Mock 7 Round For Falcons

VaderMan

I am very pleased with this mock draft. I cant argue with any of the picks except maybe the last. They have us taking an OG, to me we have over-stock at this position, there is plenty of competition at OG at this point. I know a 7th rounder is a reach anyway but I would rather see us reach at DB or WR in that spot.

I previously posted that I wantd Vinny Curry in the 2nd and Ladarius Green in the 3rd, and I would be thrilled with that. I can see why some people want a DT there as well. This mock has us taking a DT in fact.

One last question...Would any of you guys be in favor of putting feelers out for Turner before the draft, then drafting David Wilson in the 2nd, and trading Turner for an additional 3rd? Might even be able to get a 5th or 6th with that trade. Just curious....

http://bleacherreport.com/atlanta-falcons

2nd Round Pick (No. 55 Overall)

Brandon Thompson vs. Va. Tech

Brandon Thompson, Defensive Tackle, 6'2" 314 pounds

Clemson

Brandon Thompson has been brought in for a visit with the Falcons and his mass, along with his style of play, will be a great fit in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and head coach Mike Smith's new defense. Thompson is a big quick penetrator who can play the nose in the three and four-lineman looks.

3rd Round Pick (No. 84 Overall)

LaDarius Green in the New Orleans Bowl

Ladarius Green, Tight End, 6'6" 238 pounds

Louisiana - Lafayette

Green is a good fit as a receiving option at tight end for a year while Tony Gonzalez trains him up to be his replacement. He's got excellent body control in the offense and gets separation.

Green's issues, however, are correctable in blocking technique and route running.

5th Round Pick (No. 157 Overall)

CheeseheadTV's Interview with Oklahoma Tackle Donald Stephenson.

Donald Stephenson, Offensive Tackle, 6'6" 312 pounds

Oklahoma

Donald Stephenson is a greatly athletic, if not raw, tackle.

His agility and kick step have put him towards the top when people talk about guys who are going to be good pass blockers at the next level.

His biggest issues, however, are technique and hand usage. Pat Hill will have fun turning this project into a starter.

6th Round Pick (No. 192 Overall)

Robert Blanton vs. Stanford in 2011

Robert Blanton, Cornerback/Safety, 6'1" 208 pounds

Notre Dame

Robert Blanton is a bigger corner and fits in with Mike Nolan's idea of a big nickel player and he can also fit as a reserve safety.

Blanton adds depth and is the type of player general manager Thomas Dimitroff is looking for as he is a team leader who is willing to do whatever it takes to win.

7th Round Pick (No. 229 Overall)

Draft Breakdown following Hemingqay through two games.

Junior Hemingway, Wide Receiver, 6'1", 225 pounds

Michigan

Hemingway is a speedy fourth option in the passing game. He has good speed in and out of breaks and can get separation.

He got around 30 catches, 600 to 700 yards a year and four touchdowns as an option in the Michigan passing game. Hemingway also returned punts in college and could compete for that job as well.

7th Round Pick (No. 249 Overall, Compensatory)

Garth Gerhart was a Rimington candidate in 2011

Garth Gerhart, Center/Guard, 6'1" 305 pounds

Arizona State University

Garth Gerhart is an excellent fit as depth at the guard and center spots. Gerhart has a Todd McClure aura about him as a tough nasty player who has been leading an offensive line for four years. Gerhart is also a quick and powerful player who fits in either a power blocking or a man blocking scheme.

Undrafted Free Agent Candidate

Charles Mitchell picked off QB Jevan Snead twice

Charles Mitchell, Safety, 5'11" 202 pounds

Mississippi State

Mitchell is a ballhawk who could surprise in camp by winning a starting job.

He is a good fit for the reserve safety competition and could help out on special teams as well as depth.

Someone doesn't like Thomas DeCoud. I love it. Lots of linemen. The concept is good, but I had mine a little different. I would address Defensive End and Offensive Tackle with my first two selections regardless of popular opinion. I don't have the faith in Edwards and Biermann that the front office indicates.

Junior Hemingway, Wide Receiver, 6'1", 225 pounds

Michigan

Hemingway is a speedy fourth option in the passing game. He has good speed in and out of breaks and can get separation.

He got around 30 catches, 600 to 700 yards a year and four touchdowns as an option in the Michigan passing game. Hemingway also

Wow, 6-700 yards a year on 60 catches actually sounds pretty nice.

Edited by Durrtay

I love the Brandon Thompson pick in 2nd round. I'm still not sold on LaDarius Green as a Tight End in the NFL - he definitely is a tall, agile athlete but looks like an overgrown wide receiver to me - can he make the adjustment to tight end and be a better blocker? Maybe but he needs to get much stronger and bigger while polishing the blocking technique.

I love the Brandon Thompson pick in 2nd round. I'm still not sold on LaDarius Green as a Tight End in the NFL - he definitely is a tall, agile athlete but looks like an overgrown wide receiver to me - can he make the adjustment to tight end and be a better blocker? Maybe but he needs to get much stronger and bigger while polishing the blocking technique.

So was Vernon Davis.

The next time Jimmy Graham or Aaron Hernandez throws a block will be the first time - how nice would it be to be able to get away from heavy sets and max-protects to use a guy like that? Goes against past Falcon philosophy. Don't know how it would play in the future.

g-dawg, the things you dont like about Green are the very things that are coachable. He is 6'5 238, he can easily gain 10 lbs which would put right about where Tony G is. Technique is also coachable, not only from the staff but again we have Tony G, who make it his business to teach Green the way. Now what cant be coached is a blessing...6'5 and 4.4 speed! I would much rather take Green over the 2 or 3 that are rated ahead of him.

g-dawg, the things you dont like about Green are the very things that are coachable. He is 6'5 238, he can easily gain 10 lbs which would put right about where Tony G is. Technique is also coachable, not only from the staff but again we have Tony G, who make it his business to teach Green the way. Now what cant be coached is a blessing...6'5 and 4.4 speed! I would much rather take Green over the 2 or 3 that are rated ahead of him.

I don't hate Green.......I'm somewhat agnostic on him. I see the things that people like but I see things that are not to like as well. I suppose in 3rd round he might be worth the gamble - but there is a high boom/bust factor on him IMHO.

Vernon Davis was bigger - i think at least 15lbs bigger than Ladarius. Davis went in top 10 picks of draft - this mock has Green going at like pick #88 overall. I think there is a difference there.

No I was being jokey there. Truth is he was 254lbs and ran a 4.38. Also had bench reps of 33. No comparison AT ALL!!! I would have loved to have him on the Falcons. Would have loved Delanie walker though.

Stephenson is kind of intriquing ........

AS an OKST fan, I've seen him play several games, and I think he could easily play RT and be just as good as Clabo in a year or two, but I also think he could swing over to the LT position and maybe be better than what we have currently on the team next year...definitely a project, but no reason why he couldn't be a LT at a good level in the NFL in two years....

AS an OKST fan, I've seen him play several games, and I think he could easily play RT and be just as good as Clabo in a year or two, but I also think he could swing over to the LT position and maybe be better than what we have currently on the team next year...definitely a project, but no reason why he couldn't be a LT at a good level in the NFL in two years....

Yea, I was thinking he would project to the left side, I dont think he is the mauler that you need at RT, from what I have heard the guy can really dance with speed rushers, sounds like the type of guy might turn out to be a fine LT and worth a couple years to develop ......these are the kind of guys we need to be bringing up on the back end .........

So was Vernon Davis.

http://www.nfldrafts...=2006&genpos=TE

Vernon Davis

6'3"

254lbs

was Vernon Davis coming out of college - link above

so he is 3 inches shorter and 16lbs heavier.......seems a significant difference to me.

Rob Gronkowski was same height 6'6" but he was 265lbs.....almost 30lbs heavier

http://www.cbssports...players/1244303

Jimmy Graham also 6'6" but he was 260lbs....23lbs heavier

http://www.nfldrafts...ar=2010&genpos=

So, all of you comparing Green to those guys above coming out of college, he just is not as big as those guys.....the only one I found that was similiar size out of college was Jeremichael Finley at 6'5" and 243lbs - one inch shorter and 5 lbs. heavier...

I don't think the weight thing is the end all be all - but given his lack of blocking prowess, the junk offense Green played in, and the fact that Green needs to put on about 15-20lbs of muscle to hold up as an NFL Tight End - there are plenty of concerns there - otherwise this guy would be a first rounder, right?

I watch the tapes on youtube and Green looks like a crappy route runner as well.......Other than the height and the speed - what are you guys seeing from a football perspective that has you all hot and bothered and dying to draft this guy?

btw, LaDarius Green's agent should burn this game tape - Green looks putrid in this game to me. Count how many times he is lined up out wide as a receiver or how many times he is offset from the LOS - is that the offense Koetter is going to run? Tell me what you see on this tape that is impressive to you...

when i first starting hearing about LaDarius Green (Ledbetter article and others) and the height/the speed - I thought - "man this guy sounds awesome" and "I would love to have a young weapon at Tight End", etc.....

But eventually you gotta look at the player and what he does on the field - frankly, he just does not look that impressive to me from the highlights I have seen. I just am not seeing the "wow factor" from the limited stuff I have seen on him. What makes LaDarius Green "special" when he's not wearing shorts and an underarmour shirt?

Yea, I was thinking he would project to the left side, I dont think he is the mauler that you need at RT, from what I have heard the guy can really dance with speed rushers, sounds like the type of guy might turn out to be a fine LT and worth a couple years to develop ......these are the kind of guys we need to be bringing up on the back end .........

Right....very quick feet, which is a good thing at LT, long arms, just not very strong/powerful...I think he was like 4.9 range in the 40 at the combine but only did 19 reps on 225....I would prefer a guy in the 24-30 range at LT (I know the long arms give a disadvantage, that just my preference to be able to handle good bull-rush moves)...

His hand use is descent, but again, he really relies on his footwork...

And the fact that he has started at both LT and RT at Oklahoma is an even more of a reason why this guy could possibly be draft selection as we are tired of hear "versatility on the OLine" form our FO and coaching staff...

when i first starting hearing about LaDarius Green (Ledbetter article and others) and the height/the speed - I thought - "man this guy sounds awesome" and "I would love to have a young weapon at Tight End", etc.....

But eventually you gotta look at the player and what he does on the field - frankly, he just does not look that impressive to me from the highlights I have seen. I just am not seeing the "wow factor" from the limited stuff I have seen on him. What makes LaDarius Green "special" when he's not wearing shorts and an underarmour shirt?

G-Dawg...I don't think you need to argue this point...

L. Green is nowhere near the prospect that V. Davis was entering the draft...I totally agree that Green is a little tall for his size/frame and watching film you can see that he is a long strider and sluggish looking (to me)....I question what adding 15 pounds to that frame will do in terms of straight line speed and agility...plus, when you are that tall, lets face it , you are at a disadvantage in terms of leverage at the point of attack in blocking, and the way the Falcons system is, we need a good pass catcher and an above average blocker for our starting TE...

With this in mind, people need to not think of our next TE as a Jimmy Graham type of guy...more of a Heath Miller type...