Blank: Matt Ryan Ready For Next Step

clownorg

Blank: Matt Ryan ready for next step

By Pat Yasinskas<p class="mod-content">Sometime this week, Arthur Blank and Matt Ryan will get together. It’s something the owner of the Atlanta Falcons and his quarterback do every offseason.

It’s nothing overly formal and shouldn’t be looked at as Ryan’s performance review -- that’s done by the coaching staff and general manager Thomas Dimitroff. This meeting is generally more about Blank and Ryan discussing the state of the franchise, and that means they’ll also touch on Ryan’s development.

At the NFL owners meetings last week, I asked Blank for a summary of what he plans to discuss with Ryan and if he has any specific message for his quarterback.

“He’s grown as a quarterback,’’ Blank said. “He’s grown as an individual. He’s obviously a great team leader. People recognize that and identify with him. He’s exactly what you would want in the CEO of a business. He’s the first to work and the last to leave. He works the hardest and studies. He provides all kinds of leadership on and off the field. I’m thrilled where he is.’’

It’s one thing to be thrilled, but I don’t think Blank, Ryan, the coaching staff and front office are satisfied with what the Falcons accomplished last season. Although Ryan had the best statistics of his career, the Falcons went 10-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. They have yet to win a playoff game since the arrival of Ryan and coach Mike Smith in 2008.

It’s pretty safe to assume that fact will be brought up when Blank and Ryan meet.

“He understands this, that to become an “elite’’ quarterback in the league, you’ve got to win playoff games,’’ Blank said. “Smitty understands that. Thomas understands that. I think we’ve done a remarkable job the last four years considering it took us 42 years to have any back-to-back winning seasons. But there are three seasons in the NFL. There’s a preseason, a regular season and a postseason. We haven’t played well in the postseason. Smitty understands that, Thomas understands that and we need to change that. And Matt certainly understands that as well.’’

I asked Blank what Ryan has to do to take that next step. The owner sounded like he believes his quarterback remains headed in the right direction.

“All the things he’s doing are things he has to continue to do," Blank said. “He has to continue to have humility. He has to continue to be willing to learn and grow. He has to be excited about the opportunity to get better and I think he does all that. I think the worst thing you can see in a leader whether it’s on a football team or in business, is to see someone say 'I’ve gotten as much as I can get and I’ll just keep performing that way.' But you have an opportunity to grow throughout life, professionally as well as personally. I think he has that mentality. It’s not just words with him. He really believes that. We’re fortunate to have him as our franchise quarterback and look forward to a long relationship with him."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go listen to Matt Ryan press conference after Giants playoff loss . He sounded ho hum as can be . Its the typical answers with Matt Ryan . We know he studies hard , we know he wants to get better but in life GOD can only give you so much talent and there are others more blessed with physical skill sets then Ryan is . Thag does not make them better . Jamarcus Russell, Vick others have squandered gods gift with lack of work ethic and drive . Right now we have a great person in Ryan who you dont have to worry about reading in any newspapers or gossip but his talent is limited and some believe ( me) that he does not have what it takes to lead this team to its ultimate goals a championship . We seen it . He is 0-3 in playoffs and doesnt look the part . This will come off as a hate Ryan thread when its not I was one of select few that wanted to draft

but my opinion of him has changed . He no longer has that IT . He doesnt have chip on shoulder other greats do . Its funny fans can call Tony Romo a choke artist but if you utter those words about Ryan excuses start pouring out

“He’s grown as a quarterback,’’ Blank said. “He’s grown as an individual. He’s obviously a great team leader. People recognize that and identify with him. He’s exactly what you would want in the CEO of a business. He’s the first to work and the last to leave. He works the hardest and studies. He provides all kinds of leadership on and off the field. I’m thrilled where he is.’’

“We’re fortunate to have him as our franchise quarterback and look forward to a long relationship with him."

The trolls need to suck on that. Matt ain't going no where.

It's coming. He still has 2 years left. Considering Condon has been pretty busy with Manning, and a ton of other FA contracts, I'm sure it's coming. Don't worry, Swift, your inevitable meltdown is on the way.

Manning has been wrapped up for weeks . His contract is done . Free agency is basically over

Falcons are up against the cap . Where is Ryan ext that would free up some cap and make sure Ryan is here for next 5 to 7 years ?

exactly He has 2 years left . So chances are there will be no Ryan ext

he will then go out and try to lead us to playoff success . If he does this year the Falcons will rework his deal and he will proven he can lead a team in playoffs

or

Ryan fails to lead the team to playoff success . 5 years in and 1 year remaining

Falcons dont want to offer a ext to a QB who cant get it done in playoffs and play out that 1 year knowing they could possibly franchise Ryan if he does lead to playoff success in year 6

so I will keep waiting for front office to give him this ext many believe he was getting to " make him this life long Falcon"

Manning has been wrapped up for weeks . His contract is done . Free agency is basically over

Falcons are up against the cap . Where is Ryan ext that would free up some cap and make sure Ryan is here for next 5 to 7 years ?

he will then go out and try to lead us to playoff success . If he does this year the Falcons will rework his deal and he will proven he can lead a team in playoffs

or

Ryan fails to lead the team to playoff success . 5 years in and 1 year remaining

Falcons dont want to offer a ext to a QB who cant get it done in playoffs and play out that 1 year knowing they could possibly franchise Ryan if he does lead to playoff success in year 6

so I will keep waiting for front office to give him this ext many believe he was getting to " make him this life long Falcon"

I guess while you are waiting for this extension you'll continue to spam this message board with your ********

I asked you yesterday when you are going back to the Aints board. Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere, hopefully you do though kid.

or

While I sure hope he doesn't let Blank, TD, MS or his qb coach down next season.............I'm sure Blank will assured him of a bright future here. If he gets the pass protection he deserves, maybe he'll get back the swagger he showed in the first couple seasons. If he gets flattened again, he would get jumpy just like anyone else would knowing you're about to have your lunch handed to you or crap teeth for the next few days.

go listen to Matt Ryan press conference after Giants playoff loss . He sounded ho hum as can be . Its the typical answers with Matt Ryan . We know he studies hard , we know he wants to get better but in life GOD can only give you so much talent and there are others more blessed with physical skill sets then Ryan is . Thag does not make them better . Jamarcus Russell, Vick others have squandered gods gift with lack of work ethic and drive . Right now we have a great person in Ryan who you dont have to worry about reading in any newspapers or gossip but his talent is limited and some believe ( me) that he does not have what it takes to lead this team to its ultimate goals a championship . We seen it . He is 0-3 in playoffs and doesnt look the part . This will come off as a hate Ryan thread when its not I was one of select few that wanted to draft

but my opinion of him has changed . He no longer has that IT . He doesnt have chip on shoulder other greats do . Its funny fans can call Tony Romo a choke artist but if you utter those words about Ryan excuses start pouring out

I love the way Ryan is progessing athleticly. Rome wasn't built in a day so we have to give him a reasonable amount of time. Realisticly Matt will be in his wheel house for the next five years of his career baring injury. You are correct about Matt's natural athletic skills, he doesn't have the physical tools of a Vick or Russell, but he has something much more valuable..... Work Ethic...

Our front office has done a great job of providing him with weapons of skill, If Baker had worked out to be as dominate as hoped I feel we would all be singing a much different song.

I know there is a lot of disbelief in Matt right now, but I think all will be truly amazed at whats to come in the next five years. Extend him now or we may be really sorry we didn't...

If I was Matt I'd be asking lots of tough questions of AB. Where is my pass protection etc.... he has the ability to win in the play offs but has yet to get a full team effort or even for you punters out there the luck of the draw. Everyone we played in our 1st game went onto the Superbowl and 2 of those won outright, that's tough odds.

Contract extensions don't suit either party at the moment, you can cut other players on the roster if you need to create cap space now and next season seems to have a healthy reserve for FA shopping.

This season is more about TD's ability to bring in the players to give Matt the protection he needs if that is achieved then I'd put 5 English pounds on us achieving a playoff spot and a 1st win in the playoffs. I wouldn't waste a two pence piece on us winning the SB though this year yet but have plenty stached away if we show that potential nearer the time.

Edited by Vinrouge

Ryan will get an ext next offseason. The $$$ and length will hinge if there is a playoff win and how many there are. You don't let a Matt Ryan hit FA unless you're ******** and fortunately the FO is not that. Franchise qb's don't hit FA.

so you extend Ryan contract no matter what next off season even if he doesnt win a playoff game or 2 .. What year do you give Ryan to lead to playoff success before possibly giving up on him

Year 7 or 8 ?

whats the thought process . Ryan will eventually be great or have playoff success? Hope ?

That quote from Blank is probably much the same as one he made 5 years ago about his QB at that time.

Why the need to come out with this kind of public endorsement at this time? The reason is that Blank has his doubts, like anybody would and knows Matt is probably hearing them too, so Arthur wants to reassure his highest paid player, the same way an owner will throw his unsolicited support to a beleaguered coach. If it ain't broke-don't fix it. Conversely, if everything is going smooth why the need for public comment?

If I was Matt I'd be asking lots of tough questions of AB. Where is my pass protection etc.... he has the ability to win in the play offs but has yet to get a full team effort or even for you punters out there the luck of the draw. Everyone we played in our 1st game went onto the Superbowl and 2 of those won outright, that's tough odds.

e.

is it fair to criticize Ryan for 3 lackluster performances in playoffs as well ?

so you extend Ryan contract no matter what next off season even if he doesnt win a playoff game or 2 .. What year do you give Ryan to lead to playoff success before possibly giving up on him

Year 7 or 8 ?

whats the thought process . Ryan will eventually be great or have playoff success? Hope ?

how long did it take Manning? they kept hope with Manning. why cant we? the man is proven, it takes time to take the next step. you need to find a new hobby my friend

That quote from Blank is probably much the same as one he made 5 years ago about his QB at that time.

Why the need to come out with this kind of public endorsement at this time? The reason is that Blank has his doubts, like anybody would and knows Matt is probably hearing them too, so Arthur wants to reassure his highest paid player, the same way an owner will throw his unsolicited support to a beleaguered coach. If it ain't broke-don't fix it. Conversely, if everything is going smooth why the need for public comment?

Bingo . Why did Blank feel the need to state this ? isnt it obvious

where is Bellichick / Kraft or Mike McCarthy/ Public vouching for their Qbs in public

Blank is 100% not sold on Ryan or there would be a long term deal on table

It only makes sense if Ryan is the answer why no long term deal ?

Year 7 or 8 ?

Your dang right you extend him no matte what. It doesn't make sense to take a position that is not a problem and turn it into a concern. there is always going to be a theoretical "upgrade" to every position. The thing is qb is the most difficult position to assess AND procure new talent for and we have a qb who can win game under center. There is no sense in drafting a big "what if" and trading for a better qb will be dang nea impossible.

Year 7 or 8 ?

what about even getting to the playoffs? Chicago and Philly likely won't go belly up in 2012, like they did in 2011

Why didn't they just ip ban him?

Most ISP's use dynamic IPs now, so an IP Ban would really only be effective for a short time. Unless he is using "Business Class" internet, then he probably has a Static IP. Either way, you have to be a special kind of turd to have to discover 57 ways to change your name just so you can post on a MB....

He was repsonding to a writer's question...