Td On Cap Management And Lofton Decision

TD has been managing the cap fine and we will be in a good situation next year. We have 101 mil towards the 2013 cap right now. The only notable FA's next year will be Grimes and Moore.

Yup but technically its better then that... Turner is going into is last year... drafting a RB and releasing him would free up 5 mil... Releasing Dunta Robinson would give us 8 mil of cap space...

Basically we will contracts that we could end and gain alot of cap space... Even more then the guys i named

So we will see what happens

Yup but technically its better then that... Turner is going into is last year... drafting a RB and releasing him would free up 5 mil... Releasing Dunta Robinson would give us 8 mil of cap space...

Basically we will contracts that we could end and gain alot of cap space... Even more then the guys i named

So we will see what happens

Don't forget about Sam Baker! He is in last year of his deal and likely(please dear God) won't be back. Turner could be cut altogether in last year of his deal in 2013. Tony Gonzalez comes off the books, given John Abraham's friendly contract - he could be let go if his production falls off a cliff. Falcons will be in much better cap shape in 2013 to do more things.

Don't forget about Sam Baker! He is in last year of his deal and likely(please dear God) won't be back. Turner could be cut altogether in last year of his deal in 2013. Tony Gonzalez comes off the books, given John Abraham's friendly contract - he could be let go if his production falls off a cliff. Falcons will be in much better cap shape in 2013 to do more things.

Not to forget that there will likely be a salary cap spike due to the new TV deal.

Huh. I can't imagine next season because I'm frothing at the mouth looking forward to this year. I don't care a whole lot how we're set up for 2013 because I'm ready to see them wind this thing up and let it go NOW.

But, I'd hate to have another offseason of *****ing and moaning like this one about our inability to do something dramatic.

Huh. I can't imagine next season because I'm frothing at the mouth looking forward to this year. I don't care a whole lot how we're set up for 2013 because I'm ready to see them wind this thing up and let it go NOW.

But, I'd hate to have another offseason of *****ing and moaning like this one about our inability to do something dramatic.

I checked it out because I'm tired of hearing people whine about TD not knowing how to work the cap. We haven't lost one single player because we couldn't pay for them. We lost Lofton because we didn't want him. The Texans just lost 3 pro bowlers because they couldn't afford them. The Steelers just cut half of their defense and haven't been able to resign Wallace because they can't afford to. The Saints aren't going to be able to afford a thing after they sign Brees and then they have no draft picks to get a few guys on the cheap

We are in a much better spot than a lot of posters here would lead you to believe.

After reading that article, I am just blown away. I'm thinking back on the negotiations between the owners and players and remembering how greedy everyone looked during that entire process. I cannot believe the players agreed to this after seeing how little the cap is going up each year.

If we had our first round pick and we signed Wallace (on top of Julio), I wonder what the reaction on the board would be?

This is part of the reason we traded for Julio. His contract is only 4mil/year. Sure, we could've tried to be players for Wallace, but it would take 10mil/per to get him, plus a first rounder. Not trying to start a debate about the trade, just pointing out the part of the deal that most ignore.

Plus Ovie will be cut I think..

Next year will be awesome, I can tell. With all the room we should have in cap space (due to the likes of TG, Turner, and Dunta possibly leaving) and we should have all of our draft picks (barring any trades this year) TD will really earn his money.

I can see us taking a starting LT, RB, CB in the draft along with a few high tier FA.

where is all this Robinson possibly leaving, Robinson being cut crap coming from? yall are crazy

Robinson is scheduled to make 8 million in 2013. That is just his salary alone, his cap hit will be higher. He'll have to perform better than he has so far for the team to be willing to pay that.

Not to forget that there will likely be a salary cap spike due to the new TV deal.

Well according to that article and this one, (http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56518/clayton-flat-cap-through-at-least-2015), the cap isn't going to increase until 2016. It's going to stay flat until 2015.

I wonder how that's going to affect the Saints considering they've been backloading their contracts assuming the cap was going to increase.

In my eyes this season is both huge for Grimes and Dunta because one of them is history.

It'll be a big year for Willi Mo also I think if he can be productive and stay injury free he'll get a decent pay-day.

Turner TG Ovie and Sackmaker all gone counts for close to 15-18 mill in cap space right there and with a full allotment of draft picks I gotta think we will be making some serious moves next year.LT RB DE anybody.

In my eyes this season is both huge for Grimes and Dunta because one of them is history.

It'll be a big year for Willi Mo also I think if he can be productive and stay injury free he'll get a decent pay-day.

Turner TG Ovie and Sackmaker all gone counts for close to 15-18 mill in cap space right there and with a full allotment of draft picks I gotta think we will be making some serious moves next year.LT RB DE anybody.

If we cut Turner next year we'd be right @ 95.5 million as of now. We'd have right at 23 mil in cap space. Cutting Turner would leave us with 2.5 mil dead money I'm pretty sure since he has a 2.5 mil signing bonus next year.

TD has done a masterful job with the cap with us.

This article indicates that salary cap spike in that people on here have talked about, is not expected to happen - and a flat cap is very difficult to manage when you have a young team as we do , and when big name players still expect more and more money.

We all want to succeed without further delay, but you can't buy success in the NFL because of the limitations of the salary cap, which "punish" overspending. Teams who overpay big names in pursuit of instant success, find themselves wilth less cap room nw and in the future, to address their other needs. Not being active in FA is infuriating, especially when we have limited draft picks, but keeping what we have and consolidating as and when we can within our limited means, gives us the best chance of success.

As tempting as it is to spend a bucketload of cash on a big name upgrade, no player (aside from an elite QB) is worth downgrading 4/5/6 other positions for, or worth putting us in a cap position where we have to blow things up in 2 years and start all over again.