Misplaced Faith

VaderMan

So many of you guys didnt like my idea of drafting Curry in the 2nd. I say why not? Because we have the great Sid-Vicious and Beer-Man lurking! Please with that non-sense, again they are not proven, especially Beerman who was given the starting job, so its safe to say he is out of consideration as nothing more than an above average rotational DE. I will give you some leee-way on Sid, simply because he hasnt been a starter but then again thats how Beerman started out. If you are bringing it in practice, and dominating, showing you can play with starting NFL OTs, you will play on Sunday. Obviously Sid and Beer dont do that. They are average to above average players...with room to improve I do recognize that. Some of you act like if those were our two starters they would each put up 10 sacks, and we NO thats not the case at least with Beerman. Look guys it is what is, they are who we thought they were, until something changes. I go by what I see, not what I hope for...and I see two average to above average DEs, nothing more. Those two players would probably fair better as OLBs in a 3-4 scheme...well we dont run that here, at least not yet. So I am all for keeping them both because they are useful and can still improve, and if Nolan goes to 3-4 perhaps we will see what many of you hope for...cause you sure dont have any proof or results to go on. Beerman started an entire years and regreesed big time. I dont even want to see Sid as the starter, save me the pain now, I accept each for what they are...role players.

Im not saying I KNOW Curry will be a hit, I am saying he is probably the best option at a NEED position at that point in the draft. i am all for taking a big DT as well, just someone up front who can make a difference CONSISTANTLY, cause we sure dont have that PROVEN on the roster as of today.

One final note, I agree with most that Nolan will get a little more from the core players than BVG did, in some players...a lot more...but if your talent and can play and dominate at this level it will show REGARDLESS of the coach. Just look at our offense, talent every where and even in MMs ridiculous scheme all the stars shined. Yes coaches can and should maximize talent, exploit matchups, coach-up, and make in game adjustments but they CANT manufacture talent! The players are what they are for the most part.

I'm not 100% against Curry, but not 100% for him either. He seems like more of a 4-3 guy to me. I know we will be using some of that, but really how much. Curry is not a lights out athlete, there is never a guarentee at any position, but the Falcons really need to hit on their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think as a prospect, I personally see guys like Dwayne Allen or which ever RB on the board as a better prospect. This DE class is not that strong and it almost seems as if so much attention has been paid to our pass rush that anything would do.