Nolan's Fab 5 Will Be The Key To This Defense Success In 2012

tobyd77

I'm sure must of you guys have already came to this conclusion about how Nolan likes to operate when he takes over a defenses but I'm bored so if you don't mind I'm going to reiterate. So I'm excited right now because Nolan has had great success with his defenses within the last 3 years from Denver to MIA and what I have noticed about him is that he will seek out the ones that even through the turmoil of that defense that their are guys that stood out with giving a good performance and getting production in what would seem a not so decent team working defense before he got there that he would later scheme to get even more production out of them.

Let's start with Elvis Dumervil according to PFF had 6sks,8 QBhits, and 25 pressures in 08" Nolan comes in to town what happens 09" 17 sks 7 QbHITS, 35QBpr and 3 PD as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

I'm excited this morning because there are at least five guys on this defense that I see right now that what ever production they were giving he is going to scheme to get even more out of them.

John Abraham now must of us might think that John is old and we can't do much with him anymore. Well I got news for all of you my friend Nolan is not a stranger to using a guy Abraham with age to get an increased production.

I remember reading an article on how everyone started saying that LT of the Giants was done he has gotten old doesn't have any gas left in the tank to make a run and get more sack totals and all though he didn't provide a lot in that area Nolan found other ways to get production out of him.

LT had 5 sacks the year before in 92 well when Nolan and Dan Reeves came there Nolan was able to pull out 6 sacks, 3 FF, and 4PD from old LT and that year they went to the playoffs and actually won a WC game against Minnisota but they lost the div. round against SF which was at that point I believe that LT announced that he wouldn't be returning for another season. Practices were a lot harder on your body than along with how the game was played but now the game has change and is perfect for ABE which will help him to keep his body fresher and we may just see him give more production like he gave in the Giants game.

This according to PFF out of 68 total snaps in that Giants game Abe played all but five putting in a total of 62 snaps in the game. Abe is still considered a top three DE according to PFF when it come to other elite passrushers in the game.

Sean Weatherspoon is a Top 5 OLB according to PFF among all other OLB's in a 4-3 and has had good 2011 year but Nolan is going to get even more out of him.

Brent Grimes despite missing some games still managed to finish in the top two corners behing Revis when it

comes to coverage. Grimes is that secondary and we would be nuts without him nothing against Franks but if I can keep Grimes he is staying.

Jonathan Babineaux still got it despite him missing some games when healthy he is easly a top 5 to 10 DT in this league.

William Moore now this guy right here is going to be a guy to really look out for with what Nolan is going to do with him in 2012.

Nolan has at least 5 guys to build this defense around with some great role players who make up the other 6 of this defense. IMO I feel that getting the max out of these guys will cause the others to play at an even higher level on defense.

What I am excited about is the lack of dropping into coverage we will be seeing from Abe. Abe is one of the best pure pass rushers in the league, yet he was dropped into coverage the most of any DE. But people complain he can't consistently rack up sacks. How many times did Allen drop into coverage this season? Ware? JPP? Nolan is going to put guys in position to make plays based off what they can do, not based off what that position is supposed to do in his scheme.

Before the season starts I am definitely in agreeance with you on all those you named. Abe is not too old to rush the passer. Pass rushers can still play at a high level in their mid 30's. Babineaux is not done with. He got injured this year. Still the best DT we have. Moore if he stays healthy is a Pro Bowl S imo.

Having said all that, not knowing exactly how Nolan is going to run the defense so for all we know Sid or Biermann could excel big time in 3-4 packages.

interior??? no no no, spoon gets the d excited by doing plays that deserve the eat eat eat mcs for lunch

DUH!!!!! of course Spoon to me is # 1 too me but they said 5 players and I have seen Dunta Robinson's name more than Peters. Peters was better player than Dunta last season.

Edited by KillaC-Falcon4Life

Corey Peters gets no love he was our best interior lineman last season.
thats not as big a deal as it would have been a ffew yrs ago.. his only competition is jerry who still hasnt fully recovered and babs who play has slipped the last two yrs... vance to me is just as good as peters but gets not as nearly as much snaps as he should...

thats not as big a deal as it would have been a ffew yrs ago.. his only competition is jerry who still hasnt fully recovered and babs who play has slipped the last two yrs... vance to me is just as good as peters but gets not as nearly as much snaps as he should...

Well if all thats true then he still should make the list cause every list i saw had Babs or Dunta on it.

I think Walker may be a tad better, but I always have been partial to Vance Walker.

• 2 weeks later...

PFF shows that wit Abraham did not drop into coverage in 08" his sack totals were very high with 17.

He only dropped into coverage 6 times according to PFF the year.

in 09" he dropped into coverage 38 times and only amassed 6 sacks that season.

in 10" he dropped in to coverage 58 time but gave us 13 sacks that season.

in 11" in dropped into coverage 15 times and gave us 10 that season.

I would like it better if he did not have to focus on dropping into coverage so much in 2012 and they just have him focused on rushing the QB. But make no mistake this guy is still playing at a high level at 33 and now that I have my senses back in tact I will take a 33 year old Abe over an injury prone Mario Williams any day if I'm still getting good production out of him and he was not 96mil to obtain.

In order of importance and impact...

Spoon - He's the new key to our defense. He broke out last season and will set the tone this season.

Abraham - He's our best passrusher, nuff said.

Grimes - Pro Bowl caliber CB, and we need him to play as such.

Moore - I think he's under-appreciated around here. He does miss tackles occasionally, but overall, he can hit like a truck and he has good hands in coverage. Over the past 2 seasons he has had the most picks (7) on the team and 3 FF's. He's a playmaker and he'll be even better this season.

Dunta - I believe he struggled with our scheme in years past, but he showed flashes of being a playmaker. I think he's going to do much better with Nolan putting him in position to use his strengths. With this being a passing league, our top 2 CB's are going to be key for our overall defense.