Time For New Offensive Stategey?

big_D

Does anyone other than me feel like our offensive playbook needs some tuning? When I sit in the stands and almost 90% of the time know exactly what play is about to be run, the opponents have to be twice as smart as me. I personally think we need to change it up a little. The hurry up no huddle works great but after that our base plays don't seem to have enough variety. An double reverse worked on occasion but if we incorporate several unique "out of the box" plays wouldn't we gain some yards as opposed to a flat routine of repeated plays? Especially when a particular team has figured out how to stop some of our repetitive plays, we need to skip them for awhile. I don't know, I have never coached past pop warner ball but what I have seen from our offense got boring. Maybe that's what's in store with new coaching staff. Any thoughts?

Edited by bob_d

Does anyone other than me feel like our offensive playbook needs some tuning? When I sit in the stands and almost 90% of the time know exactly what play is about to be run, the opponents have to be twice as smart as me. I personally think we need to change it up a little. The hurry up no huddle works great but after that our base plays don't seem to have enough variety. An double reverse worked on occasion but if we incorporate several unique "out of the box" plays wouldn't we gain some yards as opposed to a flat routine of repeated plays? Especially when a particular team has figured out how to stop some of our repetitive plays, we need to skip them for awhile. I don't know, I have never coached past pop warner ball but what I have seen from our offense got boring. Maybe that's what's in store with new coaching staff. Any thoughts?

New OC Koetter = new offensive philosophy and playbook

Guest Gritz

Andy Reid has said in interviews that Koetter is one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL.....That makes me happy for 2 reasons:

1.) Whether or not you like Reid you have to concede that he knows how to design and implement pretty effective NFL offenses.

2.) Reid owns the Falcons....He made these comments about Koetter after the Falcons hired Koetter. He knew we needed the help.

I posted this because I fear Koetter may not bring enough innovative plays to our offense that we are certainly capable of pulling off. Call it dumb, whatever, it was causing me some concern. To those making fun of my concern, bite me.

Who cares about innovative plays.

Some football 101 would be a start... screen passes, pass routes other than hoors/Cyrls and outs, back shoulder throws, more than 2 WRs on the field, less Heavy Personel...

I find it hard to believe you don't feel we are beyond footbal 101. If we were'nt then how did we make it into post season? I will admit we didn't execute this last season as well as previous 3 but I think that's a thing of the past.

Everyone concedes that MM was extremly predictable, but even with that, we were a difficult team to stop. Most of our offensive problems were self -inflicted, we would get in these 3 & out lulls, but wouldn't change what we were doing. If DK can eliminate our mistakes, clean up what we don't do well & really take advantage of what we do excell at, Our offensive can be one of the NFL's elite. I think by just having a new coordinator gives us a new stragety, however, the difference will be can the offensive effectively buy into what DK is trying to implement, and can they execute their new scheme in order to exploit the defense time & time again. When a defense thinks they know the play, but your offense can still exploit a mismatch, then you have a offense that is gonna be "hard to handle", and I believe the Falcons can be that

Everyone concedes that MM was extremly predictable, but even with that, we were a difficult team to stop. Most of our offensive problems were self -inflicted, we would get in these 3 & out lulls, but wouldn't change what we were doing. If DK can eliminate our mistakes, clean up what we don't do well & really take advantage of what we do excell at, Our offensive can be one of the NFL's elite. I think by just having a new coordinator gives us a new stragety, however, the difference will be can the offensive effectively buy into what DK is trying to implement, and can they execute their new scheme in order to exploit the defense time & time again. When a defense thinks they know the play, but your offense can still exploit a mismatch, then you have a offense that is gonna be "hard to handle", and I believe the Falcons can be that

That's why I started the thread. Wondering if I'm the only one with a concern.

I know what you mean, but lets face it. As bad as our O line pass blocks, there are only so many things you can do with passing routes that are only 5 yards long, ok....tongue.png

Edited by egoprime II

Andy Reid has said in interviews that Koetter is one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL.....That makes me happy for 2 reasons:

1.) Whether or not you like Reid you have to concede that he knows how to design and implement pretty effective NFL offenses.

2.) Reid owns the Falcons....He made these comments about Koetter after the Falcons hired Koetter. He knew we needed the help.

Oh man, you reminded me of something Bill Walsh (49ers coach) said once about a coach Atlanta hired, he said it was a good move, the team needed a good coach like so and so....

Of course Walsh's team then dismantled our Falcons time and time again no matter who the coach was. I think Glanville has some success one year but that was about it.

I think by default we have new tendencies, actually no tendencies right now. So, for at least a few weeks into the season we are ahead of the curve. The challenge will be to try to stay ahead of that curve throughout the season and keep other teams off balance. I just want us to be able to cash in early in games when we get other teams off the field and get good field position and/or red zone opportunities.