So, Question For The Intelligent Ones

So what was the purpose of suspending the coach if you're allowed to go and find someone equal or better outside? That doesnt hurt the organization, it can help it. Just think. MS gets suspended and we go and hire Bill Cowher to come and coach.

Yeah I know, it's stupid. Goodell is showing weakness towards the Saints. He got roasted by many for being too tough on them and is now trying to lessen the blow for some reason..

if Tom Benson is judged to be blameless, then why couldn't the Saints hire another coach from outside. The suspension was Payton's punishment, the fine and loss of draft picks was the teams punishment.

Then why fine the organization (Benson) of $500k if he's blameless? The team isnt paying the $500k. Benson is. Edited by Flying Falcon

Guest Fibonacci

good questions Flying falcon.

I understand your questioning. cause right now it looks like the saints are pulling the sheet over goodells head right now and saying thank you while doing it.

cause check it out.

Vilma was talked about last year being let go for cap space. well you could have a safe bet he would have been really looked at to be let go if the team needed some extra cash to spend on other players.

well good ol' goodell said that with a player being suspended that there money will not go to hurting the saints cap space.

see what I heard was, they get to try Lofton out for a year, bench vilma and not have to pay. and then make up there mind next season who stays or who goes. or maybe a year and half will give them time to explain to vilma why they have to pay him less because he will be looked at a lot if a wrong hit happens.

Do you think the NFL would do this for us?

I'll infer that you believe the Saints are getting some kind of preferential treatment. Remember:

- this is a first offense, so leniency might be in order.

- Goodell also has no basis for comparison in rendering a judgment.

- It's hard to punish the guilty without affecting the innocent (fans)

- Rich McKay is a member of the league competition committee. That might actually help the Falcons against an imagined threat of negative bias.

Do you think the NFL would do this for us?

They would have to now and for every other team if they were ever in a similar situation in regards to a coach being suspended.

Now keep in mind most teams would probably fire the head coach and clean house in the front office after something like this came out. Payton is different because he won a Superbowl and it's New Orleans but if it were a team like the Cardinals or Bears they would probably clean house.

If something like this happened with us Mike Smith would probably be fired.

I'll infer that you believe the Saints are getting some kind of preferential treatment. Remember:

- this is a first offense, so leniency might be in order.

- Goodell also has no basis for comparison in rendering a judgment.

- It's hard to punish the guilty without affecting the innocent (fans)

- Rich McKay is a member of the league competition committee. That might actually help the Falcons against an imagined threat of negative bias.

I feel as though the main reason why he is letting the Saints hire from outside the organization is because of your second point. A lot of influential people felt as though he was too harsh and has since softened up a bit. Now Payton can appeal and hire someone like Parcells, but that wasn't the case immediately prior to their punishment.

Edited by Falcanuck

I actually think it would be better for the team to not hire from outside because who knows what a new philosophy/culture can do to a team that is already successful. If Parcells tells Brees to do something one way but Brees likes to do it the old way (i.e. Payton's way) that's no good.

Stop complaining... the absolute worst (best for their rivals)) thing the Saints can do is hire Parcells to be interim HC. I'd be laughing my arse off.... what a circus that would create for the entire season. I can only believe that Parcells isn't so stupid as to actually do it.

Well like all of you I am a die hard Saints hater, so they can't dish out enough dirt on them for me. However, my rational side tells me that Goodell is just trying to send a CLEAR message to the league about how serious he is on player safety. That is his real intent, and he does not want to hurt the Saints anymore than he deems necessary to send that very strong message. After all, why would he want to hurt them? While we may despise them, they are a very good story for the NFL in general. A team that struggles since its inception suddenly explodes into greatness after the city it represents undergoes a horrific disaster.

Man you couldn't ask for a better PR story for the NFL than the Saints. So I think Goodell has tried to find that right balance in his actions against them, and overall I think he has done well.

Now since I am a Falcon Fan - THROW EM UNDER THE BUS ROGER AND BURN RUBBER ON THEIR CORPSE !

So what was the purpose of suspending the coach if you're allowed to go and find someone equal or better outside? That doesnt hurt the organization, it can help it. Just think. MS gets suspended and we go and hire Bill Cowher to come and coach.

Who would take a position with a 1 year life span ? Most of those high - profile coaches won't even consider it . Also Payton has to sign off on whoever is going to be the coach . He's not going to bring in a coach who's a threat to his job . People are getting a little worked up over nothing . The Saints are going to have to get their coach from within .

That's true. It's like getting a free trial run at a coach you could actually hire, and then fire MS. Not fair, or is it?

I'm just not sure how hiring a "name" from the outside helps all that much.

Not like either coordinator is worried about the Name firing them. The players will not respect the Name if they lose 2 games in a row. Not like the Name can come in and make any changes. Is the Name gonna give the "Win one for the Gipper" speech every week?

The Name would really just be a figurehead, someone for the ESPN talking heads to ramble on about.

smitty never wrked for or under cowher... The reason the "aBIGTJNA" is even being considered is that

1 sean wrked under bill for yrs and they run a similar kind of team

2 only makes sense when you kno your team isin good hands..

That doesnt give them any kind of advantage.. the players are wat makes tthis team ultimately successfull or not so bring in parcells it wnt change a thing...

If our coach gets suspended for doing something he shouldnt be doing, can we hire a replacement for him?

The league does not have the authority to tell a team it can't hire a coach. Its not Goodell being weak or soft or responding to pressure; he simply does not have that kind of authority. The owners would never allow that sort of precedent: giving the commissioner the power to prevent an organization from hiring a coach.