Could Dc Mike Nolan Be Bringing The 3-3-5 Defense To A Close In 2012?

tobyd77

I've been reading little articles and heard from Smitty that Nolan had some great 3rd down packages and that they will be doing some different things when it comes to the personnel groupings on 3rd down so my question is will there be a place for BVG's most loved 3-3-5 defensive playbook during 3rd down situations?

While you are answering I would like to leave with you something Nolan said about the 3-3-5 defense when asked could you ever use it as a base defense. I think you will find this interesting and keep in mind that the receiving TE has become a bigger part of the game now as it has ever been and now some teams are going to the two TE sets. This should set the stage for what Nolan is about to say in response to a fan that wanted to know.

Q: Is there ever a chance an NFL defense will play a 3-3-5 defense as

a base defense? Why or why not? Thank you, Mark Deniz

A: Obviously there are 11 guys on the field and the predominant

defenses that are played today are either a 3-4 or a 4-3, but I will

say that if you look at our Cincinnati game, we played something very

similar to a 3-3-5 which you are referring to. It's very rare in the

NFL and basically it stacks three players on top of three linemen,

leaving five defensive backs in the game. I think this is something

you can do without a tight end in the game, but with a tight end in

the game most defenses in that particular configuration would be out-

flanked to the side where they didn't cover up the tight end. It has

a place in our game, but I don't think it's an every down defense.

I know Smitty and them can't say certain things but I'm going to say it for him I hated the 3-3-5 defense on situations where I felt we need to get pressure on the QB and sack him or try and make him throw it away with a full four front.

Going to show my ignorance again

How is a 3-3-5 different from a nickel back formation???

reson-- everything I've been reading says teams are moving to more and more nickel back formations as the passing game keeps increasing.

reson-- everything I've been reading says teams are moving to more and more nickel back formations as the passing game keeps increasing.

you can easily have 4 DL, 2 LB and 5 DB. OR 2 DL, 4 LB and 5 DB. OR 1 DL, 5 LB/DL, 5 DB

you can easily have 4 DL, 2 LB and 5 DB. OR 2 DL, 4 LB and 5 DB. OR 1 DL, 5 LB/DL, 5 DB

you hit the nail on the head but BVG thought it didn't work. For those that thought Smitty was controlling what BVG was doing I don't believe that because BVG just 3-3-5ed himself out of the NFL. Good luck continuing to use that in the college ranks it may work there.

3-3-5 as used by Nolan would be a much different thing that used by BVG. BVG used it to rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage. If Nolan uses it, he would rush 4-5-6, but the opponents would never know which 4-5-6.

Moore staying healthy would help as well, he could play the LB/safety role you need to make that configuration work. If Biermann or Edwards can cover a little, then there would be enough versatility to make the 3-3-5 a very effective look.

Now he said that we shouldnt use that when a TE is in the game..but if im nnot wrong we playedthat coverage almost all the time when a TE was on the field.. hmm BVG SMH!!!

Well that about sums that up but hey maybe that will work for him in college.

you hit the nail on the head but BVG thought it didn't work. For those that thought Smitty was controlling what BVG was doing I don't believe that because BVG just 3-3-5ed himself out of the NFL. Good luck continuing to use that in the college ranks it may work there.

Oh yeah, I agree. It's going to be interesting seeing what Nolan does, that's what's so awesome about him being the new DC, HE CAN DO IT ALL so if something isn't working depending on how he sets up the schemes he can throw anything against any team. I like that option with Nolan. What I am getting at I guess is, Nolan knows defenses and will make adjustments where BVG would just keep throwing the same things out there wondering why it wasn't working. Same with Mularkey on offense "Predictable" IMO. JMO..............

Edited by GAFALCONFAN

I hate that defense.

I guess well just have to see K.O.G. I hope Nolan is as good as advertised, and I hope the players respond as good as I've heard they do to his coaching in the past regardless of the schemes he uses. I like the idea of Nolan being diverse with his schemes, that says to me there's not much he hasn't seen that can confuse him. How that translates to defensive production I dunno, but I do have high hopes. I feel much better going into this Falcons season with Nolan as the DC than I ever was with BVG being the DC.

We shall see.................

I believe that there will be some form of hybrid 3-3-5 in Nolans Defense. This will be evident once the draft is done. Let's see what develops during the draft with the defensive players that are drafted. If a physical beast of a DT is drafted then you will see the 2-4-5 hybrid develop predominantly due to the the DL and LB youth and speed that gets played. JA55 will be a predominant edge rusher with a physical DT and 4 youthful/speed LB's backed by nickel corners and 2 hard hitting Safety's. Nolan ran this quite a bit on the 49ers and had the youth to move it.