Nfl Draft: Ranking The Tight Ends - National Football Post

g-dawg

Tier 1

Coby Fleener: Stanford (6-6, 244)

An impressive pass catcher who can win both down the field and underneath vs. man coverage. Has the frame and flexibility to develop into a solid blocker as well and looks like a future starting caliber NFL TE.

Tier 2

106421025displayimage.jpgICONCharles looks like a receiver with the ball in his hands.

Orson Charles: Georgia (6-3, 241)

A gifted athlete who can create a lot of mismatches in the pass game. Should be able to improve as a route runner as well. Not quite as polished as Aaron Hernandez as an H-back coming out, but could end up playing a similar type role.

Tier 3

Dwayne Allen: Clemson (6-4, 255)

Is a solid, strong athlete with good hands and body control when asked to go get the football. Lacks ideal balance/leverage into contact as a blocker and would like to see him be more sudden in tighter areas with defenders who want to be physical. However, he's an NFL talent who can be used in a number of ways on an NFL offense.

Tier 4

Deangelo Peterson: Louisiana State (6-4, 243)

An athletic kid who can run and get down the seam. However, is raw in all areas of the game and doesn't seem to have put much work into his trade, I don't know if he wants to or ever will. Nevertheless, physically the guy is worth a look.

Ladarius Green: UL Lafayette (6-6, 236)

He's a big slot guy who can make plays down the seam and can release off the line. However, he's not an in-line blocker and doesn't play well in tight areas vs. man. He has tools to be productive in the pass game, but there are limitations and you need to be creative to get the most out of him.

Tier 5

Chase Ford: Miami (6-6, 245)

Had a good showing at this year's East-West Shine game and for a guy at his size with his body control looks like a option you can draft late and try to mature into an every down type option. Has the frame to add weight and get much bigger.

Michael Egnew: Missouri (6-6, 245)

Has a long frame and the skill set to learn to play with his hand on the ground, but is going to need time. Isn't the type of dynamic athlete either to simply out run NFL defenders and looks limited in the type of routes he's going to be able to separate in. More of a vertical threat guy who needs to adjust to the ball in order to make plays.

Outside of Fleener, I'm not blown away by any of them.

me either cappy.....I think this is the year to just skip the tight end position altogether. If you get Green, you are not even getting a real tight end. I like Fleener but he will be long gone.

me either cappy.....I think this is the year to just skip the tight end position altogether. If you get Green, you are not even getting a real tight end. I like Fleener but he will be long gone.

I've liked Fleener the best as a early pick over Charles/Allen, even as their rankings change every other week.

I don't understand the "Green isn't a TE" comment and I think you're wrong. I watched almost every game he played last year and the dude is real. He plays the "position" of TE, he's 6'6" and 245 lbs, decent route runner, and great hands, his only knock is blocking and I think he's a better blocker than Charles. A little coaching will go a long way with this guy.

He's smart and has a great work ethic, a Falcons kind of guy. I think he has the highest ceiling out of the lot.

Egnew is my late round guy.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Falcons should get a TE this year but if they were to do so, I'd take Fleener in the 2nd, Green in the 3rd, or Egnew in the 5th. JMO.

I've liked Fleener the best as a early pick over Charles/Allen, even as their rankings change every other week.

I don't understand the "Green isn't a TE" comment and I think you're wrong. I watched almost every game he played last year and the dude is real. He plays the "position" of TE, he's 6'6" and 245 lbs, decent route runner, and great hands, his only knock is blocking and I think he's a better blocker than Charles. A little coaching will go a long way with this guy.

He's smart and has a great work ethic, a Falcons kind of guy. I think he has the highest ceiling out of the lot.

Egnew is my late round guy.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Falcons should get a TE this year but if they were to do so, I'd take Fleener in the 2nd, Green in the 3rd, or Egnew in the 5th. JMO.

Regarding LaDarius Green, every tape I watch of him has him split out wide as a receiver or offset 2 yards behind the Line of Scrimmage off tackle. Green probably lines up at the TE spot 1/2 the time or less....

Fleener will be LONG GONE before Falcons pick - long gone - doubt he gets out of first round - if he does, then I think Colts would take him with 1st pick in 2nd round to reunite him with Andrew Luck.

Regarding LaDarius Green, every tape I watch of him has him split out wide as a receiver or offset 2 yards behind the Line of Scrimmage off tackle. Green probably lines up at the TE spot 1/2 the time or less....

Fleener will be LONG GONE before Falcons pick - long gone - doubt he gets out of first round - if he does, then I think Colts would take him with 1st pick in 2nd round to reunite him with Andrew Luck.

It seems be be where the NFL is going with TE's these days. The ability to line up as TE or spit out wide is an asset as I see it. I do believe he lined up as TE more, though I'd have to go back and watch.

Yea, Fleener's going to be gone, if he happens to be there we'd be crazy not to get him.

In my first mock I had Fleener with 2 and Poe with 3, then Poe with 2 and Green with 3, now Fleener and Poe look like 1st rounders. Everybody keeps moving now. I think I'll wait until it gets closer to the draft when the board settles before I put any more thought into it.

By the way I have to admit I'm a bit of a homer about Green, but I do think whoever gets him is going to be very happy.

Hanna has great measureables and will be there for 6th-7th, be a great #2 TE.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/2/26/2825299/nfl-combine-2012-michael-egnew-ladarius-green-james-hanna-test-well

6-4, 252, 4.49(#1). 24 reps. 36 vert(higher then 6-6 Green). Best in 3 cone and short shuttle outside of the FB/TE Drunsmore, and still better than any TE drafted last year. Clearly has the weight/strength to block, the speed to separate, and the height/jump to go get it. Isn't experienced enough to go higher, has potential.

I'm not ecstatic with the Chase Ford hype. I can think of several TE's I'd take before him.

I like Ladarius Green a lot. Great, natural receiver. His biggest knock is he doesn't play the traditional TE role. However, that role is starting to diminish in these heavy passing attacks that we are seeing in the NFL. Even if he landed in a more traditional offense, it's not like we haven't seen TE's with huge questions in the blocking game turn out to be quite serviceable in the NFL.