Breaking Down Curtis Lofton's Deal

clownorg

New Orleans fans want to know because they want to see how Lofton impacts a tight cap situation. Atlanta fans want to know because the Falcons tried to keep the guy who has been their middle linebacker, but only at the right price. Tampa Bay fans want to know because the Bucs showed some mild interest in Lofton and could have been interested if his initial asking price dropped enough.

Well, Lofton’s asking price dropped quite a bit from where it started, which I’ve heard was somewhere above $8 million per season. But it didn’t drop enough for the Falcons or Bucs to step back into the game. Lofton also signed a deal that’s very-cap friendly for the Saints in the first year.

Let’s take a look at contract numbers ESPN.com just obtained.

Lofton got a five-year deal that averages $5.5 million per season and could end up being worth as much as $33.5 million if he reaches escalators in the final three years of the deal. Lofton got a $5 million signing bonus, but his first-year cap figure will be a very friendly $1.7 million because his first-year base salary will be only $700,000.

This deal is back-loaded because Lofton is scheduled to get a $5 million roster bonus in 2013, when his base salary rises to $1.1 million. In 2014, Lofton’s base salary is only $1 million, but he’s scheduled for another $2 million roster bonus. In 2015, Lofton is scheduled to earn $2.4 million in base salary and collect yet another roster bonus for $4.5 million and a $100,000 workout bonus.

In 2016, Lofton’s base salary rises to $5.4 million and he’s scheduled to receive a $100,000 workout bonus. The final year of the deal (2017) is voidable and Lofton is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary.

Lofton’s biggest cap hits will come in 2013 ($7.1 million) and 2015 ($8 million).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the usual breakdown for a guy whose physical condition you're not entirely sure of. CL has to make it through 2012 in one piece before the big money (aside from his initial signing bonus) is on the table. And the Saints have plenty of opportunity on the back end to cut and run if they need to. Definitely a team-friendly contract.

Looks like a good contract for Both sides... The saints got him at a good price (cap wise) in his 1st year.... Lofton will make his money overall... Dude will reach those tackle escalators...

I think this hurts Vilma the most... Basically Dude has to know he is gone next year when Lofton start to make his money.

The funny thing out of all of this is that the Saints wanted to sign Lofa.... They wanted to bring him back for another visit when he was leaving our facilities... We didnt let him leave without a contract tho... So they end up signing Lofton.

My honest opinion is... I think what hurt Lofton the most coming back here is his price was so high at first (From what ive read he was looking for 9-10 mil a season) ... We had to sign Lofa to cover our ***.... After that signing tho... We wasnt going to meet his price even when he came down on his price.

But you're happy we're paying RayRay $30M and Dunta $57M? OK.

Where was I quoted saying that? I'll admit I was happy we addressed the needs when we picked them up, but, I'm not happy with their performance. They were the best available at the time.I hope Nolan changes that. If they still underperform, I'll be happy to see them off the roster in 2013.

Where was I quoted saying that? I'll admit I was happy we addressed the needs when we picked them up, but, I'm not happy with their performance. They were the best available at the time.I hope Nolan changes that. If they still underperform, I'll be happy to see them off the roster in 2013.

The Dolphins/ Nolan did want Ray Edwards as a FA.. Offered him more money.... So im interested in seeing what Nolan can do with him... He had to have an idea of what he would do with him.

Also... Dunta Robinson has to BALLLLLLLLL out... If not.. We could cut him and gain 8 mil in cap space next year.

maybe lofton wouldn't sign with atlanta for this deal? i'm curious what atlanta offered lofton - does anyone know that, probably not...

from hearing lofton speak he wanted to go to new orleans and signed a lesser deal to do so.

It was less... If we offered him this... He would have been back here

Looks like a good contract for Both sides... The saints got him at a good price (cap wise) in his 1st year.... Lofton will make his money overall... Dude will reach those tackle escalators...

I think this hurts Vilma the most... Basically Dude has to know he is gone next year when Lofton start to make his money.

The funny thing out of all of this is that the Saints wanted to sign Lofa.... They wanted to bring him back for another visit when he was leaving our facilities... We didnt let him leave without a contract tho... So they end up signing Lofton.

My honest opinion is... I think what hurt Lofton the most coming back here is his price was so high at first (From what ive read he was looking for 9-10 mil a season) ... We had to sign Lofa to cover our ***.... After that signing tho... We wasnt going to meet his price even when he came down on his price.

As someone already posted I think lofton was butt hurt that we didn't come close to his initial demands and was probably even more upset that we signed lofa so I think we moved and to be honest I still dOnt think it was worth it tO bring Jim back

The Dolphins/ Nolan did want Ray Edwards as a FA.. Offered him more money.... So im interested in seeing what Nolan can do with him... He had to have an idea of what he would do with him.

Also... Dunta Robinson has to BALLLLLLLLL out... If not.. We could cut him and gain 8 mil in cap space next year.

It was less... If we offered him this... He would have been back here

I think we will probably cut him anyway and I think a sleeper to replace him is darrin walls

2012 cash= 5.7M Cap=1.7M

2013 RB converted to SB most likely cash=6.1M (11.8M) cap=3.35M

2014 RB converted to SB most likely cash=3M (14.8M) cap=3.917M

2015 6.84M dead money to cut, 7M cash to keep to keep cap=8.17 (if RB converted to SB) or 10.92 (if not converted)

Its a 3 year contract for 14.8M and the taints end up with 6.84 of dead money in 2015

But you're happy we're paying RayRay $30M and Dunta $57M? OK.

So if Abe only has 5 sacks this season and Ray has 6, how would you feel having dogged Ray and wanted Abe back and saying we would feel sorry if we let Abe walk? But of course by the time it happens, your story would have changed a million times.

So if Abe only has 5 sacks this season and Ray has 6, how would you feel having dogged Ray and wanted Abe back and saying we would feel sorry if we let Abe walk? But of course by the time it happens, your story would have changed a million times.

The problem with that is If and it want happen. If abe gets 5 sacks the rest of the team will have 7 combined

Yea it looks like Loomis took TD to school on this one.

That is one of the stupidest things ever.

Loomis did not take TD to school.

LOFTON is the one who chose to sign there. He could have signed here if he wanted , but no he wanted to be a jack *** and price himself out even out of Tampas league.

We put an offer on the table and said take it or leave it. We did not blink.

We drafted a clone of lofton in Dent last year, and then this off season he signed veteran insurance who is 10 times better in pass coverage then lofton ever thought about being.

Lofton just went to a sinking ship who STILL does not have a pass rush. and will probably lose 2 or 3 starters on D to suspension.

Mean while we actually IMPROVED our pass coverage at linebacker.

Td is the one who took people to school

2012 cash= 5.7M Cap=1.7M

2013 RB converted to SB most likely cash=6.1M (11.8M) cap=3.35M

2014 RB converted to SB most likely cash=3M (14.8M) cap=3.917M

2015 6.84M dead money to cut, 7M cash to keep to keep cap=8.17 (if RB converted to SB) or 10.92 (if not converted)

Its a 3 year contract for 14.8M and the taints end up with 6.84 of dead money in 2015

Where is your math coming from.. It clearly says Lofton cap hit in 2013 is $7.1 million