Grimes and the cutting of Dunta to invest into the trenches. They'd be young, but I have confidence in Nolan.

BUT, I like the idea of getting something for Grimes even more. Our 2nd + Grimes = Melvin, pick up Trumaine in the 3rd, pick up Baptiste in the 5th and get an athletic TE in the 6th, or pick up Myles Wade in the 6th and pick up an athletic TE in the 5th. We have our strong fatty in the middle, our future stud DE, our future CB, and our future TE playing behind TGonz.

I haven't thought this over very much though, considering this situation has only just been revealed as a possibility.

Edited by Sven

I could be wrong about Nolan.. but I'm 90% sure I read something where he blatantly speaks of how critical pass rush is in comparison to coverage. Doesn't matter honestly, it's all speculation. Ingram/Johnson/Baptiste/tight end is something to drool over though haha.

Being a former team Brandon Graham member I'm not for trading up to get a DE.

If Nolan can develop some of the talent we have or use them to thier strengths then plenty of teams will want to trade us good picks for our guys thus perpetuating the cycle of pulling in talent training it up and trading what we can. round and round we go.

If we somehow trade grimes for a early pick, does the 10 mil still count against our cap, or can we use it to sign some free agents to bolster our depth charts

We wouldn't pay anything.

Grimes isn't going anywhere. He is our best pass defender.

Agree that he is, but I'm just trying to put the pieces together here lol.

I'm indifferent about the whole situation. It is weird we worked out someone of Ingram's projection.

I'm really confused as well. Ingram is projected to go in the 7-14 range, and the only teams that I can think of in that range who could use a corner of Grimes's caliber are Carolina and Buffalo. I can't see us trading with Carolina, and Buffalo is almost certain to draft someone on offense with their first round pick.

This would make a little more sense to me if there was a team sitting there that needed a #1 CB... we could offer like Grimes and another pick... but I just don't get this given the current draft board situation. Maybe there's some kind of crazy three-team trade in the works?

Ingram is the ultimate gadget player on defense, but that's the problem. His athleticism and lack of size make him a high priority, but without a true position. For a hybrid defense, he would seem perfect.

I'm not sure if he'll fall. His arms are really short and he wasn't on anyone's radar before this season, but he is a freak of an athlete. I can't imagine what we would have to give up to move into the top 10-15, but I would think we brought him in just in case he slipped into the late 1st or maybe even early 2nd area.

do not underestimate TD. this is exactly the kind of player we are seeking for the DE/OLB hybrid element that will be introduced this year. this could be TD's Julio on DEF. and it's only possible to jump that high in the draft if we give up a player. many people discounted the JJ rumors last year. just sayin.

If you guys didn't see it, Ingram worked out for the Falcons today. Odd, because he's a projected top ten pick. I was trying to make sense of it.. and actually came up with a lot of reasons it makes sense.. hear me out.

• We didn't overpay for Mario at DE.
  • Haven't resigned Grimes yet.
  • We already have tons of money invested in Dunta, who will perform better in a man scheme.
  • Franks was mildly impressive last season.
  • Ingram and Abraham are both very athletic, also both attended South Carolina.

NOT saying it will or I want this to happen, just throwing it out there. Guessing Grimes + a 3rd would give us a Top 10 pick if Ingram was available.

Nolan is a DB guy all the way, so when you say he value's the pass rush more than CB's I dont agree. He uses DB's a lot to contribute to the pass rush as well.

And for Grimes he is worth a late 1st round pick, but I just don't see him getting traded he is to valuable in pass coverage, which Nolan stressed during the first interview as a DC for us.