Bvg Was Weak With The Players. What Is Nolan's Reputation?

Radiohead

I get the overwhelming sense that none of the players cared much for BVG.

Cannot say I ever really heard any of them talking about him -- believe most of them deferred to Smith as it would seem that most players really like having him as a coach.

From the little bit I have heard, Nolan is an intense guy and the Dolphins defense last year was as good as it was, in large part to Nolan.

Anyone have any further insight?

Fins fans loved him and hated losing him. Where pissed he left, but understood why he would.

BVG i think was more made fun of by the players. They laughed at him and not with him. He looked goofy and talked funny. But i think the players probably liked him as a cool guy. I don't think he commanded the same respect Nolan does. But it was clear from the playoff game they respected BVG. The D went out and played hard for him. They tried.

It was almost like the players knew he was leaving and tried to send him off strong.

But Nolan is known for going to teams with weak D`s and improving them. Where BVG was probably just another cog in the machine. Nolan is more a D machine himself and i think Smith respects Nolan enough to let him do his thing.

But Nolan isnt god either. He cant walk on water or perform miracles. Dont expect the D to be overhauled changed right from the start. It will change gradually and improve at a faster rate. Even the find D i think stunk last year until weak 4 then they poured it on pretty strong.

Everywhere Nolan goes the D improves remarkably. That said, it's usually a team with a poor D to begin with, whereas we are already a top 10 D except for of course 3rd downs and passing. Hopefully he can vastly improve those areas of ours and make us a top 5 D.

BVG = Patrino

Good college coaches but not good NFL coaches.

A "kid" (college player) is going to respect them (the coach) because they are coaches and are older.

Coaching a grown man who is making much more $ than the coach is different. You have to earn the players respect.

Niether of these coaches could do that.

Nolan, 52, has been an NFL defensive coordinator for six teams over 14 seasons and is generally regarded as one of the league's best.

"Any time you subtract a quality like that from your coaching staff it's a negative," CBS analyst Dan Dierdorf said. "There are only a handful of coordinators in the league that are just rock solid and you know that success will follow them wherever they go, and Mike's one of those guys."

The defense got much better under Nolan after finishing the 2009 season ranked 25th in points allowed and 22nd in total yards under former coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.

In Nolan's first season the Dolphins improved to 14th in points and sixth in total defense, and in 2011 finished sixth in points and 15th in total defense.

"Anybody who watched the team play the last couple of years, the very first thing you took away from the whole deal was how well the defense played," Dierdorf said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-lose-mike-nolan-and-schedule-three-2107668.html

I don't have any insight on the guy, but as for me, Nolan's reputation was duly noted when he let Curtis Lofton loose to seek employment elsewhere.

Me too, #50 seemed solid, for Nolan solid isn't going to be good enough. I expect there will 2-3 guys on defense that play significant better in Nolan's scheme. That soft zone that drove us fan's crazy had to be doing the same thing to the players on defense.