Mock Draft By A-Town

A-TowN.-

This is my 3rd mock draft of 4.

Draft:

2. Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson - (6'2 : 314 lbs) - 2011: 47 tackles, 8 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 FF

- Brandon has great combination of size, strength, and quickness. Displays a great initial burst and explosive first step. Uses his arms and hands very well against lineman to shed would be blockers. Great at finding his way into the backfield. Solid bullrush. Strong base and plays with great leverage. Very consistent. Great motor and hustle. Can take over games. Amazing run defender. Still developing as a pass rusher, but has great upside.

3. Michael Egnew, TE Missouri - (6'5 : 252 lbs : 4.53 - 40) - 2011: 50 rec, 523 yards, 3 TD

- Michael has great size, speed, and athleticism. Great hands and catch radius. Vertical threat. Knows how to shield off defenders to catch the ball. Can get up and snatch the ball out of the air. Tough to bring down. Good YAC ability, always fights for more yards. Deceptive game speed. Is a willing blocker, but needs to be coached up in that area, however, I believe he can and will be a solid blocker. High upside with little risk. Reliable player. Hard work ethic, natural leader, and team player. Can be a solid starter, especially if he is groomed after Tony.

5. Matt McCants, OT UAB - (6'6 : 308 lbs)

- Matt is a long, lean, athletic, developmental tackle. Has long arms at 35 3/8". Room to grow and gain strength in his massive frame. Displays quick feet. Flashes a mean streak. Great at mirroring defenders and can ride the defender past the pocket. Displays natural bend and flexability. Has great range. Pulls and gets to the second level well. Very durable. In my opinion, he is very raw but has a future in the NFL at left tackle, he just needs time to gain some strength. With Pat Hill as the new OL coach, this guy can be a coached up into a starter. This makes him a developmental steal.

6. Miles Burris, LB San Diego State - (6'2 : 246 lbs : 4.67 - 40) - 2011: 77 tackles, 20 TFL, 8 sacks

- Miles is a very versatile player. He can play any of the LB positions in a 3-4, in and out. Natural burst. Very good initial quickness. Solid straight line speed. Natural instincts. Hard worker with a great motor. Solid tackler. Natural pass rusher. Not the best in pass coverage but flies to the ball and shows he can be coached up in that area, especially with his speed. Great blitzer. Relentless while pursuing. At worst, he is a special teams beast.

7. Kellen Moore, QB Boise State - (6'0 : 197 lbs) - 2011: 493 attempts, 76% comp, 3800 yards, 43 TD, 9 INT, 175.19 rating

- Kellen has been sliding down the boards like crazy due to his size and questionable arm strength. He is still worth a look though in my opinion and can be a serviceable back up. Throughout his career, Kellen has put up some very impressive numbers against his competition. Kellen is a leader. He is an accurate quarterback. Great football IQ. Can read and diagnose plays at the line well. Gets rid of the ball quickly. Good decision maker. Poised in the pocket. Picks apart defense in the middle of the field. He had a great record at boise with 50 wins and 3 losses.

7. Brandon Hardin, CB/FS Oregon State - (6'3 : 222 lbs : 4.36 - 40) - 2011: Injured

- Hardin was out last year with a shoulder injury. This caused him to fall off the map for a little while, until he repped 225 lbs 24 times and ran a 4.36 40 yard dash. With those reps you can see that his shoulder injury is behind him. The two years prior to his injury, his number were; 2010: 63 tackles, 1 sacks, 3 FF, 3 PBU, 1 kick/punt blocked & 2009: 29 tackles, 1 INT, 4 PBU. He was a special teams beast and lead the special teams in tackles both years. Brandon is a very, very hard hitter and isn't afraid to put his body on the line. Has elite size and speed combination. Reads and reacts well to the quarterbacks eyes. Great against the run and an excellent blitzer. Really high upside with low risk at this point in the draft. Could possibly play all over the secondary. Just search his name on YouTube and you will find some great hits.

UDFA:

- Bobby Felder, CB Nicholls State - (5'11 : 195 lbs) - Career: 152 tackles, 10 TFL, 12 INT, 25 PBU, 6 FF, 3 blocked kicks

- James Rodgers, WR/RB/KR/PR Oregon State - (5'7 : 184 lbs : 4.49 - 40) - Career: 222 rec, 2578 yards, 19 TD, 86 kick returns, 2124 KR yards, 19 punt returns, 261 PR yards, 173 rushes, 1410 yards, 8.1 YPC

- Brandon Joiner, DE/OLB Arkansas State - (6'3 : 255 lbs) - 2011: 48 tackles, 13 sacks, 19 TFL, 5 QB hurries, 1 FF, 3 PBU

Obviously you know I like the first pick since he's in my mock as well - Brandon Thompson would look great in Falcon Red.

McCants is a raw left tackle prospect that could develop but will likely take two years and will probably need to be stashed on practice squad for at least a year - I like the pick though.

The San Diego State LB sounds good but I'm not familiar with him.....yet!

good effort A-Town.

Obviously you know I like the first pick since he's in my mock as well - Brandon Thompson would look great in Falcon Red.

McCants is a raw left tackle prospect that could develop but will likely take two years and will probably need to be stashed on practice squad for at least a year - I like the pick though.

The San Diego State LB sounds good but I'm not familiar with him.....yet!

good effort A-Town.

I am posting videos of some of these unknown prospects, it is taking forever though since it only allows me to post one vid at a time, SUPER LAME!

The Miles Burris kid looks good as a pass-rusher but he looks like he would be 3-4 OLB only - of course Falcons will likely have some of those sets in the Mike Nolan hybrid scheme so he could be a fit there. NFL DraftCountdown credits Burris with only 1 pass defensed in 4 years of starting for the Aztecs - so obviously it sounds like he did not have to defend the pass much - if ever - there.

of course you have him drafted in 6th round - which is where the project players would start coming off the board - Burris would be a project but could develop w/ NFL coaching.

The Miles Burris kid looks good as a pass-rusher but he looks like he would be 3-4 OLB only - of course Falcons will likely have some of those sets in the Mike Nolan hybrid scheme so he could be a fit there. NFL DraftCountdown credits Burris with only 1 pass defensed in 4 years of starting for the Aztecs - so obviously it sounds like he did not have to defend the pass much - if ever - there.

of course you have him drafted in 6th round - which is where the project players would start coming off the board - Burris would be a project but could develop w/ NFL coaching.

Funny thing about being a pass rusher like that. You get better at other things as time goes on.

Let's just say it will be like Schaub part 2 around here...LOL!!!

Yeah I think he could be a fine back up honestly. Possibly get some worth out of him like a Cassel or Flynn. I just think he was dominant in college and while he may have a few flaws, he has a lot more positives. If we ran a WCO he could really flourish.

Yeah Burris is a solid 3-4 OLB type player, He wasn't put in many positions to cover zones or cover man, but I think with his speed and a coach like Nolan, he could develop into more than a blitzer.

Great mock. I Still have to see more film from the former Aztec. If he gains a least 6 more lbs and if the NT position Is taken care of in the early rounds. Then a DE/DT would be all we need for a legit hybrid.

Edited by X-Man21

Whats the verdict on Thompson holding down the nose in a 3-4? I think he can do it, but if he can't i'd rather wait till a later round and draft a true NT.

Allen, Egnew and Ford are really the only 3 TE's that I like alot in this draft. Egnew looks a little faster and definitely has the better production. If we took him there I would be fine or if we took Ford in the 5th or 6th I would be ok with that as well.

If we take an OT in this draft whose spot will he take? We already have Reynolds and Svitek who have been in our system a few years. I wouldn't mind taking Childs as a WR at that spot. He was a beast before his injury. We may could even get him in the 6th.

Edited by Clark Kent

Whats the verdict on Thompson holding down the nose in a 3-4? I think he can do it, but if he can't i'd rather wait till a later round and draft a true NT.

Allen, Egnew and Ford are really the only 3 TE's that I like alot in this draft. Egnew looks a little faster and definitely has the better production. If we took him there I would be fine or if we took Ford in the 5th or 6th I would be ok with that as well.

If we take an OT in this draft whose spot will he take? We already have Reynolds and Svitek who have been in our system a few years. I wouldn't mind taking Childs as a WR at that spot. He was a beast before his injury. We may could even get him in the 6th.

I believe Thompson could be a 3-4 NT, I am still trying to debate this as well. But with that said, I think he can also play 3-4 DE in some situations as well. Even if he cannot anchor in a 3-4, I would still take him based on the fact that Babineaux is getting older, and with Peters being the only other starter type DT on the roster, getting Thompson can only benefit us. With 3 solid starters rotating at the DT positions, we could be set there.

I haven't really seen any 3-4 NT types outside the first couple rounds that would make an immediate impact. I was debating on Ta'amu or Thompson for the first pick, and went with Thompson because I believe he is the better all around player.

This year, we won't fully transition to a 3-4 anyway, so we can put Thompson in the NT postion for now and see how it pans out. If the staff doesn't think he can, then we should go after that Myles guy in UDFA, it couldn't hurt. After a year of experimenting with the 3-4, we should notice if Thompson can or can't be our 3-4 NT in the future, if he can't we can always draft or sign one in 2013.

I was a little undecided about the 5th round pick. I wanted to grab a CB, RB, or even another lineman, but with Baker being an uncertainty and the addition of highly praised Pat Hill, getting McCants here is a high reward type of pick. I don't see McCants starting right away, but with a year or two with Pat Hill, he could be seen as a steal in the future.

2 brothers on the same team...quizz and james rodgers..hmmmmmmmmm, could be exciting...

I think the possibility could be high! Both Quizz and James were electric players coming out of college, and if they are around each other, like they were in college, they could bring out the best in each other.

I have never had a brother, but I have a bestfriend who is like a brother, and when we played sports together, we always competed with each other to see who was better. I know I shouldn't justify the pick like that, but either way James is a versatile player and is just as good as his brother. They are both great players, and they played on the same team throughout the football career, TD should keep the tradition alive. Almost a no brainer pick for us IMO.

Edited by A-TowN.-