As Predicted.......eagles Reach Out To Marcus Mcneill's Agent - Pft

g-dawg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/eagles-reach-out-to-marcus-mcneills-agent/

Eagles reach out to Marcus McNeill’s agent

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2012, 9:31 PM EDT

92942303_crop_650x440.jpg?w=250

As the Eagles scramble to replace left tackle Jason Peters, they’ve predictably shown interest in one of the top tackles still on the market.

Agent Alvin Keels tells PFT via email that the Eagles have reached out regarding former Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill.

Keels said it’s too early to say whether the Eagles’ interest in McNeill is serious.

If McNeill is healthy, it should be. But the question is whether McNeill’s neck has healed after an injury that ended his 2011 — and his career in San Diego — prematurely.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will be interesting to see if Eagles bring him in and make this move. Eagles have an all-pro Left Tackle in Jason Peters - but who is going to miss the season - and Eagles seem intent on replacing Peters rather than have poor pass protection.

Falcons?.............not so much.

will be interesting to see if Eagles bring him in and make this move. Eagles have an all-pro Left Tackle in Jason Peters - but who is going to miss the season - and Eagles seem intent on replacing Peters rather than have poor pass protection.

Falcons?.............not so much.

The longer this goes the it looks like we are gonna stick with Baker. Se what he does or doesn't do, then make our move next year by either resigning him or drafting a new LT. If the O-Line does not improve the pick next year could be high so a good one should be there.

Guest Gritz

If the Falcons go into the 2012 season with the same 2 LTs and that part of the line is still very shaky.....there will be no hiding from the deserved beating Dimitroff will take on this message board.

If the Falcons go into the 2012 season with the same 2 LTs and that part of the line is still very shaky.....there will be no hiding from the deserved beating Dimitroff will take on this message board.

agreed....as I have pointed out in other threads, Falcons have a CRAZY amount invested in the passing game without adequate pass protection - that is INSANE.......Check this out:

QB - Matt Ryan -1st rd/ #3 overall pick - approx $12mil/yr

WR - Roddy White - 1st rd/#27 overall pick - approx $9mil/yr

WR - Julio Jones - 1st rd/#6 overall pick - approx $6mil/yr - two 1sts,one 2nd, one 4th, one 6th

TE - Tony Gonzalez - 2nd rd/$7million/yr

So, going into 2012 Season Falcons have invested a total as follows:

$34million in salaries = 28% of salary cap

Two top 10 picks

Four 1st rounders total

Two 2nd round picks

One 4th round pick

One 6th round pick

That is a lot of TREASURE invested in the passing game and Falcons won't spend probably $4 million more to give Matt Ryan more than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball? That is ridiculous......

IF there is a plan in place by Dimitroff/Smith and we see it soon -- I will take back all the criticism and fall on the sword.

IF there is NO PLAN in place and the plan really is to go with Baker/Svitek - and it fails - then Dimitroff deserves to be on the hot seat at season's end.

IF Dimitroff/Smith won't replace Sam Baker because they are embarrased to replace and cut Baker - then that is both stupid and arrogant. I've found in business and in life, that if I make a mistake, the sooner I recognize it and admit it - to myself and others - the better off I am - this applies to everyone in life and every situation - don't run from your mistakes - own up to them.

Well put G-Dawg. Here are my thoughts which may be all together wrong but here they are. Ultimately I believe there were no LTs in FA that the Falcons coveted so they go on to another plan which includes pubically stating "comfortable with Baker/Svtek" lip service while quietly plan on seeing what LTs become available after the draft and preseason. i mean are they pubically going to announce they screwed up & let all our opponents know it.

Here is where I fault the FO. 1. Although we may not have been interetsed in a player why not at least bring them in for interview and work-out. A decent deal may have been worked out. 2. Putting us in a cap situation and the unwillingness to create cap space for us to go after anyone.

If a LT is not found and Ryan is injuried due to constant hits then the FO needs to be held responsible. Constant pressure caused him to develop bad habit last year all ready. The FO has mis-managed the LT position which is quite possible the 2-3rd most important position on offense.

Edited by AEFalcon

I'll be shocked if they don't sign him... they need an LT, McNeill is the best player available at that position and the Eagles will aggressively fill a position of need. They won't wait until the market dictates him to take a lower salary than he is probably worth. They'll sign him because they know he will make their team better. Generally, I'm not overly critical of our FO, but to not even bring the guy in for a workout when our LT's are among the worst in football seems a little bit strange to me.

Edited by SwampyMux12

They have no one at LT now. They have to sign someone. They might sign him out of desparation, but he isn't the player people on these boards think he is. I wonder if Philly will bite the bullet and trade for an LT instead.

We have no one at LT either... :)

You're probably right about McNeill, but I can guarantee you he's a helluva lot better than anything we got right now. We should at least do the due diligence of working out a guy who could make our team better. Sign him to a one year deal to prove himself one way or another, if he's blowing the doors off midway through the season, lock him up for a few more.

Guest Gritz

This board cracks me up...

I love how McNeill is a top 3 LT here but no GM wants to touch him with a 10 foot polelaugh.png

It just seems like a normal or natural fan reaction to me....

Ryan spent much of last season running for his life, particularly in the first half of the season......and particularly from the pressure that seemed to be leaking from the LT position (Granted, some of it came from the RG and Center spot too when McClure was out...).

I'd be much more worried about this board if no one spotted the problem and/or didn't comment about it.

Wanting a better player for a position on the team that was an obvious problem hardly seems foolhardy to me.

This board cracks me up...

I love how McNeill is a top 3 LT here but no GM wants to touch him with a 10 foot polelaugh.png

McNeill is going to get a 1 year deal somewhere. He is too much of a risk to do otherwise. Falcons should be willing to at least "explore/bring in for a workout" - if Falcons did that and passed on McNeill - at least that would show me that they recognize the Left Tackle issue.

It just seems like a normal or natural fan reaction to me....

Ryan spent much of last season running for his life, particularly in the first half of the season......and particularly from the pressure that seemed to be leaking from the LT position (Granted, some of it came from the RG and Center spot too when McClure was out...).

I'd be much more worried about this board if no one spotted the problem and/or didn't comment about it.

Wanting a better player for a position on the team that was an obvious problem hardly seems foolhardy to me.

Gritz, what is your take on what they are going to do?

Are we gonna stay status quot? Draft a LT? or Sign one in FA?

McNeill is going to get a 1 year deal somewhere. He is too much of a risk to do otherwise. Falcons should be willing to at least "explore/bring in for a workout" - if Falcons did that and passed on McNeill - at least that would show me that they recognize the Left Tackle issue.

Pretty sure Detroit passing on him for a 34 year old average LT told the league everything it needed to know ;)

Guest Gritz

Gritz, what is your take on what they are going to do?

Are we gonna stay status quot? Draft a LT? or Sign one in FA?

Bohern, all indications coming from the Branch look like they're going to stay with wHat they have.

I would assume that Pat Hill has scoured all available film on Baker/Svitek. Quite possibly he has told Dimitroff that he can extract better, more consistent play from one or both....

One thing that concerns me about that (Coach Hill saying let's go with what we have) is that seems like a natural thing for a new coach to say/do.

I don't think we'll draft a LT with that 2nd round pick....Looking at all of the draft boards I don't see a difference maker at that #55 slot who would be any better than Svitek. Any available LT at that slot would be better than what I saw from Baker last year though. He was gawd-awful.

But why take another developmental player (LT) at that spot?

Crap, it seems like to me our roster is filled with developmental players....even on our o-line....Hawley, Jackson, Johnson.....don't need another one.

We need a player.

We're (inexplicably) going with what we have.

Bohern, all indications coming from the Branch look like they're going to stay with wHat they have.

I would assume that Pat Hill has scoured all available film on Baker/Svitek. Quite possibly he has told Dimitroff that he can extract better, more consistent play from one or both....

One thing that concerns me about that (Coach Hill saying let's go with what we have) is that seems like a natural thing for a new coach to say/do.

I don't think we'll draft a LT with that 2nd round pick....Looking at all of the draft boards I don't see a difference maker at that #55 slot who would be any better than Svitek. Any available LT at that slot would be better than what I saw from Baker last year though. He was gawd-awful.

But why take another developmental player (LT) at that spot?

Crap, it seems like to me our roster is filled with developmental players....even on our o-line....Hawley, Jackson, Johnson.....don't need another one.

We need a player.

We're (inexplicably) going with what we have.

Agreed, we already have two projects at LT so why take on a 3rd. So I concur that if we don't see one signed it will be "play it again sam" time.