Do Falcons Not See This As A Problem?

Panther Pride

I understand Payton is gonna be suspended etc, but these guys are pretty much stronger now. They've taken the one of the Falcons best defenders, Falcons still obviously want Ryan to be killed because they've made no attempt to fix the o-line, sure the Saints lost Nicks but Grubbs isn't much of a drop-off. Saints have added Bunkley who's one of the best DT's at stopping the run, Falcons have made no effort upgrading the d-line resigning Abraham who's getting up there in age, and Biermann who's shown to only be good for 2-5 sacks a year. There is also doubt that Grimes and Falcons will reach a long term deal.

Do Falcons not see this as a problem?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still the draft and then final cuts as well. We never had a lot of money to work with. Most of our money came because half our team was FA`s. We know what we got with those guys. We brought in Dunta and Edwards and that didn't work out to great for us.

So it makes sense we have knew coaches and now we keep the chemistry and get some players locked up in deals so we dont run into the same prob every year. 17 FA`s is a hard juggling act.

Our coaching wasn't the only problem last season but it was part of the problem. But every year teams think they are 1 FA away from a super bowl or one first round pick away.

No one expected the Giants to pour it on strong when they did. Giants fans where ready to scrap the team and start rebuilding. Wanted everyone fired 1 month before the superbowl.

Are we scared? Not really. We where scared in 07-08. Maybe a little concerned but not scared.

Like the Ravens and Stealers games, us vs the Saints isn't really a matter of who has the most talent as much as who wants to win that day. I guess we should have had a bounty system 3 years ago and we could have won more of those games (couldn't resist the dig).

Edited by danight

I understand Payton is gonna be suspended etc, but these guys are pretty much stronger now. They've taken the one of the Falcons best defenders, Falcons still obviously want Ryan to be killed because they've made no attempt to fix the o-line, sure the Saints lost Nicks but Grubbs isn't much of a drop-off. Saints have added Bunkley who's one of the best DT's at stopping the run, Falcons have made no effort upgrading the d-line resigning Abraham who's getting up there in age, and Biermann who's shown to only be good for 2-5 sacks a year. There is also doubt that Grimes and Falcons will reach a long term deal.

Do Falcons not see this as a problem?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just fishing and answer your question seriously.

I do see it as a problem. The o-line played below average last year - their protection was inconsistent and their run-blocking couldn't be counted on, so that is a real concern of mine. Their D-line was generally good against the run but generated very little pass rush. I hated losing Lofton but I can only trust/hope that TD knows what he's doing. So I'm concerned going into this season because I think the Saints are still the team to beat in the NFCS and, as for WC spots I also think you'll see better records out of Chicago, Philly, Carolina, Seattle and maybe Dallas. I don't see SF, Det, GB or NYG going backwards; so I think you're going to need 10 wins to be a WC in the NFC.

I can only cross my fingers that the new OC and DC are better than advertised.

Not worried at all. Loomis is either trying to win now or is stupid. I'd rather have a GM who builds through the draft building and improving the current roster with the occasional free agent signing. But to sign as many people like the Taints did when your under the cap and give them back loaded contracts is a huge risk. Say, if the Taints were to have unsuccesful seasons or the FA's they signed were busts that cap hit is going to come back and haunt them. However, this is all speculation because i don't know the amount of $$$ that was guaranteed or the details of their contracts.

Not worried at all. Loomis is either trying to win now or is stupid. I'd rather have a GM who builds through the draft building and improving the current roster with the occasional free agent signing. But to sign as many people like the Taints did when your under the cap and give them back loaded contracts is a huge risk. Say, if the Taints were to have unsuccesful seasons or the FA's they signed were busts that cap hit is going to come back and haunt them. However, this is all speculation because i don't know the amount of $$$ that was guaranteed or the details of their contracts.

Yeah, we're all taking you serious here in Rivals with all the Taint references......TATF awaits your kind and appreciates you even more.

You might notice you're a one of a kind in Rivals. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, we're all taking you serious here in Rivals with all the Taint references......TATF awaits your kind and appreciates you even more.

You might notice you're a one of a kind in Rivals. rolleyes.gif

Don't blame me for the name calling. Blame Greg Williams for providing me with the material. Thanks Greg!

i don't think the falcon organization sees the problem. they have a plan in place and aim to execute it regardless of what the saints are doing. i'm with you though.. there's a huge problem brewing. but really, what else could they do?

Loomis is always trying to win now.

His contract skills are one of the best in the league

He always has a plan in place.

the reason most contracts are back loaded is either A: so he can some how get out of it without much cap hit, or B: The TV money is coming and he knows that will help cover enough to still be able to better the team.

Brunkley didnt come with a big cap hit.

Lofton doesnt hit hard till 2013 which will prohbaly be renegotiated

Dunta and Edwards had ? marks and were signed to fairly large deals. Thats what hurts when it doesnt work out. Edwards played with the best Dline and only had 8 sacks. You couldnt expect the same with a lesser Dliine

Dunta was a big ? before the signing then TD gave him a monster deal, Bad move

I still blame you.

You probably haven't noticed, but rarely does a Rival poster call your team the Failcants, Failcons, Falcoons ....

Moma always told me, can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Edited by IHateDunta

The only thing up there that bothers me is the lack of work put into the offensive line, and TD's probably banking on the line getting back to where it was in 2010 with an offseason of conditioning and a couple guys that didn't play last year being able to go this year. Personally I don't think it's a bad bet, it would cost a lot of money to go get a starter-caliber free agent to play anywhere on the line, and most of the guys we had looking to step in at RG last year were young players that were hurt by not having the offseason conditioning program.

The only thing up there that bothers me is the lack of work put into the offensive line, and TD's probably banking on the line getting back to where it was in 2010 with an offseason of conditioning and a couple guys that didn't play last year being able to go this year. Personally I don't think it's a bad bet, it would cost a lot of money to go get a starter-caliber free agent to play anywhere on the line, and most of the guys we had looking to step in at RG last year were young players that were hurt by not having the offseason conditioning program.

which brings me back to the conversation last season about the wasted picks loss on the JJ trade!

Dr. Phil, do we want to rehash that thread?

Maybe one of those 5 picks could be starting in place of baker this year

Edited by FREE Payton

Loomis is always trying to win now.

His contract skills are one of the best in the league

He always has a plan in place.

the reason most contracts are back loaded is either A: so he can some how get out of it without much cap hit, or B: The TV money is coming and he knows that will help cover enough to still be able to better the team.

Brunkley didnt come with a big cap hit.

Lofton doesnt hit hard till 2013 which will prohbaly be renegotiated

Dunta and Edwards had ? marks and were signed to fairly large deals. Thats what hurts when it doesnt work out. Edwards played with the best Dline and only had 8 sacks. You couldnt expect the same with a lesser Dliine

Dunta was a big ? before the signing then TD gave him a monster deal, Bad move

Cool beans. I don't know much about Loomis or your FO so i'll take your word for it. I've known for quite some time that TD is incompent when it comes to finding defensive free agents. Some of the blame can be placed on Vangorder or some on him, we won't really know until they get a chance with Nolan. This year TD stayed clear of major FA signings which leads me to belive hopefully he's catching on. I mean he interviewed Ray Edwards over Skype?!?! Some might say who cares if he interviewed someone over Skype but that puts a big WTF in my head.

which brings me back to the conversation last season about the wasted picks loss on the JJ trade!

Dr. Phil, do we want to rehash that thread?

Maybe one of those 5 picks could be starting in place of baker this year

Honestly it doesn't, we've got a couple guys that weren't ready last year and ideally will be ready this year, unless a prize is available when we pick in the second round we're not going to be looking for immediate starting offensive linemen in the draft. I'm not necessarily in love with that plan but that was the direction TD planned on going in a year before the JJ trade.

Honestly it doesn't, we've got a couple guys that weren't ready last year and ideally will be ready this year, unless a prize is available when we pick in the second round we're not going to be looking for immediate starting offensive linemen in the draft. I'm not necessarily in love with that plan but that was the direction TD planned on going in a year before the JJ trade.

You'd be suprised what a change of scenery can do for a team (new coaches). Ex: Wade Philips and the Texans. Though I do wholeheartedly believe Baker will amount to nothing in the NFL and should go to the AFL i do think that we can get some more play out of or other lineman.

You'd be suprised what a change of scenery can do for a team (new coaches). Ex: Wade Philips and the Texans. Though I do wholeheartedly believe Baker will amount to nothing in the NFL and should go to the AFL i do think that we can get some more play out of or other lineman.

wade phillips also landed two of the top defensive rookies in the draft and he got a CB that was a **** good in FA.

wade phillips also landed two of the top defensive rookies in the draft and he got a CB that was a **** good in FA.

Yea Watt and Joseph were great additions. But that's not what i'm looking at. I'm trying to hint at the fact that there are unproven players on a roster who never reach their potential because of bad coaching. Say Brian Van Gorder went to Houston then Watt might have a 3 sack year and Joseph would have an opposing QB completion % of 100.

Yea Watt and Joseph were great additions. But that's not what i'm looking at. I'm trying to hint at the fact that there are unproven players on a roster who never reach their potential because of bad coaching. Say Brian Van Gorder went to Houston then Watt might have a 3 sack year and Joseph would have an opposing QB completion % of 100.

I get where you're coming from, because Phillips had the talent in Dallas and couldn't get a **** thing done. Koetter could be the same way. He didn't have any talent in Jacksonville outside of MJD, so it's no surprise their offensive numbers were in the toilet. As far as I'm concerned, he's the big question mark. Nolan will get things done, but it may take more than one season. Koetter is going to be hit or miss.

I get where you're coming from, because Phillips had the talent in Dallas and couldn't get a **** thing done. Koetter could be the same way. He didn't have any talent in Jacksonville outside of MJD, so it's no surprise their offensive numbers were in the toilet. As far as I'm concerned, he's the big question mark. Nolan will get things done, but it may take more than one season. Koetter is going to be hit or miss.

i do see what hes saying but you cant turn horse **** into hamburgers

after wade left dallas defense was still bad

I don't think falcons see it as a problem. . . . But concerned. As teams should be AT ALL TIMES. They greatest thing is other than trying to completely revamp the coaching, the team and players of the falcons finally have some consistency year to year and not trying to buy the cow will put us in a better position next year as well. . . Build through the draft, for long-term success. I think you have to look at the long term in this nfc south division. Four really really good or improving teams.

i do see what hes saying but you cant turn horse **** into hamburgers

after wade left dallas defense was still bad

tongue.png Horse Shat: Dunta, Sam Baker, Ray Edwards, Thomas Decoud (Maybe)

Jewels: Kroy Biermann, William Moore, Dominique Franks ( Maybe), Harry Douglas, Corey Peters,etc

There's enough players on our roster that can outshine the horse shat and even make them look like hamburgers.

How can you say you're buliding from the draft when

1. Trade 5 picks for 1 player

2.Recent history of 1st round bust

3. You make big spendings in FA

Trading four picks for Julio was huge. . . But double coverage on roddy gets old and we have 2 great wideouts now imo. Recent history of bust is the problem. Missing on peria in my mind but he did battle injury. The team seams committed to his growth. Matty and Julio I believe we hit the nail on the head. . . But the intention to build is tbere. This year it seems we are content to not spend big money on fa other than tagging grimes (the CB market is a weak draft this year). Content to let lofton go and Abraham's cut, getting tatupa for the price we did I don't see us spending money.