Why Is It?

Falcon Man™

Why is it ok for Panther fans to shower RC with how good Cam is, but as soon as we have something good to say about Ryan the "What is his record in the playoffs?" argument comes out?

Don't get me wrong, I am not just going to accept Ryan is a good QB and not expect to win playoff games very soon, but why is the bar set different for Cam Newton?

Some excuses may include:

"B, b, b, but Ryan had more talent around him."

"We had SO MANY injuries last season."

"Cam took over a team that was in worst shape than Atlanta was when they drafted Ryan."

"The Panthers had a new coaching staff last season."

Ryan did his rookie year what Cam couldn't - carry a joke of a franchise (the prior season) to the playoffs.

He's made it 3 out of 4 seasons and has 4 straight winning seasons.

I think it is pretty safe to say the playoffs wins will be coming very soon.

Stay tuned kids!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Ryan's record in the playoffs?

Falcon fans have had 3 years to shower RC full of Ryan hype. Three years. I say three because the Ryan hype seemed to drop off after his game vs the Packers in the playoffs.

I may not have agreed with the Ryan lovefest and often countered several points made about him. I never complained about the Ryan obsession though.

The story I always got was that they had literally the worst roster that had ever been assembled the season before Cam was drafted, save for the awesome guys that had to be re-signed at the expense of the enormous cap room that their always-brilliant owner and management had intentionally piled up by allowing the team to tank in 2010. Now that that's taken care of, all they need is an offseason for everyone to get healthy and the draft to produce somewhere between four and six viable starters on defense with maybe an upgrade at receiver somewhere in there.

Edited by Serge

Why is it ok for Panther fans to shower RC with how good Cam is, but as soon as we have something good to say about Ryan the "What is his record in the playoffs?" argument comes out?

Don't get me wrong, I am not just going to accept Ryan is a good QB and not expect to win playoff games very soon, but why is the bar set different for Cam Newton?

Some excuses may include:

"B, b, b, but Ryan had more talent around him."

"We had SO MANY injuries last season."

"Cam took over a team that was in worst shape than Atlanta was when they drafted Ryan."

"The Panthers had a new coaching staff last season."

Ryan did his rookie year what Cam couldn't - carry a joke of a franchise (the prior season) to the playoffs.

He's made it 3 out of 4 seasons and has 4 straight winning seasons.

I think it is pretty safe to say the playoffs wins will be coming very soon.

Stay tuned kids!

Because Newton is BETTER than Ryan! Ryan has done little more than control an offense while the talent around him helps win games......until the playoffs start. That's when we see the REAL Matt Ryan, where his deficiencies in arm strength and mental toughness get really tested. I will give him credit for being able to manage a talented offense during the regular season though.

Actually superswamper hit the nail on the head. In being so honest he actually ends FM's question and debate. In some instances the rivals can't stand our consistency and what we have going for ourselves and their jealous. The only thing they have k\left is the hate, Ice's playoff failures, and turning on Falcons fans...if it wasn't for that they wouldn't be here!

your arguing consistency against saints fans? you may want to check back when you re look at that.

Who has more wins in those 4 years? playoff wins? sb wins?

Saints fans have absolutely nothing to be jealous about when it comes to the falcons!

Guest TheIdowu

I simply cannot stand the bandwagon Saints fans! I can deal with the loyal fans of the team. I cannot stand those who just became fans the year the Saints had an outstanding season and won the SB. As soon as the Saints fall off, they will be nowhere to be found and the SuperDome will once again revert back to the days of the brown paper bags.

I simply cannot stand the bandwagon Saints fans! I can deal with the loyal fans of the team. I cannot stand those who just became fans the year the Saints had an outstanding season and won the SB. As soon as the Saints fall off, they will be nowhere to be found and the SuperDome will once again revert back to the days of the brown paper bags.

As much as I think Sean Payton is a slimey snake when Drew was brought in Payton made him his guy. The two douchebags were made for each other, the rest is history.

jesus man! why you have to bring up the bags! lol

Who has two non-winning seasons during that stretch? Thought so...

Alley.Baggett-04.jpg

really man? this is a new low for you. you would have us believe that you would rather have 4 straight winning seasons than the most wins in the NFL since 2006, a 5-3 playoff record during that stretch, and a SB?

oh yah....not to mention an 8-2 record against your biggest rival?

really man? this is a new low for you. you would have us believe that you would rather have 4 straight winning seasons than the most wins in the NFL since 2006, a 5-3 playoff record during that stretch, and a SB?

What else do you expect from this morooooon?laugh.png

NOT THAT YOU NEED ANY HELP BUT 10-2 BRO NOT 8-2

Matt Ryan is held to a higher standard. Part of it is due to being a starter for 4 years now while Cam has just been a rookie. The other part is that Cam exceeded expectations so far in his short career, while Ryan now has had greater expectations and has yet to achieve those (which of course is winning a playoff game).

Personally though, I would take Matt Ryan as my QB over Cam right now. Cam still has a lot to improve on to become a winner in the NFL. Ryan is Captain Checkdown, but at least he's a proven winner during the regular season. He's more accurate and turns the ball over less than Cam. Cam will single-handedly lead his team to a scoring TD drive or two a game, but he'll also have some of the worst passes that not only kill drives but could lose the game for his team.

Edited by bradael

Matt Ryan is held to a higher standard. Part of it is due to being a starter for 4 years now while Cam has just been a rookie. The other part is that Cam exceeded expectations so far in his short career, while Ryan now has had greater expectations and has yet to achieve those (which of course is winning a playoff game).

Personally though, I would take Matt Ryan as my QB over Cam right now. Cam still has a lot to improve on to become a winner in the NFL. Ryan is Captain Checkdown, but at least he's a proven winner during the regular season. He's more accurate and turns the ball over less than Cam. Cam will single-handedly lead his team to a scoring TD drive or two a game, but he'll also have some of the worst passes that not only kill drives but could lose the game for his team.

What Falcon fans nearly always fail to see is the talent around Ryan compared to Newton or Freeman. You put that same talent around Freeman or Newton and I guarantee one of 'em would have a playoff win by now!

What Falcon fans nearly always fail to see is the talent around Ryan compared to Newton or Freeman. You put that same talent around Freeman or Newton and I guarantee one of 'em would have a playoff win by now!

If by putting talent around Freeman and Newton you mean giving Newton a defense along with more weapons on offense, and putting Freeman on a team like the Giants where he wouldn't have to do anything and the defense would get hot enough to make a run every few years, then very possibly yes.